Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamsandart

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
New Powerbook 15in with Warped Top?

Just got my new Powerbook 15in a couple days ago. On thing I noticed was the screen top when closed almost looks like 'wings' they curve up from the latch to the sides so much. I compared this to some others in the display area and mine seem the worst.

This is mostly a desktop computer, but just doesn't seem right. Should I send it back? Any other 15in owners see this? Will Apple do something about it? The 15in in general seems to have this design 'problem' from what I see, nothing like the seemingly more solid design on the 12in.

Thanks for any input.

Maybe a picture might help, my best advice is if this is not effecting performance of the screen then don't bother with it. You could end up not having the computer for a few weeks while it is fixed. If this warping does begin to bend the screen or cause problems then have it fixed.

dreamsandart

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
A couple reasons I don't want to return this Powerbook are; I've been waiting months to replace a barely usable ibook (and now dead), and the screen itself is fine - no dead pixs. Its just that the top doesn't lock down it on the edges and there's this gap. Everything else is solid and feels fine.

qubex

macrumors 6502
I'll be getting my new 15" in a couple of weeks (June 1st or 2nd) but you can be sure I'll reject it if it isn't in perfect in every sense. That includes warpages, scratches, and other assorted damage.

Personally, if you can spare the time, I say send it back. You're not someplace for your dealer to dump defective materials - you're a paying customer!

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
dreamsandart said:
A couple reasons I don't want to return this Powerbook are; I've been waiting months to replace a barely usable ibook (and now dead), and the screen itself is fine - no dead pixs. Its just that the top doesn't lock down it on the edges and there's this gap. Everything else is solid and feels fine.

I don't know that it's warped. I just got a new 15" 1.5 myself and I've noticed the gap - you can sort of rock the screen back and forth from side to side when it's closed. My assessment is that is is just the side effect of Apple choosing a center latch of the sort it did. If it had gone with a Thinkpad like system with latches on the left and right side, I think that would provide a tighter closed top. Next thing you know, I'll also want the little pointing eraser from the Thinkpad, and the 7500 hd... and the FireGL card... oh, that IBM would put a G4 in a TP for me... That said, I do love my PB - although I wish the closed seal was better... there's also a strange feel to the aluminum when you drag a hand across it - sort of has a vibration or resonation feel to it... also strange.

LG

powerdave

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2004
Hamburg
I've had my 15" PB about 3 weeks and have noticed the same thing, although I don't consider it to be much of a problem. I'll be keeping an eye on it though! Otherwise I'm delighted, it's my first Mac and it's a pleasure to use.

I think the strange feeling you get touching the aluminium is actually electrical current? It doesnt happen when it's just running off the battery.. and the mains power supply isn't earthed.. is this safe/normal?

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
powerdave said:
I think the strange feeling you get touching the aluminium is actually electrical current? It doesnt happen when it's just running off the battery.. and the mains power supply isn't earthed.. is this safe/normal?

I felt that too at the Apple Store in SoHo on all of the PowerBook models. I think it's electric current building up...but your don't feel it just over the battery but all over the palm rests. It's probably just the current from the wall going into the battery.

The warped screen is definately because of the single latch. The 12-inch doesn't have the same problem, but the 17-inch does. Apple should leave the 12-inch with one latch, put two latches (same design as the 17-inch) on the 15-inch PowerBook, and put three latches on the 17-inch. Apple must be able to find some way to make it look stylish.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
powerdave said:

Someone else mentioned this a while back. Sounds a bit scary to me.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
Tingly and other weird things.

Ok i just got my new 1.5 Alu and i like it BUT, IT is SI god damn HOT!

I mean I cannot understand how I am supposed to type with my hands on the palm rest, this is really ridiculous!!!

I cant undrestand how there were some people claiming that the new powerbooks were cool.

This is not cool under any circumstances! Or any subjective views, this is a quantifiable HOT! Burning hot and my hands TINGLE TOO much, I am finding this really disturbing.

is my book screwed or what is happening

Maybe the lid warps because it is so hot! :eek:

This is as hot as a stove I am sweating, right now!

aussie_geek

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Sydney Australia
Grokgod said:
Ok i just got my new 1.5 Alu and i like it BUT, IT is SI god damn HOT!

I mean I cannot understand how I am supposed to type with my hands on the palm rest, this is really ridiculous!!!

I cant undrestand how there were some people claiming that the new powerbooks were cool.

This is not cool under any circumstances! Or any subjective views, this is a quantifiable HOT! Burning hot and my hands TINGLE TOO much, I am finding this really disturbing.

is my book screwed or what is happening

Maybe the lid warps because it is so hot! :eek:

This is as hot as a stove I am sweating, right now!

Try setting your energy saver preferences in the energy saver control pane to reduced processor loading. See if that helps..

Otherwise maybe you should consider resetting your PMU.

aussie_geek

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.