Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 8, 2005
I'm looking at my storage options as my iTunes library is getting bigger and bigger by the week just now.

One option is to have a NAS running as an iTunes server. It seems to be a very popular option these days and would save having to have a Mac turned on the whole time, especially for streaming to Apple TV.

But, one thing which confuses me is, how are you able to sync iPods from an iTunes library being shared? I always thought this wasn't possible, but there seems to be so many people running iTunes servers now that there must be a solution.

So I was just wondering how you guys handle this?

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
I'm looking at my storage options as my iTunes library is getting bigger and bigger by the week just now.

One option is to have a NAS running as an iTunes server. It seems to be a very popular option these days and would save having to have a Mac turned on the whole time, especially for streaming to Apple TV.

But, one thing which confuses me is, how are you able to sync iPods from an iTunes library being shared? I always thought this wasn't possible, but there seems to be so many people running iTunes servers now that there must be a solution.

So I was just wondering how you guys handle this?

NAS iTunes server options aren't really all that great anymore... they only work for audio, and you can't sync devices with the library. Until Apple releases some sort of server package, or the Firefly Media Server software is updated (this is the package that all of the NAS boxes I've seen uses), the best (only) option is to have the library hosted on a computer, and host the media itself on the NAS.

The Firefly project was pretty much dead for over a year or so, but I have heard rumblings that a new group of developers are looking to pick up where it stopped.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.