Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
What's the limit? Have any of you ever been warned for going over the limit? What did AT&T say, etc...?

I'm in East Central Illinois and half of the time I'm roaming on Cellular One's network because AT&T have bad coverage in small towns here. I used about 50mb of data (roaming) the first day I got it, now I'm using quite a bit less, but I'm still a bit worried about what AT&T will say about it.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
i think the rule is that any month you roam more than you stay in the network you get a warning they will boot you

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
It's stated in the contract you signed and the TOS.

The Terms and Conditions of our data plans (including unlimited plans) provide an "off-net usage" allowance that is equal to the lesser of 6 megabytes or 20% of the kilobytes included in your plan. To assist you with knowing when you are using another carrier's network, we have changed the label on your wireless data device screen to display "Off Network". Please be cognizant of this network label and work to limit your data transmission while outside the AT&T data network boundaries. The AT&T data network coverage map is available at www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer.

And yes, AT&T will boot you if you roam too much.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009

Does anybody here have personal experience with this? 6 megabytes is ridiculous. Also, I don't remember signing anything like that.

jmmo20

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2006

i'm not in the US and domestic roaming sounds ridiculous to me but aren't those iphone data plans unlimited? 20% of unlimited kilobytes is still unlimited, despite the fact they have a 5gb cap of sorts.. that's not n the contract while unlimited data is.

am I wrong?

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
i'm not in the US and domestic roaming sounds ridiculous to me but aren't those iphone data plans unlimited? 20% of unlimited kilobytes is still unlimited, despite the fact they have a 5gb cap of sorts.. that's not n the contract while unlimited data is.

am I wrong?
Looks like AT&T just increased the allowable roaming data to 24MB OR 20%, which ever is lesser. That's how they deal with unlimited plans. ;)

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/messaging-internet/media-legal-notices.jsp

Read your contracts.. yes, you did agree to this.

AT&T doesn't give a hoot about voice roaming domestically, but they do cap domestic data roaming.

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
Looks like AT&T just increased the allowable roaming data to 24MB OR 20%, which ever is lesser. That's how they deal with unlimited plans. ;)

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/en_US/messaging-internet/media-legal-notices.jsp

Read your contracts.. yes, you did agree to this.

AT&T doesn't give a hoot about voice roaming domestically, but they do cap domestic data roaming.

Well I've used almost 100mb in domestic roaming since wednesday and haven't been warned. The "wireless service agreement" that I digitally signed does not have any mention of this.
It does say that it "includes by reference" AT&Ts terms of service though.
I do feel that they should have told me that there is a domestic roaming limit on data.
What I would like to hear are personal experiences of going over this limit by MR members.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2009
I've never turned data roaming on on my iPhone. I'm in the US on AT&T, as long as I stay in the country, is there any charge for data roaming? Should I just have it on by default, just in case?

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I've never turned data roaming on on my iPhone. I'm in the US on AT&T, as long as I stay in the country, is there any charge for data roaming? Should I just have it on by default, just in case?
The data roaming setting in your iPhone is only for international roaming.
Leave it OFF.
But just because you're in the US doesn't mean you won't roam.
AT&T does use partner networks for voice/data in areas they do not have towers setup.
So it is possible to roam on another carriers network while you're in the US.
While they won't charge you for domestic data roaming (yet), they will boot you if you roam too much.

outphase

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2009
Parts Unknown
Well I've used almost 100mb in domestic roaming since wednesday and haven't been warned. The "wireless service agreement" that I digitally signed does not have any mention of this.
I do feel that they should have told me that there is a domestic roaming limit on data.
What I would like to hear are personal experiences of going over this limit by MR members.
AT&T did. You chose not to listen/read. That's how contracts work. You agree to it if you had the ability to read it even if you chose not to.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006

Personal experience #1
Personal experience #2 (same thread)
Personal experience #3

amirite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
AT&T did. You chose not to listen/read. That's how contracts work. You agree to it if you had the ability to read it even if you chose not to.

Why are you trying to tell me what they told me? I got this phone less than 7 days ago and I know what I was told. I also still have the entire wireless agreement that I "signed".*

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Why are you trying to tell me what they told me? I got this phone less than 7 days ago and I know what I was told. I also still have the entire wireless agreement that I "signed".*

Well, then you already know don't you? :D

In any case, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. AT&T will not charge you for domestic roaming; it's part of your plan. If it becomes an issue, they'll send you a letter. Considering the large number of iPhone users out there, and the fact that I've only seen one person have issues with excess roaming, I'd say your chances are good you won't hear a peep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.