Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kate.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2009
US
I've got a dead, out-of-warranty iMac G5—motherboard died. All of important files were backed up but there are still a few things on the drive I'd like to have if I can get them. I have no reason to believe the hard drive is damaged.

From what I can understand, I can get a 3.5" SATA drive enclosure from some place like Newegg, pull the hard drive out of the iMac, and then connect the drive to my Mac mini. And, assuming the drive is sound, I'll be able to pull files off it and use it as a normal external drive.

Does all this sound right? This definitely isn't my expertise and I'd rather confirm it before I try anything.

rtrt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
yep you can do that np.

you'll probably want to get the files you need and then use disc utility to reformat the drive - probably a better option than just deleting everything.

Thats what i would do anyway - although i'm not sure that there's actually any difference from just deleting all of the files and getting an empty disc that way.

Others will no doubt chime in if ive got it wrong :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.