Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
Hey guys (and girls),

Check out our app, WhatsApp: http://www.whatsapp.com

WhatsApp is an iPhone messenger which works between iPhone users with a chat server back-end. If two people are online at the same time, you can even see when the other party is typing a reply back:

typing.png

WhatsApp integrates with your Address Book and there is no PINs or Username to remember. This is as pure of SMS replacement as you can get (hey, SMS works without PINs and Usernames also, right?).

vega07

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2006
I love the concept. Nice looking app, great icon, works well.

But the only problem is that most of my contacts don't have Blackberries or iPhones.

I can see this application growing on all platforms, however. And how are you guys offering this app for free??

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
I love the concept. Nice looking app, great icon, works well.

But the only problem is that most of my contacts don't have Blackberries or iPhones.

what smartphone platforms do most of your friends have? we know that Symbian is really popular in europe, but in USA, iPhone and BlackBerry own something like 80% of the smartphone market.

we are in the process of developing the app for other smartphones, but PalmPre and Android smartphone marketshare is so small, it hasn't been a high priority for us yet.

vega07 said:
I can see this application growing on all platforms, however. And how are you guys offering this app for free??

we are a bunch of hippies who don't believe in money. LOL, just kidding.

to be honest our biggest issue right now is not money but growing the user base (since app only works when others use it). i can say with 99% certainty that app will always stay free.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
this is AMAZING! it just WORKS like the whole apple vibe... put my number in and bam, free SMS's with all my iphone buddies.

push and badges are great! Some hiccups where i am not getting push or badges all the time, but i hope these will be ironed out? This is only the first release, right?

i'm saving money and this is the first app i put on my first page for a loooong while :)

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
this is AMAZING! it just WORKS like the whole apple vibe... put my number in and bam, free SMS's with all my iphone buddies.

push and badges are great! Some hiccups where i am not getting push or badges all the time, but i hope these will be ironed out? This is only the first release, right?

i'm saving money and this is the first app i put on my first page for a loooong while :)

if you are on Wi-Fi, push notifications might not be in real time. here is an official statement from an apple engineer:

"Are you using wifi? If so, there's some limitations:

-Wifi needs to be tethered or screen on to keep a constant connection to APNS
-Otherwise, the device will sleep and briefly wake up once every thirty minutes to check for stored messages (which can be overwritten, as we only keep the last one, per app)."

drill423

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2009
Houston
Gotta say I love this app. Sent it out to a few of my friends with iphones and they are loving it too! One suggestion I had is somewhat similar to the sms messages the iphone does, and that's making your comments and the response of others into different colors. It makes it easier to read. It's not a huge thing in the long run. Lovin' this though! Great job.

sniffies

macrumors 603
Jul 31, 2005
somewhere warm, dark, and cozy
Please, consider the following UI tweaks:

- In Favorites, clicking contact's name should take you straight to the chat instead of revealing the Call, Chat, Email and Cancel buttons. All of these are already accessible from the top of every chat window. Also, I never understood the need for Favorites menu. Kinda redundant (JMO).
- Why not move the Status button into Settings? If not, then why not make the Status button actually show the status by using miscellaneous signs à la Skype.app?
- Give us ability to customize the bottom toolbar.

All about Settings:
- Firstly, it's kinda disorderly. Having OCD, I'd drag the Help, About and Tell a Friend menus all the way to the button as they are not the first thing one would look for under settings.
- Why have settings inside settings inside settings? Bring everything out of the Chat Settings menu and consolidate it with the main settings.
- Connect with Facebook does not have to be a button. It kinda stands out too much and unnecessarily at that. It could simply become another menu with an arrow. Give it a uniform and consistent look. No ugly blue buttons amongst white arrow menus! ;)

- Big one: give your app a better name! I'm sure, you liked the What's Up and WhatsApp word association, but it sounds kinda amateurish and silly. Be the first one to use something like iPhone Messenger (à la BlackBerry Messenger :D)

Keep up the good work and best of luck! :)

nanohits

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
PBF,

I pretty much agree with everything you have said and you are right, the name kind of sounds dumb. A bit more polish and this app can even start charging considering how much money people will save in SMSing

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
Gotta say I love this app. Sent it out to a few of my friends with iphones and they are loving it too! One suggestion I had is somewhat similar to the sms messages the iphone does, and that's making your comments and the response of others into different colors. It makes it easier to read. It's not a huge thing in the long run. Lovin' this though! Great job.

they are different colors, just not drastically different. we will change the coloring though in future releases.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
Please, consider the following UI tweaks:

- In Favorites, clicking contact's name should take you straight to the chat instead of revealing the Call, Chat, Email and Cancel buttons. All of these are already accessible from the top of every chat window. Also, I never understood the need for Favorites menu. Kinda redundant (JMO).

we wanted to make favorites to give people a familiar look to Phone.app

also another reason why we can't simply make a tap on Favorites go into Chat is because you can put into favorites contacts who don't have the app.

- Why not move the Status button into Settings? If not, then why not make the Status button actually show the status by using miscellaneous signs à la Skype.app?

unlike skype, we don't really have an "online" or "offline" or "invisible" modes -- our status is just a string of text.

- Give us ability to customize the bottom toolbar.

can't easily be done. tab bar would need to have 6 items or more and the last item would be "more" (take a look at iPod app to see what i mean)

All about Settings:
- Firstly, it's kinda disorderly. Having OCD, I'd drag the Help, About and Tell a Friend menus all the way to the button as they are not the first thing one would look for under settings.
- Why have settings inside settings inside settings? Bring everything out of the Chat Settings menu and consolidate it with the main settings.
- Connect with Facebook does not have to be a button. It kinda stands out too much and unnecessarily at that. It could simply become another menu with an arrow. Give it a uniform and consistent look. No ugly blue buttons amongst white arrow menus! ;)

when we use FBConnect API, we have to go by their rules and one those rules is that we have to use that artwork.

as for settings inside of settings, you are probably right, we will be changing settings more as add more features.

- Big one: give your app a better name! I'm sure, you liked the What's Up and WhatsApp word association, but it sounds kinda amateurish and silly. Be the first one to use something like iPhone Messenger (à la BlackBerry Messenger :D)

why would we call this an iPhone messenger if we plan to add chat into our BlackBerry app and also try to develop this for other smart phone platforms?:)

Keep up the good work and best of luck! :)

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
PBF,

I pretty much agree with everything you have said and you are right, the name kind of sounds dumb. A bit more polish and this app can even start charging considering how much money people will save in SMSing

we are looking at this and next few releases as an early beta. once we get all the bugs out, will most likely start charging.

ctt1wbw

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Seaford VA
So get it while it's free, boys! I already have gotten numerous people using this app. I'd like to see Apple buy this and include it as a standard app, much the same way that Flurry is now a standard screen saver.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
we are looking at this and next few releases as an early beta. once we get all the bugs out, will most likely start charging.

I hope you mean charge for the app and not any subscriptions ;)

One bug - writing txt in chat mode you get one long line instead of the chat wrapping around the bubble like the native iphone sms. Can it wrap around? (eg, it's hard to delete words,etc)

Another issue - can you include teh feature to delete individual messages?

nanohits

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide, Australia
The other thing I have noticed is not all messages get delivered. And not all messages get notification when the app is off. With an SMS the notification is always there when you get the phone off sleep. With this app its a hit and miss. So hopefully this will be improved in future where it delivers it 100% of the time. This probably has to do with the push notification.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
The other thing I have noticed is not all messages get delivered. And not all messages get notification when the app is off. With an SMS the notification is always there when you get the phone off sleep. With this app its a hit and miss. So hopefully this will be improved in future where it delivers it 100% of the time. This probably has to do with the push notification.

we will be adding message acknowledgments to avoid dropped messages. usually dropped messages are caused by people using very weak wi-fi/gprs connections.

as for push notifications:
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/8506140/

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007

This seems like a very strange (and potentially fatal) limitation. I usually keep my WiFi on all the time. Depending on where I am, it'll jump back-and-forth from 3G to WiFi. So, basically, this app is unusable for me if I'm on WiFi then? If I have WiFi switched on and don't have my screen on, I won't get any pushes? And there any work-around for this?

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
I hope you mean charge for the app and not any subscriptions ;)

One bug - writing txt in chat mode you get one long line instead of the chat wrapping around the bubble like the native iphone sms. Can it wrap around? (eg, it's hard to delete words,etc)

Another issue - can you include teh feature to delete individual messages?

Second thoughts - i like the way you can still read the previous messages unlike the iphone sms app but i still think there should be some sort of wrapping system...

and deleteing individual messages :)

Drex1x

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2009
Wow love this app, very useful, entertaining

I simply got to say that this is by far one of the best iPhone apps I've ever used. If some of the settings that the native texting app has would be included that be a big plus, I.E wrap around text, landscape ( comming soon ? ) single message deletion, maybe group IM ( don't know exactly how that would work ) etc. Also if you could add people with out exiting the program that would be helpful too (hope I didn't miss that). In addition, if you could incoporate facebook pictures to be placed next to the persons name. I've also seen that some people have suggested to change the name of this app, this would probably be more beneficial as it would seem more professional. You guys most certainly have the right idea and should definately invest on this app because in the long run it would most likely be a very good outcome ( this app is gonna be big! I see alot of people using it ). Overall you guys are going in the right direction!

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
This seems like a very strange (and potentially fatal) limitation. I usually keep my WiFi on all the time. Depending on where I am, it'll jump back-and-forth from 3G to WiFi. So, basically, this app is unusable for me if I'm on WiFi then? If I have WiFi switched on and don't have my screen on, I won't get any pushes? And there any work-around for this?

i am just conveying what apple engineer posted on devforum. i am not yet sure what a good solution to this is. sorry.

jkb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
California
when is the update with group messaging coming out?

not any time soon. with the huge success that the app had, last week has been pretty much spent on bug fixes and server maintenance.

will get to it though...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.