Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple101

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
New Jersey
Here is what should be in the 4th Generation iPod touch, add to the list.

I want-
LED/ OR OLED Screen, more likely LED.
Aluminum Back for no scratch, and(same glass screen) finger print resistance screen.
60% brighter screen
Cheap just like now, Drop the 8 GB and make it 16GB because 8 GB is a rip-off at $199.
Still/ Video Camera, 3.2 mega pixel camera.
40+ battery.
Same fast processor/ graphics GPU.

These should be on the two high end versions of iPod touch of 32 GB and 64 GB or even 128 GB if available.

16GB $199
32GB $299
64GB $399

POSSIBLE 128 GB $429

DrawnToLife

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Already?
Didn't a new iPod Touch come out 12 days ago?
And besides, this is probably a long way away.

"Here is what should be in the 4th Generation iPod touch, add to the list."
That's a bit misleading. It should say something more along the lines off..
"Here are the features that I want on the 4th Generation iPod Touch. Feel free to throw your ideas at me."

randomusername

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
I want-
Aluminum Back for no scratch, and(same glass screen) finger print resistance screen.
60% brighter screen
Cheap just like now, Drop the 8 GB and make it 16GB because 8 GB is a rip-off at $199.
40+ battery.

-OLED is likely.
-I don't think Apple will ever leave chrome.
-Still and video camera is likely.
-What do you mean by 40+ battery?
-The processor will probably get another update. It has every three updates.

These should be on the two high end versions of iPod touch of 32 GB and 64 GB or even 128 GB if available.

16GB $199
32GB $299
64GB $399

POSSIBLE 128 GB $429

How does that make any sense? $100 more to get 32GB more, but only $30 extra to get 64GB more.

DrawnToLife

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2009
Well, he means 40+ Hours of Audio Playback (I think).
If you get into the 128GB range, then Apple will charge at least $599 for it.
And the Chrome Backing is representative of the iPod line, so I think that's going to stay.

Pau.c

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
i think that its stupid making all of this now! a few months down the line it would have circulated into a rumour and people would get their hopes up and will be dissappointed when they do release the 4g

Tieranus

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2009
All I care about is the 40+ hours of battery life to match Wireless N, improved GFX, and processor.

Other niceties:

- FM Radio (like nano is fine)
- Video Camera (like nano is fine)

Really, it all boils down to battery life. Apps are nice, but drain battery way too fast.

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
I know this hasn't been brought up much, but perhaps a camera of some sort would do well in the iPod touch? :p:rolleyes:

My top 3:

Battery life - In the past few updates, Apple has been lowering the rated battery life of their iPods. Shuffles dropped 2 hours, Touch 6 hours (for music).
Sound Quality - I think it's embarrassing that the Zune is consistently rated higher than the iPod.
Reasonable capacities/sizes - Don't need to say much here. What is it with the new "entry level" Apple products? (See macbook, 8GB touch). I thought Apple has been doing pretty well throughout the recession? Why fix it if it's not broken?

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
-Higher Resolution screen
-Internal Mic
-Better External Speaker (Current one blows)
-Scratch resistant backing
-Activate the wireless-n chip
-FM Transmitter activated
-Still/Video Camera
-Better Battery Life

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005

I want-
60% brighter screen
40+ battery.

16GB $199
32GB $299
64GB $399

POSSIBLE 128 GB $429

1. The iPod touch already uses an LED screen. iPods have used LEDs in their screens since the beginning. Having seen conflicting images of the Zune HD's OLED screen outdoors I'm not convinced of OLED's abilities in direct sunlight, especially here in Aus where the sunlight is SO strong outdoors.

2. Definitely love to see an anodised aluminium back, obviously with the plastic window still there but something less scratch prone.

3. Camera - yes. Please. I still see Apple doing this as an update in Jan/Feb.

4. I've never had an issue with battery life on my 32GB 2G. It's superb. I use it for gaming as it outpaces my iPhone 3G considerably. But of course, better is better.

laravia18

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2006
-Higher screen resolution
-Better sound
-Better battery life
-Built-in mic
-Scratch resistant back
-More color variety available on apple.com for device
-Radio like the nano
-Activating the wireless-n chip
-A slight design change to the touch by moving the home button further down thus making the screen slightly bigger.

Pricing would be like this:
16GB $199
32GB $279
64GB$399
128GB$599 or $579

csnplt

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2008
Chicago Area
The screen is already LED backlit. I find it quite bright enough already also.

+1 Camera
+1 Microphone
+1 Better speaker

I'd also love a new case redesign, preferably changing the material the back is made out of. Aluminum would be nice like on the nanos, or carbon fiber, or anything else. Just something that won't scratch so easily.

Also, I'd love to see ARM Cortex A9 dual core inside the new iPhones and iPod touches. It actually uses less power at idle than the Cortex A8, presently used, does, and not a whole lot more than the Cortex A8 at full load. It actually can beat an Intel Atom N270 processor used in many netbooks. Imagine the types of apps people could write to take advantage of that kind of speed.

holden15

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2008
Austin, TX

I want-
60% brighter screen
40+ battery.

16GB $199
32GB $299
64GB $399

POSSIBLE 128 GB $429

It already has an LED screen. (it's had one since the first generation)

I agree, the metal back easily scratches, but Apple has had that same back since the first iPod, so I doubt they will change it for a while.

I would say it's already cheap. Just $199 for such an advanced device, how much cheaper do you possibly think they could make it?
An 8GB iPod touch, with all it's revolutionary features, you call it a rip-off for $199. Wow, for that remark, I don't know why i'm wasting my time replying to you.

I hope you don't mean 40+ hour battery. That's impossible without making it like 5 inches thick. The battery life is already pretty good.

The 32/64 GB models already have the faster processor/graphics of the iPhone 3G S.

phillies9513

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
It already has an LED screen. (it's had one since the first generation)

I agree, the metal back easily scratches, but Apple has had that same back since the first iPod, so I doubt they will change it for a while.

I would say it's already cheap. Just $199 for such an advanced device, how much cheaper do you possibly think they could make it?
An 8GB iPod touch, with all it's revolutionary features, you call it a rip-off for $199. Wow, for that remark, I don't know why i'm wasting my time replying to you.

I hope you don't mean 40+ hour battery. That's impossible without making it like 5 inches thick. The battery life is already pretty good.

The 32/64 GB models already have the faster processor/graphics of the iPhone 3G S.

Boy do I hope a new one doesn't come out soon lol. I just got a 3.
Btw, the 3 has a scratch resistant back.

afroism

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2009
What it really needs

I find that there is only one thing that i would really like to be on the next gen touch.

Actually, it just has to be on a software update.
Apple should allow flash on the browser.
Its that simple.

h1a8

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
Oled (Amoled) and custom graphic EQ.

If apple gets these two things then not only will they have created a perfect device but I will support them forever.

"Please Please Apple please get a custom eq or an app that we can use to eq our music. I beg you master."

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Ooh, ooh, ooh, can I add another?

Gorilla Glass.

That stuff is amazingly tough.

Zedo Mann

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Ohio, USA
I don't own an iPod Touch or anything, but I have put serious thought and research into getting one.

You all have good suggestions, but there is one thing that would most likely win me over in getting an iPod Touch.

Add a Memory Card slot. We shouldn't have to pay $399 just to get a lot of space for our apps and music when just about every other MP3 player (not to mention cell phones, portable games, etc.) all have a slot for a memory card, usually a MicroSD.

PrinceAvalon

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Hicksville, US of A Baby!!!!!!
They use LED backlighting not the same as LED I think the OP and others mentioned.

I think they mean a full LED panel or AMOLED screen such as what the ZuneHD is supposedly using. They still use LCD, just have used LED backlights for so long which is why until players came out with full LED panels the Touchs' screen looked so amazing and videos and images were beautiful on it.

Most 128GB SSD's for computers are roughly 400 themselves, add to that the software, video processing, sound chips, the main PCB that everything connects too, the software and that no way a 128; while possible, will be just over 400, it'd be at least 600.

And 64GB is alot actually. I don't know why some think they need to carry their "entire" collection with them. Seems kinda superfluous to me. I only take what I listen too often and like with me so I would typically use around 8-10 which would give me 40 some GBs for pictures, apps and movies etc.....

IF they update it'll be either 96 or so, I don't know if they'll jump right to 128 but who knows.

And for those who want the lossless audio, seems kinda again superfluous for a portable device, sorry nothing will beat my custom sound system and that's where I fill my audiophile needs, I see no reason why it HAS to be used in portable media. 320KBPS mp3's or AAC is perfectly fine..... and most any headphone you buy will still never even come close to real studio/audiophile speakers so again it seems like unnecessary spending to me but too each his/her own as they say.

I don't know if this should go here but currently my mp3 died it was a Zune, the 120 and I was wanting an iPod Touch, but should I buy the 64 now or will they really release another soon.

To save room on this thread if you have suggestions/tips just PM me.

Zedo Mann

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Ohio, USA
Most 128GB SSD's for computers are roughly 400 themselves, add to that the software, video processing, sound chips, the main PCB that everything connects too, the software and that no way a 128; while possible, will be just over 400, it'd be at least 600.
You know, if they put a SD slot, Apple could just sell one version of the iPod Touch, with just a really small amount of internal memory and the users could add their own memory by putting in a SD card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.