Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
My iPhone is an original 2.5G one, which I have been using unlocked, with a 'non-standard' SIM card for the past 2 years.

I've always been very careful updating the firmware but the last update was so easy, using Pwnage, I got complacent.

I was using the new version of Pwnage for firmware 3.1. I followed the instructions using 'Simple Mode'. It asked if I had a contract that would normally work through iTunes and I said no.

When it said it had created the custom ipsw file and gone into DFU mode, it told me to connect iTunes and do a restore. However, when I clicked 'restore' in iTunes it started downloading the firmware from Apple, and it restored that. Now my phone is unusable as it says the SIM is not allowed.

Not sure what went wrong there - how do you force iTunes 9 to restore from a custom backup, instead of from the file downloaded from Apple?

Anyway, now I'm stuck with an unusable phone... any tips?

thesheep

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Ah, the option key. That's what I did wrong.

Since it is 'Simple Mode' in Pwnage, it would be helpful if they put this information in their instructions, to save people like me from this problem.

Thanks.

bytethese

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2007

Since it is 'Simple Mode' in Pwnage, it would be helpful if they put this information in their instructions, to save people like me from this problem.

Thanks.

Option key has been needed from Day 1 when Pwnage was released. :)

I always use Expert Mode, maybe they display that there?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007

Thanks.

It IS in the instruction the last time I checked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.