Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmann

macrumors 604
Great thread. I did a jailbreak a few months ago, and now realize that i don't use any of the jailbroken features. So, I'm just going to put it at stock. With thi sprocess, will it restore all my contacts that I've input since the jailbreak, or are those going to be lost?

If you restore from a backup yes. But it will leave some traces of the jailbreak behind like battery percentage (if you enabled it), also things like modded carrier name, etc. If you have your contacts in you Address Book on your Mac or Outlook on your computer, you can just restore it, and set it up as a new phone, and then just resync the contacts.

lonnielove

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
can you restore even if you unlock it with purplesnow? and then start over again with the jailbreak and unlock on 3.0:confused:

123walter

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Petersburg VA
Restored..lost contacts

I tried to JB my iphone several times. I upgraded to 3.1 and didnt care for it. SO I ran pwnage...it went well. DFU went OK. At least thats what the computer said. But then when you are supposed to choose an ipsw file...I only get a choice to restore to an old backup. So...Thats what I did. I thought it was OK. Phone worked, altho not JBed. All my music was there, etc. But then when I went to do a text message..I had no old conversations, so I went to contacts..thats gone too! What happened?

jmann

macrumors 604
I tried to JB my iphone several times. I upgraded to 3.1 and didnt care for it. SO I ran pwnage...it went well. DFU went OK. At least thats what the computer said. But then when you are supposed to choose an ipsw file...I only get a choice to restore to an old backup. So...Thats what I did. I thought it was OK. Phone worked, altho not JBed. All my music was there, etc. But then when I went to do a text message..I had no old conversations, so I went to contacts..thats gone too! What happened?

Did you set it up as a new phone? Do you have these things backed up on your computer?

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2009
how can i save a back up file of my iphone to disk?
im running on a shaky pc and id like to have my most recent iphone back up backed up on a seperate cd or usb drive.

cusco

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
i have the 3Gs on 3.0 FW. i did a JB using redsnow and then unlock using ultrasnow. but after that ultrasnow, i can't use my TMobile sim card.

also, i was told that my iphone wasn't hashed, i don't even know what the heck that means.

but when i tried using this restore process, it doesn't even let me backup first, and also it tries to connect to itune store; which i'm afraid it will upgrade to 3.1 FW. :(

what to do? plz help!!!

Cbodders

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2009
So this will definitely work for a jailbroken 3GS on 3.0.1? Has anyone actually tried? I quite want to get 3.1 but am frightened of getting a bricked iPhone.

123walter

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Petersburg VA
Restore JB-ed Phone

One of the most commonly asked questions by iPhone users who want to jailbreak their iPhone is: "Is possible to recover if things go horribly wrong while trying to hack their iPhone?"
The answer is yes.

Looks good but why did you feel it neccesary to do the Power--button thing? Why cant you just choose "restore" and go from there? Thats what I did. But I must admit that the sesitivity of my screen is not as good. Also all of my backups are in 3.1 firmware. If I download a pror firmware is there a way to use that. I have tried but it wont accept it. How could one restore 3.0?

Makaveli6103

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Kansas City, MO
So I am trying to restore my iPhone because I am trying to exchange it today (cracked screen). But after restoring instead of saying AT&T next to the signal strength it says my customized word that I used when it was jailbroken. Im confused....

Networkrail

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
my iPhone 3G is on the latest firmware but I want to restore it to factory settings, for some reason it won't allow me to do so it says restore and update, how can I gewt it to total restore without updating?

NWR

123walter

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2008
Petersburg VA
Jailbreakin a 3gs?

I have a 3g, my son has a 3gs. I usually experiment with mine first then I pass on the intel to my son. Heres the deal. My son doesnt have internet conn at his home.I successfully set him up for tethering using the old method(3.0) Now he wants to get 3.1 so he can send pix with messaging.(He CAN live without it) BUT I see that there is a way...patch the CommCenter of your 3.1.2 iPhone 3G, 3GS to enable Internet tethering.
But I have heard that if ya JB a 3gs..there is no turning back? is this true? Also if I screw up setting up this commcenter/fugu thing...how dangerous is it. They said..Not for newbies(Im not, but anyone can make a mistake) How risky is it? Should he just stay with 3.0?He wont really use anything else on Cydia etc...except he wants to stay updated but still tether.
Pros Cons?

big-ray-t

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2009
Hi all. I hope you may be able to help. Today I tried to upgrade to v3.2.1 on iTunes however half way through restore/update process, iTunes flagged an error and said the update could not be completed. Since this time, my iPhone 3GS has been completely dead.

I was on v3.0.1 and JB. I have tried going into DFU mode but nothing happens, the screen stays black and iTunes does not see the phone. I have even tried uninstalling all apple and iTunes from my laptop and reinstalling, but still nothing.

Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong and how to remedy it.

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Ray

kayno

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Phelps Land
So heres the problem I have.. I currently have a Jailbroken 3GS running 3.1.2 I would like to restore back to 3.1.2 but since the release of 3.1.3 it keeps trying to restore to the new firmware.. Now I have dowloaded the 3.1.2 ipsw file and tried to manually install it, but itunes verifies with the apple servers then gives me a message saying its not gonna happpen cause my device is inelegible for the restore. I even put my phone in DFU mode and tried and got the same message.. Any ideas?

biecacka

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2007
restore 2g

hi all! :cool:
here is my issue, i have a 2g and a 3g iphone. the 2g is unlocked and jailbroken, 3g not. i can sync the 3g with itunes but when i try to on the 2g it says error not recongnized usb port. it wont even pull it up in itunes so i cant restore. like i said i have no issues with the 3g. can someone please help me?
thanks

:confused:

premnathj

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
So heres the problem I have.. I currently have a Jailbroken 3GS running 3.1.2 I would like to restore back to 3.1.2 but since the release of 3.1.3 it keeps trying to restore to the new firmware.. Now I have dowloaded the 3.1.2 ipsw file and tried to manually install it, but itunes verifies with the apple servers then gives me a message saying its not gonna happpen cause my device is inelegible for the restore. I even put my phone in DFU mode and tried and got the same message.. Any ideas?

Hi,

I am also having the same issue. Please help me incase you have resolved the same.

Thanks

kayno

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
Phelps Land
Hi,

I am also having the same issue. Please help me incase you have resolved the same.

Thanks

I haven't solved it but I have found a solution. Google "sh sh" it's some code or number u need to have saved to be able to restore to older firmware going forward. I hope this helps

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx

I am in the same boat. I am running 3.1.2 Jailbroken and would like to do a restore and re-jailbreak. I DID save my shsh thingy on cydia. I am on a PC and would like to do a restore and rejailbreak my phone. The battery seems to drain really fast. I think the phone needs a restore. i dowload and delete JB stuff all the time and I think it needs a cleanup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.