Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
I just noticed this today, the second of december, that iCal is displaying DEC 1 on the dock when iCal is closed, but when i open iCal it changes to DEC 2.

I have no idea how to fix this. Any help would be appreciated.

Screenshot with iCal closed and one with it open:

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    863.1 KB · Views: 977
  • Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    327.5 KB · Views: 624

wetrix

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2006
Auckland, New Zealand
This problem started for me a couple of days ago. It reverts to the correct date if you close and reopen it. But that's not really on is it?

I'm in the southern hemisphere and I thought maybe it had something to do with iCal looking at the date in the northern hemisphere but I don't think that's the case.

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
This happens to me too, its currently the 4th but ical displays the 3rd.

The funny thing is, in leopard, there is supposed to be an improvement where ical always shows the right date on the icon (because it updates even when the app is closed). In tiger I never had a problem because whenever ical was open it would always show the correct date and I always have ical open. Now that I use leopard the ical icon date is rarely correct!

jrocks

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
Mine started doing the same thing on Dec 2...It displayed the 1st and now (the 3rd) is displays the 2nd unless the app is open

I hope we can fix this soon, i've gotten used to looking at that for the date and now i get confused!

bjett92

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Indy, IN
thanks i've gotten used to looking at the icon for the date too thats why i was confused

it looks like dragging the icon off the dock and then putting it back on works to fix it for now

volsgod

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2008
Silverdale, WA
iCal displaying wrong date on Dock after SL update

I installed SL on my Macbook last night with no (apparent) issues. This morning I noticed the iCal icon on the dock read "Aug 28". When I opened iCal to investigate the date on the dock corrected itself to today's date, "Aug 29". Then when I quit iCal, it reverted back to "Aug 28". Is anyone else experiencing this on their Macs?

Tommeh

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
I'm experiencing the same problem. While it's the 29th now the dock icon show the 27th. When I open iCal, it changes to 29th and returning to the 27th when I quit iCal again.

ej3ffrey

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2009
mine shows july 17 on the dock when it's not open, but when i open ical it shows the correct date. if i exit it, it goes back to july 17 :cool:

Tommeh

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
I just took the icon out of the dock and put it back in via the normal route (dragging from applications folder). It displays the correct date now when closed or opened. Will see if it holds. Seems to check out when changing the date.

karin037

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
I have a unibody macbook. I installed SL last night. I had the same problem this morning. I restarted and now it is fine.

Al Dunbar

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2009
I had the same problem after installing snow leopard. Removing ical from the dock and dragging it back from applications folder fixed the problem.

spease

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2007
iCal dock date was driving me crazy

I was having the same problemo. The iCal icon in the dock was a day behind. I drug it off the dock and replaced it with the iCal in Applications. Work for a couple days. The the date was off again. I replaced it again and it worked for a couple more days. Then I tried the PRAM clear (Option-Command-P-R) and that also worked - for one day.

I called Apple today and here is what we did:

First, All applications (except Finder) must be closed.

On the Finder menu bar, click on "Go," then on "Home."

Go into the Library folder

Delete the Caches folder

Go into the Library / Preferences folder

Delete the files: com.apple.iApps.plist; com.apple.iCal.helper.plist; and com.apple.iCal.plist

Restart system

Mosnowman

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2008
I was having the same problemo. The iCal icon in the dock was a day behind. I drug it off the dock and replaced it with the iCal in Applications. Work for a couple days. The the date was off again. I replaced it again and it worked for a couple more days. Then I tried the PRAM clear (Option-Command-P-R) and that also worked - for one day.

I called Apple today and here is what we did:

First, All applications (except Finder) must be closed.

On the Finder menu bar, click on "Go," then on "Home."

Go into the Library folder

Delete the Caches folder

Go into the Library / Preferences folder

Delete the files: com.apple.iApps.plist; com.apple.iCal.helper.plist; and com.apple.iCal.plist

Restart system

I have a macbook pro running 10.4 and this solution did not work for me. Any other ideas? I'm real tired of looking at Jul 17 in the dock.

susa

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Canada
to change ical date

I've tried the more complicated suggestions here, which threw me off the
simple solution that worked for me to change ical date:
-click on the date and time at the right top corner of desktop bar
-open date and time
-uncheck set date & time automatically if it's checked
-below that, scroll to the correct date and time
-check also that you are in the correct time zone (see top of box) by dragging icon on a map of the world to where you live
been a few days - so far, so good
. . . this is on a month old macbook which I'm assuming is snow leopard

erik0123

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2009
Correct icon date won't ever happen before OS 10.5

I have a macbook pro running 10.4 and this solution did not work for me. Any other ideas? I'm real tired of looking at Jul 17 in the dock.

As far as I remember, this feature was added in 10.5, so don't bother trying any of these fixes if you aren't at least on Leopard.

i0nic7

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Solution

Open up terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app) and type this:
Code:
killall Dock

After you hit enter, the dock will disappear and reappear, and the correct date should show.

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Old thread, but couldn't pass this up.
I'm in the southern hemisphere and I thought maybe it had something to do with iCal looking at the date in the northern hemisphere but I don't think that's the case.

I'm in the U.S. As far as I know, it's today in Brazil.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Old thread I know....but this happened to me today. Running 10.6.3....looked down at iCal dock icon and it still says Jul 7. Guess I'll try some of the "fixes" here and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.