Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleWorking

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2009
Sounds like you would be loosening the black connector at the end of each heatsink. Trim away the rim so the connector can free float in the opening. I would assume the rim obstructs the connector from freely moving about, and it will pinch the cables, both. Thus trim it. Now, when installing the heat sink, manually connect the black connector to the MB, and remember to do this whenever removing the heatsinks since the connectors are now dangling by the wires.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Gotscha

Tutor, you are my hero!!! You truely deserve your nick!! Thank you!!!!!!! :D:):D:):D:):D:):D:)

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto 2009-09-25 um 13.43.30.png
    Bildschirmfoto 2009-09-25 um 13.43.30.png
    43.9 KB · Views: 279

tribe3

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Vienna, VA - USA
This thread is good from start to finish! kudos to you Gugucom for taking the risk and all the guys especially Tutor for the fine advice

Bests,

Pablo

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Congrats Gugucom on your successful mission and for taking the risk. Thanks for sharing and for the effort. Enjoy your Mac.

Genghis Khan

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
2 x 3.33GHz Nehalem Xeons with an SSD RAID 0.

The fastest Mac in history?

Congrats gugucom :)
- Michael

N.B. And kudos to Tutor. Proved yourself once again to be an invaluable resource :)

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
Thank you for all those congrats. I'm still emotionally wrecked. It's been a roller coaster.

Congrats!!! Now, can you post a picture of these wires you needed to unhook to connect to the daughter board?

Sorry, I did not take pictures.

heatsink2.jpg

You can see how the female connector is threaded from below through the casted base of the heat sink. It has to be clipped out there and pulled up along those heat pipes until it is totally free dangling there. For this you have to unstick the cables in the shrink tube some cm from the channel where it resides between frame and the copper plate of the sink. Then the clips that hold it in the casting have to be cut away almost completely.

The pink strip is where you have to add some heat transfer padding. Two mm is optimal. I had only 1 mm stripes and added two layers.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I did not remove the wires from the female connector. I just pushed the female connector back toward the heat sink until it popped out then I clipped away at that rim since the wires would now be coming around the other side of the connector's compartment, that is, the side that appears closest to you in the photo. That rim which ordinarily helps to keep the female connector in place, would now otherwise pinch the wire and prevent the heat sink from coming fully down.

Actually I did pretty much the same. It may have come across different. The cables and connectors were always kept intact. I just needed a bit more available cable lenght. This was the reason for pulling the cable free for some cms (1") from the cable duct.

Wotan31

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
ES CPUs often have undocumented Errata... I would stay away even at that price. There are plenty of threads about stability and ES CPUs on more tweaker-oriented sites such as XtremeSystems.org, etc.

For an Overclocker's PC I wouldn't think twice but in a workstation stability is paramount. Just my 2 cents.
x2. I would never use engineering sample anything.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
As usual the Vista64 Cinebench ist the best. This is currently with the GT120, 6GB RAM and 1 SSD, no RAID0.

But it is over 30.000, :D

I'm using the system for Movies, Handbraking, Video, Office and general entertainment. Most of my storage and the RAID is still in the old Mac.

The ODD ports are still on legacy. Im going to set them on AHCI shortly.

Of course blimming Microsoft had to de register Vista the moment I went online after pulling it over with Winclone. Not only changed the CPU and chipset, also the SSD got twice the size on this one.

CPU-Z confirms the seller's word that this is a standard D0 stepping. So I guess there will not be a great potential for bad surprises.

Attachments

• W5590 CBt.jpg
    W5590 CBt.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 337
  • Geräte.jpg
    Geräte.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 286
  • CPU-Z.jpg
    CPU-Z.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 262

gugucom

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
I just gained 50% multi CPU power compared to my 2006 Mac Pro. That machine has 20.780 with Vista64 Business. That was an X5365 Octad with 12 GB RAM and ATI3870.

It appears that there isn't a great deal of oompf between 3,33 and 3,2 GHz. But my system isn't completely done as I said. The Geekbench will have to come a bit later. I'm having a date tomorrow and need to prepare something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.