Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whitehexagon

macrumors regular
May 12, 2007
second time in two years I've got this error now. Last time I followed this thread and it seemed to fix things, but now nothing I do seems to work. Burns Cd's no problem, but chucks out DVDs after 1 track with this error code. Only since I upgraded to SL though...

busyangel1

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
Philly, PA
DVD blanks that work !!!

Well after gleaning many answers here, I went and bought some Gigaware 4.7
DVD - at Radio Shack and Viola! they work fine... Verbatim disks (NO) Fuji (Mostly Yes) Windata from Microcenter (No,No,No) Now I know why they were on sale....

I believe it is the speed and density combo that makes the difference. The gigaware disks are not rated for any speed.... (ie. 1-16 X) I would have never thought that the standards vary so much ...

Hope this helps ...

ALSO PLEASE POST BRANDS THAT WORK FOR YOUR MAC.

Thanks. and happy burning!

apta

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
BTW... I find it really annoying that it is rather impossible to remove a faulty DVD from the Superdrive. It even blocks your whole system when you do a restart. The only solution when you have a rotten Disk in the Superdrive is to keep it from spinning with a credit card. Then the computer spits it out after a while. I think there should be some kind of "hard eject". Some key combination that ejects the disk no matter what.

To eject a stuck disc, restart and hold the mouse (or trackpad) clicker down until the disc comes out. The eject key on the keyboard should also do the same thing.
:)

Kneuts

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2009
I'm a help desk technician at a University in the arts department. We work on macs all the time and I've just got a MacBook Pro in today with a DVD writing error with code 0x8002006E. I've noticed a lot of ambiguity on the issue in question.

I'm willing to bet this is an equivalent to a "general protection fault." When something fails on the hardware or software level that prevents the disk from being burned/finalized it throws up this error.

I'm just speculating though, but some of the solutions here seem to be voodoo to me. These are the fixes I've seen and what, in my experience, they've been used to fix.
  • Buy New Media - Media Problems
  • Reset power manager and PRAM - Low Level Software errors
  • Blow dust out of machine - General Hardware issues
  • delete com.apple.finder.plist - Resets the configuration for Finder in specific
  • Clear up hard drive space - Usually a good idea, increases software performance overall.
  • Use Toast - A different program than finder would avoid a software issue in Finder.
  • Clean the superdrive's Lens with kit - A more specific hardware issue
  • Replace the burner entirely - Also Hardware.
All of which worked for one person or another. However, these are all general maintenance tasks on several different levels of the system.

Since all of them have worked before, it seems all of them are possible fixes to the issue but do not indicate which level of the system is at fault.

here's the apple forum page on the topic: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1422026

And it looks to me like a lot of user's posting the same things over and over again but none of them actually getting anywhere near the heart of the error. It's like the blind men trying to describe the elephant. Much like this thread which also has the same problem.

My guess is this error has several possible causes. For more specific diagnostics tools You might want to try taking a look at Console.app in the Utilities folder of your mac. On this machine there was a log in ~/Library/Logs called "DiscRecording.log" with a whole slew of more specific errors including things like:

Finder: Burning to DVD-R (SONY16D1) media with DAO strategy in HL-DT-ST DVDRW GSA-S10N AP09 via ATAPI.
Finder: Requested burn speed was 4x, actual burn speed is 4x.
Finder: Burn underrun protection is supported, and enabled.
Finder: Write (10), block: 0, count: 64 -> 3/0C/00 Medium Error, Write error
Finder: Burn failed, Mon Dec 7 20:48:53 2009
Finder: Burn sense: 3/0C/00 Medium Error, Write error
Finder: Burn error: 0x8002006E The burn failed because of a medium write error.

which is much more useful for diagnosing the problem.

I'm still working on this one.

designerandtech

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2009
Found Burning software that works

I have been looking for answers to this question for over a year. I did everything everyone posted and still had problems. I had the problem on three different computers but the only thing in common, 10.5.X. I had a hard time believing it was the type of CD/DVD. I tried all brands and still had issues.

The same problem come up again today on another computer (again 10.5.8). Yesterday I could burn fine and today I can't. Went back out to the forums to find a solution.

I can across a post about a free CD/DVD burning software not even related to this problem. Downloaded it and been burning DVDs just fine. :) http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/21992/burn

In fact, I was able to use the 4 DVDs that ejected this morning with the Error Code 0x8002006E.

I love Apple but really got to think there is a issue with the burn feature in 10.5.x.

Hope this helps others! Happy New Year!

mosx

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2007
I've been getting this error code since the "SuperDrive Firmware Update 3.0" update at the beginning of December. In OS X I can't burn a DVD at all, no matter the brand.

In Windows I can burn ONLY using imgburn. It will report several errors at first, then it will eventually successfully write the disc (any brand) at only 3x.

Best part? I'm out of warranty. Even better part? I live in California. Best part of all? I didn't have any problems until the system firmware update and optical drive update. So Apple's software killed my drive. Thanks to me living in California and Apple being responsible, you can bet they'll be taking care of this problem whether they do it out of warranty or I have to name Steve Jobs in a small claims lawsuit.

RichyBabyDave

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2010
London, U.K
compressed air and smaller mb saved

i tried all of the above and nothing changed, i used compressed air and still had issues, i blasted more air and reduced the number of images i was burning and it worked a treat. no more problems, i didnt change the media, i just blasted with air and 1/2 the number of images saving to disc, i had previously been over 650mb, had no isses with 320 per burn. good luck, its been driving me mental…..

chrishx

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
Error Code 0x8002006E

Go to: users > your computer name / user name > library > Preferences > com.apple.finder.plist

This worked for me too, burning from Finder at 8x speed, after innumerable error messages over the last few months and loads of disks consigned to the waste basket!

If it worked for me (MacBook Pro OSX 10.5.8) it could work for you!

RobGraz

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
Texas
Fix I got from Apple Support

I just got off the phone with Apple support. This fixed the 0x8002006E error in burning CDs. This is what fixed it. 1st: Unplug the computer and press the power button and hold it for ten seconds. 2nd: Shut down. Press power button to start and immediately hold down the Option/Command/P/R keys simultaneously and hold through the second start up sound. (the system starts and then immediately restarts). These procedures fixed the problem.

apta

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
1st: Unplug the computer and press the power button and hold it for ten seconds.
2nd: Shut down. Press power button to start and immediately hold down the Option/Command/P/R keys simultaneously and hold through the second start up sound.

These two procedures amount to resetting the power management unit and the PRAM. As Kneuts pointed out they have worked in some cases but not all. The saga continues...

cadguru68

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2010
This will sound stupid but I read the post about compressed air and didn't have a can so just blew into the drive and it worked the first time. Might be a fluke (as mentioned before this) but it is working for me right now.

I did delete the com.... file too but the burn did not work after that for me.

pst inc

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2010
Oddly, this file is not in my Prefs folder.

This actually fixed it for good! The compressed air must have been a fluke.

Terminal Command:
rm ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

... any ideas what to try if this file is not in Library/Prefs?

Tried PRAM reset, no good. Have used same MBPro for 2 years, no probs, various media but Verbatim regularly for many months now.
Weird that this should start now, and suddenly. Frustrated, yes... as need to courier a show burned to disc - today.

reelmensch

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
Possible Simple Solution for MacBook Pro Error Code 0x80020022

i read this whole thread and was about to follow some of the more ridiculous instructions, then just blew some homemade compressed air into the drive. BAM! worked like a charm. and to think i almost had to go buy air.

macbook pros are basically old nintendo games.

This gentlemen had it right. At least for me. MacBook Pros could very well be old Nintendo games, but the compressed air trick worked. For whatever reason (dirt, or otherwise) I was able to burn the same DVD that was causing an error earlier, and for the past several weeks. Let's see how long it lasts, but you should certainly giving your Mac a BJ before attempting some of the other suggestions in this thread. It'll put a smile on both your faces. :D Thanks, terb!

MacberryBeach

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2010
this works

With all due respect, some of these fixes sounded like tricks to get folks to break their machines. Lame tho it may sound, I forwarded the jpgs I need to burn to someone with a PC, who had no trouble burning a disc for me. Ta Da!

I've burned many an audio disc before, but this was the first time I needed data. I love my macbookpro dearly, but didn't have another half day to devote to slogging through all the possible remedies. Life's too short.

T-Revor

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2011
0x8002006e

I had PCs from Win 3 to XP Pro and never, ever, had a problem burning a disk until I switched to iMac. I think iMacs are a good product and is the machine of choice for me, but this burning issue is frankly embarrassing - especially when pals who prefer Windows are looking over my shoulder. I am due an upgrade and this one issue is making me think Win 7 is appealing. Doesn't Apple understand that Burning disks is one of the computer's core activities?!!!
This issue has been going on for years now and someone must tell Apple plainly that this is a fault of their making, and it is their duty to fix it. Yet again this very morning I wasted two CDs trying to burn wedding shots although two days ago I burned a DVD of similar files with no problem. I don't want to hear about different media or blowing compressed air etc., because the fact is Apple should be as able as Microsoft to provide a burner for all media.

jordanLA

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2011
0x80020022 Error

After reading numerous posts in many forums on this issue, it seems that the 0x80020022 has been around since at least 2005, and Apple has not directly responded to any reports of it.

It seems to me that Apple wholly ignores this problem, which I am now experiencing on my unibody macbook pro (less than 2years old) and only after upgrading to 10.6.7.

Regardless of media being used (which makes no difference in MOST cases, including my own), and the numerous "solutions" people post in forums which tend to (judging by the responses) NOT WORK, this is a persistent problem.

I believe the best way for Apple to resolve this problem would be a class-action law suit filed o behalf of the hundreds of consumers whose businesses have been affected and enjoyment disrupted, as this seems to be a know defect.

Thoughts?

Mantaray7

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2008
I found the following at another site. It also seems to work for most of my media, but the Sony discs still give me problems:

: error code 0x8002006e burn issue
Posted: Apr 7, 2008 4:57 PM in response to: crittle

I called apple today and the lady was VERY nice.
So here is what she had me do.

please do this at your own risk, she told me not to touch anything else in
this folder. I honestly don't know a whole lot about this type of stuff, so
I just took her advice. It looks like preference lists though.

Go to users > your computer name / user name > library > Preferences > com.apple.finder.plist

She said to delete this file. (It will make a new one in the future on it's own.)

The first dvd+r I tried burned. She advised to keep my burn speed at 8x
I had burned the first one at 16x and it worked.

Post back results. If I start having problems again, I'll post and leave results.

Mac Pro Dual Mac OS X (10.5.2)

I did this when I started having this issue
and it did not work, I have since had a hard drive crash and the hard drive had to be replaced, brand new hard drive which had the OS reinstalled with all of the up dates, and I still have the same problem. How does something go from working to an error code and not working, Burning a disc was never a problem when I bought my iMac and now out of the blue, its a problem
Any body have any new answers.

thepuma77

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2012
Well after gleaning many answers here, I went and bought some Gigaware 4.7
DVD - at Radio Shack and Viola! they work fine... Verbatim disks (NO) Fuji (Mostly Yes) Windata from Microcenter (No,No,No) Now I know why they were on sale....

I believe it is the speed and density combo that makes the difference. The gigaware disks are not rated for any speed.... (ie. 1-16 X) I would have never thought that the standards vary so much ...

Hope this helps ...

ALSO PLEASE POST BRANDS THAT WORK FOR YOUR MAC.

Thanks. and happy burning!

I also get error code 0x8002006e and 0x80020022.
I found out that it has something to do with the media!

I can burn on
Sony CD-R 700mb
Dynex DVD+R 4.7gb

I can't burn
Sony DVD+RW 4.7gb
Sony DVD+R DL 8.5gb

belz

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2012
This thread helped me so first thanks everybody for helping, here are my 2 cents.

Brands that did not work (the empty dvd was spitted out or 'medium' problems while burning): fujifilm +RW, think xtra+R, tdk+RW, Lifetec+R, Verbatim +R.

To see what type your drive support, type "drutil info" on the command line. Mine says:

Code:
$ drutil info
 Vendor   Product           Rev 
 HL-DT-ST DVDRW  GS23N      SB03
 DVD-Write: -R, -R DL, -RW, +R, +R DL, +RW, BUFE, Test

What did work eventually was Verbatim+R DL (yeah, DL, wtf).

So what I needed to do to get it working:

1. fixed system permissions with disk utility
  2. Bought a lot of different type of DVD's (costed me 100 euros)
  3. Found a compressor to blow dust out of machine, used something small to get the air in better
  4. cleaned my dvd drive with a disk cleaner
  5. removed com.apple.finder.plist
  6. made 20GB of disk space free
  7. installed Toast (still doesn't work with toast however)
  8. resetted the PRAM by holding fn+alt (option)+p+r at the same time while booting for three beeps
  9. burned my DVD at 2X speed while it can handle 8x speed

When changing to Verbatim, my empty disks didn't get popped out immediately. I had an error that was fixed by fixing system permissions with the disk utility. Then I had this error in my system log /var/log/system.log

Code:
Disk Utility[6258]: Disk Utility: Burn to DVD+R DL (MKM 003) media in HL-DT-ST DVDRW  GS23N (SB03) via ATAPI failed with error 0x8002006E and sense (3/0C/00 Medium Error, Write error).

Using toast did not help. After cleaning out with the compressor, the Verbatim DVD+R DL (only that one, eg the DVD+R single layer was spitted out) stayed in a bit longer and sometimes I started getting this error:

Code:
Disk Utility[6258]: Disk Utility: Burn to DVD+R DL (MKM 003) media in HL-DT-ST DVDRW  GS23N (SB03) via ATAPI failed with error 0x80020022 and sense (2/04/08 Not Ready, Logical unit not ready, long write in progress).

I felt so happy that something changed. I then removed the plist, cleared the pram and burned with system utility on the DL with 2.4x speed. It took 1,5hour to complete my iso of 4.7gb, but it worked. Toast still crashes all the time.

I will never be an Apple fan boy in my life.

Ranjoharbri

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
DVD Burning problems.

I must admit I'm dismayed at reading all these posts about DVD burning issues with macs.
My iMac developed the same problems this week and it's been driving me nuts.

I'm a wedding photographer and I normally used iDVD to create my slideshows.
I gave up after my 10th attempt this week.

Apple are costing me money, my time is valuable, and other work had had to be put on a back burner while I've been trying to resolve this annoying problem.

Apple's 'Geniuses' were no help whatsoever, and also suggested me trying various brands of DVD. - I just haven't got the time or inclination to be quite honest, I've always used Verbatum DVD-R without any problems in the past, and having to jump through hoops deleting library and cache files every time I want to 'try' to burn a DVD is absolutely ridiculous.

Plus I've only recently found out that my hard drive will have to be replaced as it is one of the Seagate batch that has been reported as faulty.
Guess what Apple, I paid £1700 for my shiny iMac, and it's the last time you'll ever get a single penny out of me.

Tomorrow morning I'm going out to buy a new p.c. and I'll never look back.

I really don't know why folks make such a fuss about Apple products. They really aren't that clever.

Looking at the length of time that this problem has been known about, it's quite obvious that Apple really couldn't give a damn about their customers.
Guess what Apple - I couldn't give a damn about you either. You've just lost another customer. :mad:

apta

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2008
Plus I've only recently found out that my hard drive will have to be replaced as it is one of the Seagate batch that has been reported as faulty.
Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble burning discs. May I suggest that when you take in the iMac for the HD replacement you attach a blank DVD or two and ask them to troubleshoot the burning problem. They might replace the burner and hopefully that'll fix the issue.

My feeling is that the problem is not due to any software problem or the type of DVD but that the drive becomes slightly out of alignment. This may be temperature dependent and hence leads to so much variability that others experience.

jam2morrow

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2013
Thanks. I followed these steps exactly and it worked for me. Woohoo!

For some reason it also created an Imac Duo device icon on my desktop that I can't seem to remove. (It won't let me put it in the trash - probably a good thing too!)

Intel iMac 2006 (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)

Go to users > your computer name / user name > library > Preferences > com.apple.finder.plist

She said to delete this file. (It will make a new one in the future on it's own.)

The first dvd+r I tried burned. She advised to keep my burn speed at 8x
I had burned the first one at 16x and it worked.

Post back results. If I start having problems again, I'll post and leave results.

Mac Pro Dual Mac OS X (10.5.2)

mattwa

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2019
My experience burning to verbatim dual layer dvd+r (printable), requested burn speed 1st time was 2.4x and 2nd time 6x speed (not as in logs)

Finder: Burn started, Tue May 21 14:55:10 2019
Finder: Burning to DVD+R DL (MKM 003) media with DAO strategy in HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L NSV2 with generic profile via USB.
Finder: Requested burn speed was 1x, actual burn speed is 2.4x.
Finder: Burn failed, Tue May 21 14:55:33 2019
Finder: Burn sense: 3/0C/00 Medium Error, Write error
Finder: Burn error: 0x8002006E The burn failed because of a medium write error.
[ deleted the finder plist and rebooted here ]
Finder: Burn started, Tue May 21 15:13:09 2019
Finder: Burning to DVD+R DL (MKM 003) media with DAO strategy in HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20L NSV2 with generic profile via USB.
Finder: Requested burn speed was 1x, actual burn speed is 2.4x.
Finder: Burn finished, Tue May 21 15:42:32 2019
Finder: Verify started, Tue May 21 15:42:32 2019
Finder: Verify finished, Tue May 21 15:58:48 2019

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.