Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hakkinen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2004
My question sounds a bit dumb.

My ibook is rather warm.
I put a simple thermometer on the palm rest just about my CPU, i think it is about 92F to 96F.
I am only running a web browser now.
Is this temperature normal?

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Hakkinen said:
My question sounds a bit dumb.

My ibook is rather warm.
I put a simple thermometer on the palm rest just about my CPU, i think it is about 92F to 96F.
I am only running a web browser now.
Is this temperature normal?

what type of ibook are you useingand what the heck is 92 degrees in centigrade?

mine is comftably warm

web_god61

macrumors regular
May 14, 2004
92 degrees Fahrenheit = 33.3333333 degrees Celsius

96 degrees Fahrenheit = 35.5555556 degrees Celsius

according to google. As for a normal temperature i have no idea but 35 degrees celsius sounds high,Hakkinen wat is your room temperature at.

Hakkinen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2004
web_god61 said:
92 degrees Fahrenheit = 33.3333333 degrees Celsius

96 degrees Fahrenheit = 35.5555556 degrees Celsius

according to google. As for a normal temperature i have no idea but 35 degrees celsius sounds high,Hakkinen wat is your room temperature at.

I think my room temperature is somewhere between 26 to 28 celcius.

goodtimes5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
Bay Area
sounds hot

92 degrees, thats enough to create sweaty hands. I have an ibook g4, and the left side of the trackpad does get warm, but nowhere near 92. The only simply reason for such a high temperature reading would be that you're using your ibook in bed on top of a blanket or something that covers the fan.

Hakkinen

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2004
goodtimes5 said:
92 degrees, thats enough to create sweaty hands. I have an ibook g4, and the left side of the trackpad does get warm, but nowhere near 92. The only simply reason for such a high temperature reading would be that you're using your ibook in bed on top of a blanket or something that covers the fan.

I am using it on my table. I do not know why certain times it is warm, certain times it is not. And I am only surfing the net. Like now, it is not warm at all.

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
goodtimes5 said:

Not necessarily. My old iBook G4 got quite noticeably warm on the left palmrest -- just above the hard disc. Hakkinen, how much RAM does your iBook have? I found that once I upgraded to 640Mb (ergo, cutting out pageouts) the machine only gets warm when doing real work.

As a side, ThermographX rocks.

sethwerkheiser

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
This happens to my wife all the time. She likes playing the Sims while in bed, as the computer is resting on blankets. She knows to lift the computer from time to time, but still, it gets toasty.

Hopefully Brap is right:

I found that once I upgraded to 640Mb (ergo, cutting out pageouts) the machine only gets warm when doing real work

I ordered a 512MB chip from Crucial yesterday, and its already on the FedEx truck today :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.