Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
In my experience VOIP at home often has these same problems unless you use QOS to allocate a portion of your upstream bandwidth to the VOIP device. Of course the Airport Extreme doesn't have this capability (nor do most consumer devices) but it's the one reason I run Tomato firmware at home. I've successfully set this up for numerous friends and family members who were previously having issues with VOIP at home.

I'd be interested in what the 'priority' mode does. Other than 802.1p priority tagging, (which I'm not sure home routers recognize and even so, what would stop any device or application from setting the highest priority flag?) I'm not sure how they could guarantee priority without taking over some routing functions.

Priority mode is putting the Microcell in front of the router. Meaning the connection is Modem > Microcell > Router.

They're telling me that the Airport Extreme does not support bridging or something like that, they're not being specific, but if I'm not connected to the router, meaning the connection is Modem > Microcell > Computer, I am not able to log into a PPPOE server and get an internet connection on either the Microcell or the computer.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Priority mode is putting the Microcell in front of the router. Meaning the connection is Modem > Microcell > Router.

Right, which means that they are doing routing by examining all incoming and outgoing packets and giving priority to those for the Microcell device. I'm not sure why you can't log in to your PPOE server, but it might be because your Airport router is no longer getting its IP address from your ISP via the modem, but is being assigned one by the Microcell. (I assume this is how it must be working). If that is the case (log in to your router and find the WAN ip it has been assigned, then tell us the first 3 digits of that address) then you might have better luck contacting your ISP to find out if there is a work-around or if they might be willing to give you a second IP address. Then you plug in a switch to your modem, and both the Microcell and Airport to the switch. This would create two separate parallel networks rather than the serial method that is not working for you now.

Benster

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
Huntersville, NC
I did swap my device out yesterday for a new one, and I still got a garbled call, twice. I disconnected it and took out the ethernet cable from the "computer" port so that the Microcell isn't passing on its internet connection, and that seemed to help. The only problem is that when doing something like running a speedtest while a phone call is in progress, the phone call ends up so that you can't hear it at all.

So far this is making me way more stressed than it should. Hopefully I can call AT&T today and they can tell me how to get it working in priority mode, otherwise I will be very unsatisfied with this product.

I have my Mircocell plugged directly into the Ethernet port of one of my U-Verse HD set top boxes. I have not had any issues so far with choppy calls, but it may have more to do with my 1.5mps upload speed than anything else. I will have to try watching an HD movie off the DVR while making a call and see how that performs.

-Benster

Benster

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
Huntersville, NC
Microcell Admin Port/Interface?

I have been trying to find a hack site or any kind of information to see if the Microcell has an admin port or some form of accessible interface.

Any thoughts?

-Benster

sdlevi27

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Just picked mine up from the Apex, NC store. I'll set it up tonight and try to answer anyone's questions.

I saw the map of the NC pilot regions. Basically it's the immediate surrounding counties of Charlotte and Raleigh. The reps seemed very knowledgeable about the device, features and how to set it up.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
Right, which means that they are doing routing by examining all incoming and outgoing packets and giving priority to those for the Microcell device. I'm not sure why you can't log in to your PPOE server, but it might be because your Airport router is no longer getting its IP address from your ISP via the modem, but is being assigned one by the Microcell. (I assume this is how it must be working). If that is the case (log in to your router and find the WAN ip it has been assigned, then tell us the first 3 digits of that address) then you might have better luck contacting your ISP to find out if there is a work-around or if they might be willing to give you a second IP address. Then you plug in a switch to your modem, and both the Microcell and Airport to the switch. This would create two separate parallel networks rather than the serial method that is not working for you now.

Thank you very much for your input, I really appreciate it.

I didn't understand all of what you were saying due to my lack of networking knowledge, but basically my plan from here was to buy a $20 wired router from Best Buy, and configure my network so it would be Modem > Wired Router > Microcell > Airport > Rest of network. Do you think that buying the router and plugging the Microcell and the Airport right into the router would work? My priority is to give as much bandwidth as needed to the Microcell.

Thanks again.

solideliquid

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2008
Has anyone heard when the Microcell will be available nation-wide? If I purchased one from AT&T in NC and used it in CA would it work? I'm really tired of seeing "NO SERVICE" in my house.

sdlevi27

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Has anyone heard when the Microcell will be available nation-wide? If I purchased one from AT&T in NC and used it in CA would it work? I'm really tired of seeing "NO SERVICE" in my house.

They will only sell you one if your residence is in the trial market (Charlotte or Raleigh). I didn't ask, but I believe the device will only work in the trial markets right now.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Thank you very much for your input, I really appreciate it.

I didn't understand all of what you were saying due to my lack of networking knowledge, but basically my plan from here was to buy a $20 wired router from Best Buy, and configure my network so it would be Modem > Wired Router > Microcell > Airport > Rest of network. Do you think that buying the router and plugging the Microcell and the Airport right into the router would work? My priority is to give as much bandwidth as needed to the Microcell.

Thanks again.

That setup would be starting to get fairly complex, and stacking devices doing NAT is often asking for trouble. Also, I'm not sure it would solve your problem. With that setup I think you'd lose much of the benefit of the prioritization being done by the microcell, as ultimately all traffic has to still pass through your new wired router before getting to your phone, in other words, not much different than you have now...

At this point I'd try contacting your ISP to see if they can help you get the Airport connected through the Microcell. If they say it can't be done, inquire about a second IP address and consider using a switch as I outline above.

sdlevi27

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
I have been trying to find a hack site or any kind of information to see if the Microcell has an admin port or some form of accessible interface.

Any thoughts?

-Benster

It appears to be running a telnet daemon, but I couldn't find any site with the credentials to login. The only administration appears to be via the AT&T website.

sdlevi27

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Unfortunately, my activation has yet to be completed. Originally I set up the device 2-3 feet from the window for our covered porch. I let it sit for 90 minutes (per the manual) and the GPS and 3G lights were still flashing green. I moved it closer to the window and opened the shade, unplugged it and plugged it back in. Within 15-20 minutes I was able to get a GPS lock (like others have said, it takes a while to get an initial lock). Unfortunately the 3G light continued to flash.

I called tech support (which I dreaded, figuring they knew nothing about this). You call a special number with a PIN which routes to you a microcell technician. Within a few minutes he determined the problem. My address is not on any map because we're on a relatively new street. Because of this, the Microcell is reporting as running outside the allowed service area. The agent opened a ticket and he said he hopes to have it addressed within 24 hours.

Luigi239

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2007
Update...

I spoke with an AT&T network engineer today about all the problems with my Microcell.

He first confirmed my suspiscion that the Microcell cannot log into a PPPOE server, and needs something in front of it to do so for it. Secondly, he said that AT&T would be pushing a software update to all Microcells tonight to address voice quality issues that a number of users have reported with the device. Hopefully this will fix my (as well as others) issues with the device.

sdlevi27

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Just got a text message saying my activation is now complete and about 10 seconds later my iPhone displayed "AT&T M-Cell". So far it works perfectly! Where I once had 1-2 bars of Edge and sometimes 0 in my house I'm now covered in 5 bars. I'll report back any issues as they come across.

paj

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
USA
After about 3 months or more of using the device, sadly I unplugged it. I don't know if its a hardware issue, placement issue (too close to the router) or what but any calls made were unintelligible to the other person. It got to the point that it was no longer worth my time trying to figure out why it was not working properly. Maybe when I get a gigaspeed switch or different router (airport extreme) I'll try plugging it back in. I get 1-2 bars which is good enough for calls so oh well. I hope you all dont have the issues I started to have starting about 2 weeks ago.(the mass launch date in charlotte)
I'm seeing the same thing. I got my microcell on launch day and everything was great for the first few days. Then, I started getting the garbled calls. The other person seemed to hear me OK, but I could barely understand them. I have mine set up in priority mode. I hope it gets better, because right now it's next to useless.

B's iPhone

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2008
Where it's cold
Why? It won't work outside of Raleigh or Charlotte right now.

That part I think can be worked around. I'm no genius but between my brother and I, I'm sure we can fugure out a way to nake that GPS think
it's anywhere it wants to be.
I'm willing to offer a more than reasonable price if anyone is interestred.

sdlevi27

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Unfortunately this morning I started to get the same garbled calls that others have reported (I can hear the other person fine, but they say I'm breaking up). I called my voice mail and left a message and confirmed what they were saying was true. Someone posted on AT&T's forums that even putting the Microcell in priority mode didn't help on their 10mb/512kb connection. So it sounds like this hopefully a software issue on the Microcell that can be corrected.

hsk

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2009
Austin, TX
Unfortunately this morning I started to get the same garbled calls that others have reported (I can hear the other person fine, but they say I'm breaking up). I called my voice mail and left a message and confirmed what they were saying was true. Someone posted on AT&T's forums that even putting the Microcell in priority mode didn't help on their 10mb/512kb connection. So it sounds like this hopefully a software issue on the Microcell that can be corrected.

It has to be a software issue with the Microcell. Sprint and VZW have similar devices and I never read of the same type problems on the forums with them. Thus, a controlled rollout was the right way to go. Hopefully all of this gets worked out before it gets to my area.

sdlevi27

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
So I've been using the Microcell extensively through today. I believe I read somewhere that they were pushing a software update today to fix some call clarity issues. Overall, it's performed better than earlier. No one has complained that I sound garbled and I only had 1 dropped call. I checked my account online and all calls are being billed correctly to the Unlimited Microcell bucket.

It's certainly much better than having 1 bar and constant dropped calls. Overall, I'm very satistfied.

sdlevi27

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Sorry to ask again, but could someone comment on the real-world effective range of the Micro-Cell? I'm hoping to use it at work, and I move around a lot in the building. Does it have coverage at least as good as a WiFi router? I'd be glad to hear anyone's experiences.

I've found the coverage to be slightly better than my Wifi coverage from my Airport Extreme. I'd guess around 40-60 feet in either direction through sheetrock walls without a problem.

hsk

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2009
Austin, TX
I've found the coverage to be slightly better than my Wifi coverage from my Airport Extreme. I'd guess around 40-60 feet in either direction through sheetrock walls without a problem.

You have an Airport router. It seems that those who have posted here that have had problems are connected to an Airport router (trend? I know at least 2 others above are, but I did not re-read the whole thread). Is anyone else in this thread having garbled connections using a different router?

gadgetinspector

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
Usage is geographically limited

I purchased one and moved it several states away. We have ATT 3G coverage here, but there are apparently two issues:
1. You have to enter your address into the ATT website.
2. Your device location needs to match your entered address

So, until ATT expands their trials or goes production - you cannot use the device elsewhere. The website rejects addresses outside the trial areas, and the device won't sync if you try to put in an address elsewhere. Sigh.

For those interested, here's a map of their trials:
https://www.wireless.att.com/opss//staticContent/English/FOAM/html/Trial_Markets_Coverage_Map.pdf

Also, the fact that the real location of the microcell and the registered location of the microcell have to match is a good thing. Otherwise, if a cellphone called 911 with an emergency - they would send help to the wrong location!

While some might ask, "Why not just send help to the GPS lat/lon of the microcell?" I suspect there are two issues with that. First, what gets sent to the 911 dispatch centers probably isn't lat/lon - and is probably street address. Second, even if you did a reverse lookup of a lat/lon to a street address, it wouldn't be reliable enough for houses that are close together, apartments, etc. Thus, help would go to the wrong house and not be able to find you when you need it quickly.

sdlevi27

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
You have an Airport router. It seems that those who have posted here that have had problems are connected to an Airport router (trend? I know at least 2 others above are, but I did not re-read the whole thread). Is anyone else in this thread having garbled connections using a different router?

I think the issue (as mentioned above in earlier posts) is any router with a lack of QoS. I'm actually shocked that the Airport Extreme, a $180 router that some consider to be one of the best SOHO available, doesn't have a built in QoS feature. If it continues to be a problem I'll try putting the Microcell in priority mode, but yesterday I used it extensively while using the Internet and it wasn't a problem (I did notice Carbonite was idle, I'll see what the effect is on the call quality while a backup is running).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.