Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Dropbox for iPhone Hits the App Store

201138-dropbox_1.jpg

201138-dropbox_2.jpg

Popular document syncing and sharing service Dropbox has released its much-anticipated iPhone application [App Store, Free]. The application, which requires iPhone OS 3.1, offers several basic features to allow users to access their Dropbox accounts on the go.
App features:

* Access your Dropbox on the go
* View your files
* Download files for offline viewing
* Take photos and videos and sync them to your Dropbox
* Share links to files in your Dropbox
* Photo galleries
* Sync downloaded files so they're up-to-date
Dropbox offers three levels of service with varying amounts of storage space: Basic (2 GB, Free), Pro 50 (50 GB, $9.99/month), and Pro 100 (100 GB, $19.99/month).

Article Link: Dropbox for iPhone Hits the App Store

Doju

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2008
Oh my god, finally. This has been what, a month or more in the waiting?

Downloading now. Yay Dropbox. <333

Wait, it requires 3.1? Noooo. :(

@Dev-Team: Hurry up and release a jailbreak for 3.1 3G S. GAH!

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Agreed. As a dev I would really like to know why does it require 3.1.

And with all the problems surrounding 3.1, I won't be upgrading anytime soon.
What problems?

Anyhow, it is a very well designed app. When I am viewing a file in landscape mode, it automatically hides the toolbars, nice touch.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
This app is awesome. I downloaded Dropbox for Mac a when it first came out but I stopped using it. I think I'll start using it again after this app. I like how you can take a photo or video and have it automatically upload to Dropbox servers.

Question: Should I use this or Airsharing?

yoppie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
I just installed it on my iPhone and I think it's quickly become my favorite app on my phone. It's pretty good. :)

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
Not to sound ignorant, but how does this service differ from Apple's MobileMe? Does it do the same thing(s), more or less? I'm a little confused but curious.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
super disappointed it requires 3.1.... oh well. love dropbox tjough... its saved my ass a school many times.

Flhusky

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Florida
The dev team @ Dropbox has been working on this for awhile. I still wish they'd set up a donation button, esp. now that the iPhone app is out.

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
I just installed it on my iPhone and I think it's quickly become my favorite app on my phone. It's pretty good. :)

agree, dropbox is spectacular...free off-site backup/sync that is incredibly speedy...and i have tried numerous other products...dropbox excels...

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Not to sound ignorant, but how does this service differ from Apple's MobileMe? Does it do the same thing(s), more or less? I'm a little confused but curious.

It works WAY faster.

I pay for MobileMe (for other reasons) and even I use Dropbox instead of my iDisk!

I'm very excited about this app.

cazlar

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Sydney, Australia
I've heard of dropbox before but never tried it. I just installed the desktop app (onto a windows machine) - that seems very integrated and polished. Unfortunately, for my iPhone, I'm still on 3.0 (mostly because I'm JB and need to find a chunk of time to upgrade to 3.1 just in case something goes wrong), so can't try the iPhone app yet until I upgrade.

I used the referral above (thanks Doju) and got the extra 256MB space. Once you do a few extra things (install it, upload something, set up a share, etc) they also give you an extra 256MB on top of that for being a "Guru", so I'm up to 2.5GB now.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
This has been a long time coming. I've been using Dropbox since the private beta and it's only gotten better since then. This is one of the best apps out there.

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
Oh my god, finally. This has been what, a month or more in the waiting?

Downloading now. Yay Dropbox. <333

Thanks for that! I never even knew that something like dropbox existed until this news post. I appreciate the extra space. This will definitely help streamline my home/work/school experience.

nikesp23

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2009
No downside

You get minimum 2gb for free. I've been using dropbox for over a month now. The speed is good, the interface is super simple, and it works as advertised. And, the price is right. Click here to get 250mb extra space right off the bat.

M.a.r.k.

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
yeah it looks nice and works, but still some features are missing
- upload pictures to any directory you like
- also pictures are not uploaded in full resolution :/
- search does not work in subfolder

but i really like how you can share files through email that are not in the public folder

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.