Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fulfilling a promise made at the application's launch in June, DataViz has updated its iPhone productivity suite Documents To Go to offer editing and creation of Excel spreadsheet documents. The update brings compatibility with standard (.xls) and Excel 2007/2008 (.xlsx) document types, as well as improved typing speed throughout the suite.
MICROSOFT EXCEL EDITING
- View, edit & create Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx) spreadsheets
- Unique InTact Technology retains original document formatting of edited files
- Supports 111 functions
- Supports password protected Excel 97-2004 spreadsheets
- Cut/Copy/Paste
- Cell formatting: fonts, Bold, Italic, Underline, alignment, cell shading, text color
- Number formatting: general, number, scientific, currency, percent, text, date & time
- View & edit in both Portrait and Landscape
- Full screen view
- Insert/delete rows & columns
- Resize/hide/unhide rows & columns
- Rename/insert/delete sheets
- Supports multiple worksheets
- Multiple Undo/Redo
- Find/Find Next
Documents To Go, one of the two major productivity suites for the iPhone alongside Quickoffice, is available in both a basic version [App Store, $9.99] and an enhanced version offering support for Microsoft Exchange [App Store, $14.99].

Article Link: 'Documents To Go' Adds Excel Spreadsheet Creation and Editing

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I should have sent this tip in when I got this a day or two ago, but I just figured that MR wouldn't think this was news. Either that or they waited to post it for a slow news day.

I'm pretty happy with the update. Now their main concern should be allowing incoming email attachments, whether through an integrated email client or something else, and the ability to open up my iDisk to download and save files. I believe the latter would be much more convienient than using their sync software. Especially for a student on the go such as myself.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I am testing out the new features as right now.

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
The only reason why I like quickoffice more is because of the mobileme sync. I don't want any other app installed on my MBP to sync files.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I had been waiting to see how NeoOffice Mobile would turn out. But it has limitations and a confusing pricing structure. Plus it's not really an app. I may have to give Documents To Go another look....

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Although most people probably don't need Excel in their pocket 24/7, for those that do need it, I'm sure this application is invaluable. Not for everyone, but totally useful for those that do need it. :cool:

(I'm assuming the 3GS is imperative to render an excel spreadsheet)

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
QuickOffice is much better. The web interface to manage files is easy to use and easy to access.

Creating Excel spreadsheets? I thought QuickOffice already had that?

Xibalba

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
Indiana, USA
Although most people probably don't need Excel in their pocket 24/7, for those that do need it, I'm sure this application is invaluable. Not for everyone, but totally useful for those that do need it. :cool:

(I'm assuming the 3GS is imperative to render an excel spreadsheet)

Agree - these features are quite late for this product, and i do not find myself the need to edit spreadsheets on the fly since i primarily use Bento but these features are important to several business employees.

mackiwilad

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Ask the Goverment!
QuickOffice Supports up to 2007, and overall a better package in my opinion

Hmm perhaps you didn't see this part:
The update brings compatibility with standard (.xls) and Excel 2007/2008 (.xlsx) document types.

Personally I prefer DTG as I don't like the idea of emailing all my attachments to Quickoffice before i can use them. Not too good from a data security point of view? 'sup to you I guess.

mackiwilad

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2007
Ask the Goverment!
The way I read it is that it can view to 2008 not edit. QuickOffice can edit up to 2007 but view just as far. I might be wrong, but either way you go is fine if it works for you

In the first line it says:
- View, edit & create Microsoft Excel (.xls, .xlsx) spreadsheets.
(I should have quoted that line, doh!)

Anyways I haven't actually tried Excel myself on the phone yet, so I couldn't say with 100% certainty that it works. That being said the developer has been pretty responsive to my emails in the past so I would imagine it will be cool.

Ghibli

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2005
Trieste - Italy
Column and row freezing?

Anyone knows if it is possible top "freeze" some rows (or columns) in order to allow better column comparisons?

Thanks in advance for any reply.

tarkr

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
That would be truly awesome

To integrate Dropbox and Documents to Go, couldn't one simply use the Documents to Go Desktop Client and add the Dropbox folder to the list of folders to be synchronized with DTG on the iPhone? Or maybe rather a subfolder of the Dropbox folder containing the relevant files, to avoid overwhelming the poor iPhone completely!

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
To integrate Dropbox and Documents to Go, couldn't one simply use the Documents to Go Desktop Client and add the Dropbox folder to the list of folders to be synchronized with DTG on the iPhone? Or maybe rather a subfolder of the Dropbox folder containing the relevant files, to avoid overwhelming the poor iPhone completely!

That's exactly what I do and it works very well.

diesel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2007
anyone know who/how to contact docs to go with support questions/issues? there site says support is not provided for docs to go iphone version????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.