Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bgggvvbbnng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Powebook G4 won't boot up. Safe mode doesn't work. Reset pram. Went onto single user mode. At first there was a modification and then I ran it a second time until it said HD was ok. Now what? Still not booting up operating system.

nebarik

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
ive seen some rare issues where the hdd prevents the computer from booting. though disconnecting it to test that threoy isnt the easiest thing for a user to do.

what happens if u try and boot from dvd?

Bgggvvbbnng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
ive seen some rare issues where the hdd prevents the computer from booting. though disconnecting it to test that threoy isnt the easiest thing for a user to do.

what happens if u try and boot from dvd?

at college so don't have my DVDs. Any chance my hard drive is wiped out?

Btw just ran fsck again, it showed both "the volume Microsoft HD appears to be ok" and "file system was modified"

Bgggvvbbnng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
When I reboot from single user it has to terminate an "iousbc composite device." Is that normal?

nebarik

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
sounds like a corrupt OS.

which can either be the OS itself, and just needs a reinstall. or the hdd is dieing, taking the OS with it.

if you somehow have access to another known good operating system (someone else's mac, externall hdd with it installed, etc). connect it up by firewire, boot holding down 'option' and see if it boots up. if it does, check the hdd with somesort of diagnostic tool like tech tool

Bgggvvbbnng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
sounds like a corrupt OS.

which can either be the OS itself, and just needs a reinstall. or the hdd is dieing, taking the OS with it.

if you somehow have access to another known good operating system (someone else's mac, externall hdd with it installed, etc). connect it up by firewire, boot holding down 'option' and see if it boots up. if it does, check the hdd with somesort of diagnostic tool like tech tool

If hdd is corrupt, then using my laptop in hard drive mode to try to salvage data is probably futile right?

nebarik

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2007
If hdd is corrupt, then using my laptop in hard drive mode to try to salvage data is probably futile right?

not necessarily. your computer is still trying to boot from something, evident by the apple logo.so if your hdd is failing, there still some files on it that are reading correctly. if you dont have your files backed up already, any attempt to save as much as you can will be worthwhile

of course, best case senerio is maybe the os has directory errors or some such and just need a archive reinstall

Bgggvvbbnng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
not necessarily. your computer is still trying to boot from something, evident by the apple logo.so if your hdd is failing, there still some files on it that are reading correctly. if you dont have your files backed up already, any attempt to save as much as you can will be worthwhile

of course, best case senerio is maybe the os has directory errors or some such and just need a archive reinstall

Apple store / genius bar will likely or unlikely provide me with the necessary DVDs to do an archive install?

Bgggvvbbnng

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Update

now it loads past the grey screen to a blue screen and stops there. Mouse arrow is showing. Every 30sec or so, it alternates b/w this screen and a darker blue screen for 1-2sec. Thoughts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.