Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

visuals

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Hello All,

I am completely new to this forum. I think your the only ones who can help me. I got the new macmini 1.8 core 2 duo and got a 250mb seagate hard drive for the thing.

Opening and installation went smoothly but now when I turn it on and put it on and put in the install disk.

When it get to the part where you have to "choose" select the drive to install it into. There is NO DRIVE THERE to select.

My questions are
1) Did I install the drive wrong?
2) Should I have formattted the drive? if so how?
3) Should I go about installing the software a different way? is there a way to format the drive?

H&Kie

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
Formatting might be needed. First, boot from your Install-DVD/CD (Press the "C" button directly after the startup-chimes with your Install disk inserted), select disk utility from the utilities menu and format the disk to Mac OS extended (Journalled). After that, you'd be able to install Mac OS itself.

When the installer still doesn't recognise your new drive after formatting, shut down your Mini entirely. Boot from your install disk as stated above and the drive will be found almost certainly.

visuals

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Formatting might be needed. First, boot from your Install-DVD/CD (Press the "C" button directly after the startup-chimes with your Install disk inserted), select disk utility from the utilities menu and format the disk to Mac OS extended (Journalled). After that, you'd be able to install Mac OS itself.

When the installer still doesn't recognise your new drive after formatting, shut down your Mini entirely. Boot from your install disk as stated above and the drive will be found almost certainly.

Excellent. Thanks it worked!

ibeaver

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
mac mini new HD install

Hello,

I've installed a new 500gb hard drive to my new mac mini. I have a snow leopard install dvd, and a PC bluetooth keyboard.

I did not format the HD first, and I did not make a clone to boot from USB....

so the big question is, how can I format my new HD when using the PC bluetooth keyboard?

I tried the hold C after the chimes to get to Utilities menu, but nothing like that happened for me... it always will finally open the Snow Leopard installation.

What can I do ( without taking out the HD again and making a clone with a USB external)

greatly appreciated!

cheers,
kevin

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
I believe that function ONLY works with a WIRED USB keyboard, not BlueTooth. Have you a wired USB keyboard to try?
Wired only. The wireless doesnt pickup until after the OS is installed

Not true. I've installed OS X plenty of time using a Bluetooth keyboard. I can also hold down 'C' at startup to boot from CD, 'option' to let me choose my boot drive, etc. This all works before the OS is loaded.

ibeaver

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
Its an older Dell wireless keyboard... but still works (as a keyboard).

I'll use a wired USB keyboard and I have a feeling it will then work fine.

But, holding C at startup will allow me to access utilities so I can format my the new hdd? I'm completely new to a Mac, so this even can be user error....

thanks for the advice so far,
kevin

ibeaver

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2009
1080i output from mac mini outside my LCD viewing area

well, the problem was not the USB bluetooth keyboard.... after wondering what the hell for a few hours today, tried again, and this time used the mouse to click in the top left of the screen.... low and behold there are menu's that I could not see! doh...

seems the 1080i output of the mac mini fits to a bigger area than my Sony LCD tv.... the disk utility was there since the first time I booted it.... ohman.

so anyway, just fyi... if anyone comes across such an issue, always phantom click the top left for menu's, if you're missing something.

cheers.

simconinc

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2010
ive tried that and it still wont

i just tried all that and no utilities at top left showed up. any other ideas ? thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.