Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:21 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

AT&T to Allow Skype and Google Voice to Operate on Its Mobile Network?

The Washington Post reports that AT&T may be planning to announce support for Skype, Google Voice, and other related Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services over its mobile networks, including via Apple's iPhone.
Quote:
One source close to the thinking of AT&T executives said the company has been deliberating the decision for weeks and that top executives have said they were close to accepting voice over Internet services on all AT&T phones, including the iPhone. The source spoke on the condition of anonymity because a decision hadn't been officially announced. Skype currently operates on the iPhone through WiFi access, but not on AT&T's 3G mobile network.
Apple reportedly rejected a Google Voice iPhone application in late July, sparking an inquiry into the situation from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). In its response to the FCC, Apple claimed that it had not formally rejected the application and was still reviewing it, but Google's response painted a very different picture, claiming that Apple senior vice president Phil Schiller had directly delivered the rejection notice to a Google executive via telephone.

For its part, AT&T noted that it played no role in the specific Google Voice iPhone application review process, although the company's agreement with Apple does reportedly require that it provide permission for any iPhone functionality to originate or terminate a VoIP connection on its network.

Article Link: AT&T to Allow Skype and Google Voice to Operate on Its Mobile Network?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:23 PM   #2
iansilv
macrumors 6502a

Man I love competition. Thank you Verizon.
iansilv is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:26 PM   #3
joemama
macrumors 6502

Finally! Now we can lower the monthly minute plan.....
joemama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:26 PM   #4
blizaine
macrumors 6502

wow, this coupled with push notifications, may allow you to receive calls as well, when the app isn't open.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:30 PM   #5
iMJustAGuy
Banned

NICE! Arn't unlimited minutes on skype only like $2.99 a month. (non - comp to comp)
iMJustAGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:36 PM   #6
Warbrain
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdaleherring View Post
NICE! Arn't unlimited minutes on skype only like $2.99 a month. (non - comp to comp)
30 bucks for a year but if you want people to call a Skype number you pay more.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:37 PM   #7
macfan881
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to macfan881
Finally FCC does something that isnt Stupid great job!
macfan881 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:37 PM   #8
daniel4
macrumors newbie

Great News!

This is great news!

I'm glad to see some competetion!

The only bad thing is that VoIP over 3G drains the battery very very quickly (2 hours) and the phone gets very hot especially if it's in a case. Be careful! :-D
daniel4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:37 PM   #9
charlituna
macrumors G3

this isn't a total shock, the recent 'net neutrality' stuff probably has ATT legal telling the bigs that they are likely going to be forced to do this same thing in the very near future anyway. by doing it now they look like the good guys cause they did it 'voluntarily' and didn't have to be forced.

oh and that whole "provide permission for any iPhone functionality to originate or terminate a VoIP connection on its network" stuff sure sounds like ATT has a say in apps since they can refuse permission. and if there was any change that Google Voice or Skype could lose them money you know they would have done just that.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:38 PM   #10
infiniteentropy
macrumors member

This would all be nice... but how about the tethering in the USA? COME ON AT&T!!! AHHH!!! Okay, had to get that out of my system. I'd love to ditch my Verizon modem and just have a single device for everything. If my iPhone could tether, my enjoyment of the device would be complete, as I regularly (nearly always) get better data rates on my iPhone than on my Verizon card, even though Verizon is supposed to be better.

If AT&T announces tethering at CTIA tomorrow, I'll be doing a happy dance.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:40 PM   #11
dagamer34
macrumors 65816

When AT&T allows VoIP on other phones and not the iPhone, it definitely looks fishy.
dagamer34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:41 PM   #12
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleve View Post
I think that this is in response to the Verizon-Google News today.

And what exactly does Google Voice on the iPhone mean? Will it be able to be operated over AT&T's network or will it jut be like Skype/Vonage?
GV is not VOIP service. It is nothing like Skype or Vonage.
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:44 PM   #13
solace
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
THANK YOU.

how many people need to state this before people start to understand it?

do that few people actually have Google Voice accounts in that a wide swath of people still believe it's some sort of VOIP system?

Last edited by solace; Oct 6, 2009 at 01:49 PM.
solace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:45 PM   #14
wrlsmarc
macrumors newbie

It is not VOIP but they provide VOIP in a traditional sense however they carry calls at the same price points as VOIP so they fit in the same category.

Quote:
wrlsmarc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:45 PM   #15
sishaw
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Right, it's more something to help you manage your phones. I basically use it to screen out solicitation calls, and people that have several phones can forward them all to one number. You can also set up groups that have different screening rules and greetings for different callers.
sishaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:48 PM   #16
aegisdesign
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizaine View Post
wow, this coupled with push notifications, may allow you to receive calls as well, when the app isn't open.
Except the VoIP carrier would have to implement push notification AND a custom app on the iPhone AND you're still at the mercy of your VoIP call being interrupted by one of Apple's apps taking priority.

It's a step in the right direction but Apple need to stop pissing about and allow 3rd party background tasks OR implement their own SIP stack that other VoIP providers can access like Nokia do.
aegisdesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:49 PM   #17
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sishaw View Post
Right, it's more something to help you manage your phones. I basically use it to screen out solicitation calls, and people that have several phones can forward them all to one number. You can also set up groups that have different screening rules and greetings for different callers.

I use it as my super secret number. that I only give to friends...Well at lease that is what I tell them when I give them my GV number.
spazzcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:50 PM   #18
dr_lha
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlsmarc View Post
It is not VOIP but they provide VOIP in a traditional sense however they carry calls at the same price points as VOIP so they fit in the same category.
Its not in the same category at all because you still use phone minutes to make and receive calls in Google Voice, so you're not taking revenue away from AT&T by using it (apart from international calling I guess, but who would call abroad from their cell phone, give AT&Ts ridiculous rates?) Google voice is really no different from using a calling card for making outgoing calls.

Google Voice works just fine now on AT&T's network, the only thing that doesn't work about it is that Apple have rejected or pulled all the Apps that make Google Voice easier to use on the iPhone. It still works on the iPhone if you go to the Google Voice webpage through Mobile Safari.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 01:57 PM   #19
slffl
macrumors 65816

I don't see what AT&T is worried about. Just like SMS vs chat apps, most people aren't nerds and don't have everyone they know also using chat. Same goes with VoIP. Personally I know nobody who would use chat and VoIP apps, yet they all have cell phones and use SMS.
Old Oct 6, 2009, 02:03 PM   #20
eh270
macrumors regular

As much as I am all for this in theory, I can't help but wonder the toll it will take on their already strained 3G network.
eh270 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 02:06 PM   #21
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Did this occur because of the pressure from the FCC?

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 02:06 PM   #22
*LTD*
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eh270 View Post
As much as I am all for this in theory, I can't help but wonder the toll it will take on their already strained 3G network.
Good point.

AT&T bit off more than it could chew with the iPhone, and this might be more of the same.
*LTD* is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 02:06 PM   #23
drumrobot
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sishaw View Post
Google Voice's screening feature is very useful...

I love Night Watch!
drumrobot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 02:08 PM   #24
drumrobot
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrlsmarc View Post
Calls on Google Voice are free (as long as they are not international), which is different from VOIP services.
drumrobot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 02:09 PM   #25
DipDog3
macrumors 6502a

Wait.

AT&T's 3G is overloaded as it is!

Isn't this just going to make things worse?

Interactive Phone - Try out the new Virtual iPhone 5s (Download Code @ RedRome.com)
DipDog3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion