Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b16a2t

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Well I thought I would throw this out there. Yes I did some searching but not able to find a satisfactory answer. As broad as the question is, I am hoping for a few broad ideas. Like the heading states, what could you build with 9 machines? An array? A pile of junk? I just feel that somehow connecting all the CPUs, mother boards, graphic cards ... 6 zip drives, 2 CDROM cardridges, 8 DVD drives, could make somthing kinda neat. It's been a long night, so Ill check back and try and post pictures, or a more detailed list if anyone finds the topic worth replying to. Thanks for any input and constructive ideas!

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
How about a very small render farm??
You'll probably need some decent networking hardware to make it all work.

... but to be honest I ain't sure it'll be worth your trouble as those machines ain't the fastest cruncher out there.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Id sell them all on ebay and make some money, the worlds slowest render farm wouldnt be much use.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
A renderfarm would be pretty cool, even if it wasn't the best out there. If you already have all the machines and work with the right software on another machine, just shove it on XGrid and go do the 9-5.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
attachment.php

Guess if you keep it running doing headless folding, you can go have a heated couch for those coming winter months.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
A little network for all your friends to play games on? Things like voyager elite force are fun and would run well. Or warcraft 3. In terms of CPU power those are all pretty obsolete, allowing for overheads you'd be much better off with one or two quad-core hackintoshes/windows systems. If you're just doing it for the experience then I suppose you could play with networking, and running file/webservers, and as the others say, you could fold on them.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
Sell them and get a nice Mini for a decent price.

Should be better for rendering, maybe not in pure CPU power, but in terms of better software support.
Even if you want to play a little with networking, a Mini and some VM's will do better and cheaper, especially if you consider the power consumption of 9 PowerPC Macintoshes.

Personally, I would not like to pay the bills for them if they are running 24/7.

macinfojunkie

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2005
1. Give them away to someone who does not have a computer
2. Recycle them
3. Sell them - would they be worth the postage?
4. Make a bonfire!

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Actually, for a question related to setting up a render farm... Let's say there's an Intel machine on XGrid, sending out rendering info to PPC machines. Does XGrid desciminate between machines and OSes, or does it follow Apple's maxim of "Just Work"ing?

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Id sell them all on ebay and make some money, the worlds slowest render farm wouldnt be much use.

Considering some of those machines would only have a 10/100Mhz LAN, it would be pretty slow. Even with 1Ghz LAN, I don't think it's all that easy.

Actually, for a question related to setting up a render farm... Let's say there's an Intel machine on XGrid, sending out rendering info to PPC machines. Does XGrid desciminate between machines and OSes, or does it follow Apple's maxim of "Just Work"ing?

Assumming the OP was to run Leopard on all of those systems and all the networking is done via a fast switch, you'll still need an application that supports XGrid and there ain't that many to be honest plus different applications requires a slightly different set up.

I know Maya Unlimited, Shake, Compressor and Mental Ray does and maybe Motion as well but that's your lot (i think). Oh, Adobe's After Effects does support Xgrid but you need to install Adobe's own engine there plus it needs a central server for it's data..

In case anyone is wondering, FCP doesn't.
The other option is to use them to crunch/compiling code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.