Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gfhoward

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
Hey guys, just bought a Mac Pro Quad. Wondering if I can get an increase in internet speed by swapping out some components or cables. I don't know anything about benchmarking or speeding up internet, so treat me like a NooB. Here's my current set-up:

I use Time Warner cable internet
the cable goes from the wall to to the modem TW supplied
Modem is connected to a D-Link DI-604 Router via ethernet cable
Computer is connected to the router via ethernet cable

Thanks!

lemonade-maker

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
Hey guys, just bought a Mac Pro Quad. Wondering if I can get an increase in internet speed by swapping out some components or cables. I don't know anything about benchmarking or speeding up internet, so treat me like a NooB. Here's my current set-up:

Thanks!

Try direct connect without the d-link router. Never liked any d-link stuff.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004

Thanks!

nope, that's about all you can do except pay for a faster tier service :)

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Nothing you can do besides buy faster internet.

Comcast brought me up to 30 megabits for $20 more a month. Been worth it so far. Thinking about paying another $20 to go to 50.

Some sites can't give me enough bandwidth to fill the 30 megabits, but most can so far.

forester54

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2009
Washington
why do we have 2 internet ports on the back of the case? I just have one plugged in and have never really looked at the back for the res t

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
why do we have 2 internet ports on the back of the case? I just have one plugged in and have never really looked at the back for the res t

You can use the other port for networking with other computers or with a time capsule.

BTW try to use another cable if your Gigabit link goes down to 100 Mbit/s. CAT6 cable will definitely avoid such issues. Obviously your router also has to support Gigabit ports. Check the spec of the D-Link. And finally your cable modem has to supply download in excess of 100 Mbit/s to lift the whole chain above 100Mbit/s.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
nope, that's about all you can do except pay for a faster tier service :)
This is all that can be done.

And it won't help if the system on the other end (or any other in the chain) is on a slower connection than yours or has a very high traffic level for the band it has access to.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
You can use the other port for networking with other computers or with a time capsule.

BTW try to use another cable if your Gigabit link goes down to 100 Mbit/s. CAT6 cable will definitely avoid such issues. Obviously your router also has to support Gigabit ports. Check the spec of the D-Link. And finally your cable modem has to supply download in excess of 100 Mbit/s to lift the whole chain above 100Mbit/s.
I'd be totally amazed if the ISP connection is anywhere near that though. ;) Nor enough other traffic on the router to use that much band, let alone more, especially with a lack of further details. ;)

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
I'd be totally amazed if the ISP connection is anywhere near that though. ;) Nor enough other traffic on the router to use that much band, let alone more, especially with a lack of further details. ;)

My cable modem has a gigabit port and can in theory push over 100 megabits, but I don't know of any service that fast right now...

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany

Yeah, on second thought I realized that as well. It crossed my mind because I was puzzled by a slow speed between my MP and TC. That was the cable issue. Gigabyte files make you realize when the connection drops to 10% throughput.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
My cable modem has a gigabit port and can in theory push over 100 megabits, but I don't know of any service that fast right now...
Not in a residential areas in the US at least. :( Tesselator's using 80Mb/s in Japan though... I'm jealous. :p

Yeah, on second thought I realized that as well.
ISP speeds in the US suck, and why I don't think much of on-demand services hear ATM. The infrastructure is too inadequate for the necessary bandwidth, even with the latest compression schemes.

Gigabyte files make you realize when the connection drops to 10% throughput.
For something this large, you would notice it. Can you team your ports to 2x the speed?

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
No idea, I just got the right cable and up it went again. I put my Winclone files on the 2 TB TC and got a bit curious why the Ethernet was slower than the WLAN.
Understandable.

I was just thinking, if you wanted to go past a TC (or have other devices that would benefit), that port teaming is a way of increasing throughputs at as little cost as possible (might actually be free, if what you have is capable). But say a NAS box for backups would be an example, so long as it supports teaming (MP too for that matter, but its a driver). You can DIY a NAX (or AoE, iSCSI) for very little funds compared to available products.

Just a thought. :)

gfhoward

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
How do I check what internet speed I am currently getting? Is there a website you go to or something? The internet speeds at the Apple Store were awesome, so I asked them what they were running. They said wireless using a T3 cable off of a cable internet connection. What does T3 mean?

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
How do I check what internet speed I am currently getting? Is there a website you go to or something? The internet speeds at the Apple Store were awesome, so I asked them what they were running. They said wireless using a T3 cable off of a cable internet connection. What does T3 mean?

T3 means they pay truckloads of money to the internet company every month. Usually you can't even get T3 in residential neighborhoods.

Your options for faster internet are changing your internet plans. There is no way to get faster internet for the amount your are currently playing on the same connection.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
T3 means they pay truckloads of money to the internet company every month. Usually you can't even get T3 in residential neighborhoods.

Your options for faster internet are changing your internet plans. There is no way to get faster internet for the amount your are currently playing on the same connection.

Sorry but you are mistaken. T3 = 45Mb/s. You can easily get that with U-Verse or FiOS. In NY you can even get beyond T3 speeds.

I do agree however with the fact that no matter how much you reconfigure the hardware your limit is going to be whatever you are paying...

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Sorry but you are mistaken. T3 = 45Mb/s. You can easily get that with U-Verse or FiOS. In NY you can even get beyond T3 speeds.

I was talking about the price of T3 specifically. I have 30 megabit at home, I'm aware of the high speed options.

T3 is more expensive because it is dedicated bandwidth.

apfhex

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2006
Northern California
Doesn't matter. You can get dedicated T3 lines....
Meh. OC12 or bust. :D

Comcast has 50Mb speeds in my area now, for the low low price of more than double what I'm currently paying them. No thanks.

OP, you can go to Speedtest.net to test your connection. Chances are it's not even fast enough to max out a 802.11b wifi connection, if it's anything like typical U.S. broadband speeds.

gfhoward

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
Speedtest is showing I have an download speed of 14.21 Mb/s. How am I doing?

blacka4

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Pittsburgh
hehe I have FiOS at home and have like 30 down and 15 up. plenty fast for me. I worked for a school district that had a WAN setup between buildings running OC3 and the tunnel out was OC12..now that stuff was fast when you plugged directly in at the NOC. However the gigabit over fiber they where running between floors in the buildings and 100baseT over copper slowed everything down

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008

I do agree however with the fact that no matter how much you reconfigure the hardware your limit is going to be whatever you are paying...

You can't get T3 upload speeds though yet, 45mbits down and up. Plus it's like guaranteed 99.999% uptime or whatever.

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
hehe I have FiOS at home and have like 30 down and 15 up. plenty fast for me. I worked for a school district that had a WAN setup between buildings running OC3 and the tunnel out was OC12..now that stuff was fast when you plugged directly in at the NOC. However the gigabit over fiber they where running between floors in the buildings and 100baseT over copper slowed everything down

How? Unless they had crappy switches, OC3 is only 150mbits/s~..

xlii

macrumors 68000
Sep 19, 2006
Millis, Massachusetts
I just upgraded my 9 year old cable modem for a doscis 3.0 compliant modem. Via speedtest.net I was averaging 5 mbs with the old modem and 30 mbs with the new modem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.