Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ej1crash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
so im pretty much retarded when it comes to iphones so i need all
the detailed help you can give lol
i have an iphone 2g updated to 3.1.2.
not only do i not know what that means i dont have any idea
howto unlock it so i can use it on tmobile
thanks for your help

jthomp

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2008
the 717
Yes it is only a JB, but they all tell you pretty much the same thing in regards to an unlock.... It doesn't look good...

dread

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Yes and it is currently not possible to unlock a phone running 3.1 and above.

ej1crash

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2009
so what options do i have to get my phone working
really dont want to sell it so yeah plz help

ebika

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Chicago
I believe you run blackra1n to jailbreak it, install cydia, install ultrasn0w and unlock. The official firmware does not update the baseband of 2G phones any more. It hasn't for a while now.

Edit: the one thing that will probably get you stuck is the activation. blackra1n doesn't hacktivate. You'll probably need to wait for the upcoming pwnage tool to jailbreak, activate and unlock

fjk

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
I believe you run blackra1n to jailbreak it, install cydia, install ultrasn0w and unlock. The official firmware does not update the baseband of 2G phones any more. It hasn't for a while now.

Edit: the one thing that will probably get you stuck is the activation. blackra1n doesn't hacktivate. You'll probably need to wait for the upcoming pwnage tool to jailbreak, activate and unlock

Well, i have seen users referring to "2G" phones equally often as:

EDGE phones (non 3G, hence 2G)

or

Second Generation (2G, officially iPhone 3G).

So depends on which he means.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
The new Pwnage tool 3.1.4 will jailbreak and unlock your phone.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

You will not need UltraSn0w as you have a 2G, that is only for 3G/3GS phones.

However, if you are on a Windows PC, you will need to wait for the next version of RedSn0w to be released, that will do the same.

yudilks

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2006

However, if you are on a Windows PC, you will need to wait for the next version of RedSn0w to be released, that will do the same.

Please take note that if you have factory-locked 3G or 3GS, you CANNOT update directly from iTunes then jailbreak and unlock since the newest baseband is not currently unlock able...

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Dev Team said they arent releasing a Windows version so dont know if a new Redsn0w will come out. Dont know why they arent going to do a Windows version. My 2G is already unlocked and shouldnt relock upon upgrading as it never has but i want to be able to activate it again.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006

screenshot20091014at218.png

Yes and it is currently not possible to unlock a phone running 3.1 and above.

screenshot20091014at215.png

screenshot20091014at215.png

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
Dev Team said they arent releasing a Windows version so dont know if a new Redsn0w will come out. Dont know why they arent going to do a Windows version. My 2G is already unlocked and shouldnt relock upon upgrading as it never has but i want to be able to activate it again.

i was just going by this recent comment on Dev Team blog, before the latest Pwnage came out:

"PwnageTool and redsn0w are not yet compatible with 3.1.2"

Gives me hope there'll be a new redsn0w sometime....

ignus graius

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
so im pretty much retarded when it comes to iphones so i need all
the detailed help you can give lol
i have an iphone 2g updated to 3.1.2.
not only do i not know what that means i dont have any idea
howto unlock it so i can use it on tmobile
thanks for your help

I've been messing with my old 2G lately... a lot of fun. Do you have a Mac or PC?

For my phone, I downgraded to 3.0 and used redsn0w to unlock. Google "iclarified firmware" to find a firmware download for the 2G. Once you have the 3.0 firmware, use iTunes to restore by holding the Option key (Mac) or Shift key (Windows) and clicking restore.

If you want to remain at 3.1.2, I think you have to use PwnageTool, which is currently Mac-only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.