Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
Hey everybody,

I know for a while now a lot of people have been wanting a way to hook up the PS3 (or any other non-Mini DisplayPort device for that matter) to the LED Cinema Display. There is finally a way to do it now thanks to Atlona Technologies.

For any DVI-enabled Mac or PC all you will need is there new DVI to Mini DisplayPort Converter.

Now for the PS3 it is a little more complicated. You can't simply use just the DVI to Mini DP Converter, because the LED Cinema Display doesn't support any of the resolutions output by the PS3. So to fix this you need their HDMI Scaler.

I currently have both of these devices to use my PS3 with my LED Cinema Display and I am extremely pleased with the outcome. The picture quality is absolutely amazing. This is absolutely the best display to use with a PS3.

As of now using these two devices with the proper cables is the only solution for connecting a PS3 to the LED Cinema Display and getting a full 1080p picture.

Atlona says though that they will be releasing a new device which combines the functionality of these two devices into one and they estimate that it will cost $200-250 (It should be available by the end of the year). It will also allow you to keep your Mini DP enabled computer and HDMI enabled device plugged into the box simultaneously and will have a switch to allow you to choose which one is displayed on the screen.

Hope the quality of the pics is good enough...if not I will upload uncompressed version to flickr and post a link.

Attachments

• DSC01339.jpg
    DSC01339.jpg
    1,018.3 KB · Views: 1,805
  • DSC01343.jpg
    DSC01343.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,397
  • DSC01371.jpg
    DSC01371.jpg
    997.7 KB · Views: 1,843
  • DSC01372.jpg
    DSC01372.jpg
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 1,158
  • DSC01375.jpg
    DSC01375.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,509

rkdiddy

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2008
OC Baby!
Hey everybody,

I know for a while now a lot of people have been wanting a way to hook up the PS3 (or any other non-Mini DisplayPort device for that matter) to the LED Cinema Display. There is finally a way to do it now thanks to Atlona Technologies.

For any DVI-enabled Mac or PC all you will need is there new DVI to Mini DisplayPort Converter.

Now for the PS3 it is a little more complicated. You can't simply use just the DVI to Mini DP Converter, because the LED Cinema Display doesn't support any of the resolutions output by the PS3. So to fix this you need their HDMI Scaler.

I currently have both of these devices to use my PS3 with my LED Cinema Display and I am extremely pleased with the outcome. The picture quality is absolutely amazing. This is absolutely the best display to use with a PS3.

As of now using these two devices with the proper cables is the only solution for connecting a PS3 to the LED Cinema Display and getting a full 1080p picture.

Atlona says though that they will be releasing a new device which combines the functionality of these two devices into one and they estimate that it will cost $200-250 (It should be available by the end of the year). It will also allow you to keep your Mini DP enabled computer and HDMI enabled device plugged into the box simultaneously and will have a switch to allow you to choose which one is displayed on the screen.

i will try to post some pictures of my PS3 running on my LED Cinema Display later today.

Thank you for the information - I'm sure there are a lot of us that will find it helpful.

But for the price of both - roughly $400 - I could almost purchase a 1080p 32"+ TV.

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
Thank you for the information - I'm sure there are a lot of us that will find it helpful.

But for the price of both - roughly $400 - I could almost purchase a 1080p 32"+ TV.

Yeah that's why I was sure to put in there that the new device is expected to be about half the price of the current setup.

But it is nice to know that there is finally a guaranteed solution out there.

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
get us some pics, thanks for sharing man

So sorry...I completely forgot that I was gonna put up pics. I've had an economics test and have been doing research for a formal proposal for another on of my classes. It's been a really long week lol.

I will post them in a little while. Currently re-jailbreaking my iPhone.

Cycom

Suspended
Mar 27, 2007
Commiefornia
Very cool device.....but pricey! If it was around $150 I'd consider picking one up when I get an LED Cinema Display next year.

Killzone 2 must look stunning on it :eek:

umgoblue2008

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
The problem with using pc monitors for PS3/Xbox 360 gaming is that most monitors are 16:10 and PS3/360 output is 16:9 so there is some horizontal stretching... might not be a big deal for some of you, but just keep it in mind.

wolfie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2008
with the hdmi scaler is it possible to get the native resolution of the led to 1920 1200?

and play the ps3 on that resolution?

luisalgarvio

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
Using all this things you still have sound? From where? the video input from the imac 27 also receives sound?

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
with the hdmi scaler is it possible to get the native resolution of the led to 1920 1200?

and play the ps3 on that resolution?

Yes that is actually how it works. It upscales the ps3's resolution of 1920x1080 to 1920x1200. It says 1920x1080 on the screen because that it is the input resolution

Using all this things you still have sound? From where? the video input from the imac 27 also receives sound?

I still have sound. The scaler(black box) actually has optical input and output, and is capable of de-embedding the digital sound from the HDMI cable and outputting it through optical or it can function as an optical pass-through. And I don't believe the imac 27 can receive sound input through mini displayport as it does not support sound. But possibly through usb or standard mini-jack input(analog or digital). I use optical cable to input sound into my Logitech Z-5500's, but at the time of the pictures I had the optical cable plugged into my MBP for digital output.

umgoblue2008

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
how well does it upscale 1080p contect from the ps3?

The PS3 isn't like a computer, all of its games are rendered in 16:9, therefore any other resolutions will look stretched.

You can tell in the images posted that it is slightly stretched vertically... the icons are not perfect circles but rather oblong, and ratchet looks slightly taller than he should be.

Londinium

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Uk
Would you need to upscale the Ps3 to do this on the new Imac? As one of the native resolutions is 1920x1080 the same output of the ps3 and not 1920x1200 as on the old displays.

(Thread was first result when doing Google search)

wolfie

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2008
The PS3 isn't like a computer, all of its games are rendered in 16:9, therefore any other resolutions will look stretched.

You can tell in the images posted that it is slightly stretched vertically... the icons are not perfect circles but rather oblong, and ratchet looks slightly taller than he should be.

thats no good :(

umgoblue2008

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
Would you need to upscale the Ps3 to do this on the new Imac? As one of the native resolutions is 1920x1080 the same output of the ps3 and not 1920x1200 as on the old displays.

(Thread was first result when doing Google search)

im assuming you are talking about the 27" iMac with mini-DP in? The only thing you would need is a male HDMI -> male mini-DP cord from the PS3 to the new iMac. Not sure if it'll work but worth a try.

monkeybear

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2009
I think I've seen this scaler in Akihabra for 15,000 yen (~$160). Is this company private labellign it?

lonniefrank

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2009
jlpoore89

i'm a noobie so forgive my ignorance. am interested in how well the dvi to mini display port adaptor works when connecting your macbook pro santa rosa to the 24" apple cinema display. this is the same configuration that i would have. am interested in the adaptor but can't find feedback from anyone that has actually tried this.

how well does it work, and are you satisfied with the adaptor in this configuration?

any insight you can provide is appreciated.
lonniefrank

MLAbeau

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
What about 23" Cinema Display?

Hi I have a Mac Pro Dual Core Intel Xeon with 23" Cinema Display
I'm wondering can this setup work on my display? I guess what I want to know is there anyway to connect the PS3 to the Mac Pro? I have a ps3 a friend let me borrow here at home. I was told it would work with my HDMI to DVI Connection. I tried that. Now what do I do? If the converter setup works I'm down or the one that comes out later this year. Thanks

kntgsp

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
I'm extremely curious as to how much lag this introduces into the setup. Do you notice delays between moving the controller and the image moving on screen? Or is it immediate? I have a hard time believing something this complicated doesn't introduce noticeable lag into the system.

I'm interested in this as I use the GTX 285 in my Mac Pro and it only has DVI outs. But I tried a similar device on a PS2 a few years back to get it to connect to a computer monitor and there was significant lag between moving the controller and noticing movement on screen. This would be even more detrimental on a computer system.

It's also quite telling when in their own demo videos, Atlona leaves out any live demonstration to prove they don't introduce input lag. Most of the "reviews" linked on their site are not reviews, but simply copypasted press releases. The few that do review the product just paste large sections of the press release and none of them mention lag or lack thereof. Smells fishy.

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
Sorry everybody I have been really busy with school and haven't had time to get on here until now (finally finished my proposal :D).

To lonnie: I haven't tried using my Santa Rosa MBP on the LED display with the converter yet. I hardly ever use my SR MBP anymore and am actually looking to sell it. I'm assuming it should work fine, but I will test it out and let you know either on here or by PM. (read my response to kntgsp as well, it might help)

To kntgsp: I was very afraid of lag before I bought these converters. But after I received them I tried everything I could think of to test for lag and couldn't find any. Character movement is instantaneous and so are gunshots. And Atlona is a really good company their products are top of the line and if you ever have any questions just give them a call. They will actually test a setup for you and tell you how it works.

About stretching: The stretching is only really noticeable on the main menu of the PS3, but during games or movies it is completely unnoticeable. The picture is only being stretched by 60 pixels up and down and when the total # of pixels is 1200 is very hard to tell.

Hope this helps everybody out. Keep the questions coming though. I am willing to answer anybody's questions concerning this setup or related ideas.

P.S.- I might try to put a video up of the screen and the controller to show that there is no lag. Don't know when I will have time for it though as finals week is approaching.

James

Wow! I have been considering this setup for a couple of mouths now, but to me the cost barrier was too high, and also the fear of lag drove me away! But those pictures, and the resolution! It's so beautiful! Thanks a lot for posting this for us, and just curiously, when you said you still got audio I presume that is not through the display (as that audio is through USB).
Thanks,
King Mook Mook

jlpoore89

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Beaumont, Texas
Wow! I have been considering this setup for a couple of mouths now, but to me the cost barrier was too high, and also the fear of lag drove me away! But those pictures, and the resolution! It's so beautiful! Thanks a lot for posting this for us, and just curiously, when you said you still got audio I presume that is not through the display (as that audio is through USB).
Thanks,
King Mook Mook

Yeah like I've said if you can wait a month or two it will only cost you about $200 - $250 for this setup. And the pictures don't do it any justice, it looks so amazing and even my 10MP camera can't capture the amazing quality of the image on the screen.

EDIT: I get my audio through and optical digital cable. The HDMI Scaler has optical input and output. And I have a Logitech Z-5500 system.

MLAbeau

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
Can Someone Please Respond

Hi I have a Mac Pro Dual Core Intel Xeon with 23" Cinema Display
I'm wondering can this setup work on my display? I guess what I want to know is there anyway to connect the PS3 to the Mac Pro that doesn't have a 24" LED, just a 23" like mine? I have a ps3 a friend let me borrow here at home. I was told it would work with my HDMI to DVI Connection. I tried that. Now what do I do? If the converter setup works I'm down or the one that comes out later this year. Or is this whole thing only able to work on the 24" LED

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.