Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Several weeks ago, we noted "unboxing" photos of an Apple job offer showing off the sleek and modern look expected of all Apple products.

Earlier this week, we received a new set of photos showing the unboxing of an Apple employee T-shirt. The T-shirts were reportedly given as gifts to Apple call center technical support staff and their packaging and presentation again demonstrate the Apple design aesthetic, including an apparently embossed gift note and the company's obligatory Apple stickers.

Article Link: Apple Employee T-Shirt Unboxing Photos

nacengineer

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2006
San Francisco, CA, USA
Really?!?

This kind of ticks me off as I... an Apple Nerd with mad skills and new to SF and in need of a job... was passed up for a job at Apple retail, yet a girl who didn't even know you could make the Apple mouse right click got the job. So I guess you can "ask" anything... just don't expect an answer.

mackpro

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2008
Indiana University
This kind of ticks me off as I... an Apple Nerd with mad skills and new to SF and in need of a job... was passed up for a job at Apple retail, yet a girl who didn't even know you could make the Apple mouse right click got the job. So I guess you can "ask" anything... just don't expect an answer.

i have almost never been able to have a difficult question answered by Apple, in person or on the phone. i think they are more concerned with aesthetics when it comes to employees lol.

fabian9

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2007
Bristol, UK

as far as i know it's not a requirement to know everything about macs when you start your employment. They say they'll convert you when you get there. lol

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007

A computer nerd isn't the type of person they want to employee. It is personality, not skills.

parish

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2009
Wilts., UK

Maybe they figured she's look better in an Apple Employee T-shirt than you ;)

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
i have almost never been able to have a difficult question answered by Apple, in person or on the phone. i think they are more concerned with aesthetics when it comes to employees lol.

FWIW, I've had the opposite: both on the phone and at the Genius Bar, Apple has always really impressed me--both with solving my problems AND with their stance toward me as a customer.

Of course it varies from employee to employee I realize--I don't doubt that real horror stories exist.

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
That shirt seems even brighter than the orange or teal ones.

What position were you applying for nacengineer?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005

Could it be the attitude?

As far as I'm concerned the less you know about the product the better you'll do in an interview. If you look like you're just going to recite specs it seems they're far from interested. I could be wrong but that's what people seem to say.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

The complaining on MacRumors is out of control. I'm sorry you didn't get the job but had you read the original post, you would have seen that these shirts were not for their retail employees but the call center staff. Hey, isn't Microsoft opening a store in SF?

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Note that this is NOT an Apple Retail employee shirt, nor is this type of packaging used for Apple Retail employees. This type of packaging appears to be specifically for their call support center, as Retail employees simply get their shirts in a plastic bag (as they are updated so often).

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
Lose a few pounds, wear some skinny jeans, get a hipster haircut and act like you don't care. Then you'll get the job.

Apple Store employees remind me why people have a hatred of Apple users (based on a stereotype that mostly doesn't exist).

akidd

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2007
Tunbridge Wells, UK
Rather than comment on the level of new staff knowledge, isn't it more to the point to ask how much money Apple is spending on all these T-shirt and job boxes?
I'm sure the marketing department will say it reinforces brand values or some such line, but really are you not going to take a job because you don't get a cardboard box - that you weren't expecting anyway?
And this doesn't give Apple many green points does it? Unless they ask for the boxes back?

Still, the 27in iMac looks and seems to be great so we have to be positive. My 24in 3.06 is showing slight signs of green now.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I still want a shirt from Apple. Mi amigo que trabaja en una tienda de Apple (en Miami, FL) no puede conseguir una camisa para mí :(

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I'm sure the marketing department will say it reinforces brand values or some such line, but really are you not going to take a job because you don't get a cardboard box - that you weren't expecting anyway?
And this doesn't give Apple many green points does it? Unless they ask for the boxes back?
I'm not sure marketing has anything to do with this. As already noted, these shirts are not for Apple Retail employees. If anything, they're meant as an internal morale boost.

The letter indicates they're for AppleCare (telephone) employees, so no Apple customer is ever going to "see" them.

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
Could it be the attitude?

As far as I'm concerned the less you know about the product the better you'll do in an interview. If you look like you're just going to recite specs it seems they're far from interested. I could be wrong but that's what people seem to say.

Lol, things that make you go hmmm . . . I know I don't always like it when people chase me around a store wanting to spit facts out just to show me they know something lol. Maybe that's what they perceived from that guy. Most companies want people who know their stuff but are also somewhat personable. ;)

tempusfugit

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2009
Chicago

Yeah don't get me started. I graduated in May from college and was unable to find a job until REALLY recently. I'm sort of a computer expert and a good salesman, and I thought I had a shot at at least making a few bucks at the apple store until a real job came around. I applied to 4 or 5 apple stores without a single reply from any of them, even though they all said they were hiring.

Don't worry, you'll find something else. I just got a great job and I'll be making way more money than if I were working in an Apple retail store, practically every one of which is filled with hipster quasi-geeks who know less than me about every product Apple has to offer.

Every once in a while you have a great experience at the Apple store but a lot of times you leave annoyed that the 18 year old who was "helping" you couldn't answer a single damn question without checking online and telling me what I already knew.

I bought an apple cinema display a week ago. I knew I wanted it when I walked in the store, and that I was going to walk out with one. So needless to say I didn't have too many questions. I'd been researching getting one for a long time. I asked the retard who was helping me if there was a student discount (which there is) and keep in mind that I asked him purely for the sake of conversation. He said he would be right back and spent 10 minutes in the back of the store figuring it out.

How is it that I basically memorized all the pricing of their products and the kid who works there can't do the same? Ridiculous. I used to assume that if someone was working in the Apple store they were most likely going to be more knowledgeable than myself, but now that would be the exception.

Keep truckin.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.