Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmac10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
I just had a question. I am visiting family that doesn't have a (PC) computer compatible with itunes yet. I am travelling with my PC laptop that has itunes on it already and works with my 8g touch. My brother has an ipod nano 16g that doesnt have any music on it yet and I wanted to put some music on it for him but I've run into some issues.

Could he put songs from my library, or use a itunes gift card through my account? Since he doesn't have an account set up, would that affect his ipod/account later, or mine? My worry is that once their computer is compatible with itunes, when he puts it into that computer everything will be lost. Any help would be much appreciated!

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
An iPod can only be synced with one computer at a time. You can have as many iPods as you want to sync with your iTunes, however. So the thing is, you can sync his iPod with your laptop, but once he connects it to another computer, then it'll ask if he wants to erase it (because it will have already been connected to a library -- yours).

There are different programs out there to pull the music off the iPod and then erase it, that way he wouldn't lose any of your music. But aside from that, he'd have to erase the iPod once connected to his computer.

mrmac10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Thank you! Probably not worth it if I'm leaving in a few days then...

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Back when I used windows, there was a program called YamiIpod. Maybe google for it and see if it helps. It ripped all the music off ipods for me.

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
An iPod can only be synced with one computer at a time. You can have as many iPods as you want to sync with your iTunes, however. So the thing is, you can sync his iPod with your laptop, but once he connects it to another computer, then it'll ask if he wants to erase it (because it will have already been connected to a library -- yours).

There are different programs out there to pull the music off the iPod and then erase it, that way he wouldn't lose any of your music. But aside from that, he'd have to erase the iPod once connected to his computer.

I synced my ipod to a windows pc first time and enabled hard disk mode. It easily syncs with ANY windows desktop/laptop and also ANY mac...don't know how it happened but it was the same with my mini;) its awesome...i can sync songs from any itunes without any issues...same with videos:cool:

mrmac10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Just by putting it in hard drive mode? How would I do that? Then he would be able to use songs from my library, and use it on the new computer after I leave?!

darkcurse

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2005
Sydney
Just manually manage his iPod to dump songs on it. As for purchased music, just make sure you set their computer as authorised and they'll be able to play music that you've bought. Not that I'm advocating piracy of course, but there is a way to do it. I'm not sure whether its going to be a Windows PC or a Mac, but if its Mac, then you could just use Senuti to transfer the songs from iPod -> Computer before doing the initial sync.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.