27" iMac Video Input With Xbox 360? - Page 5 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Oct 23, 2009, 10:45 PM   #101
theapplefreak
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Yeah sucks it doesn't have HDMI. But I'm positive you can connect a PS3 or 360 to the 27 inch iMac only with the video input.
__________________
iMac 27" 2.8GHz Core i7 Quad Core, 12GB RAM Apple 1st Generation Macbook 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, Upgraded to 60GB SSD and 2GB RAM. 16GB iPhone 4
My Youtube Channel-Subscribe!
theapplefreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 02:40 AM   #102
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by theapplefreak View Post
Yeah sucks it doesn't have HDMI. But I'm positive you can connect a PS3 or 360 to the 27 inch iMac only with the video input.
Yes, but you'll most likely need a fairly expensive video converter to do that. It could cost nearly as much as the PS3 or XBox itself.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:07 PM   #103
zrankin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
so bad news it is...

i got the "Atlona" dvi to mini displayport active converter a few minutes ago... got everything set up, plugged in and then turned everything on... a nothing happened... did command f3 still nothing... so i plugged the hdmi to dvi cable into my other monitor changed the resolution to 1080p ... plugged it back in to the converter, still nothing... then i turned the converter off unplugged from imac... turned it back on and then plugged it back into the imac... this time the screen switched to a completely black screen ... so in conclusion lol sounds like this way doesn't work either but ill still keep messing with it and let you guys know... oh and btw i have a hdmi to mini dp passive adapter and that for sure doesnt work...

so i manned up like someone once said on here and the outcome was bad.. lol
__________________
32gb Black Iphone 4
zrankin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:29 PM   #104
EasyRider
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Thanks zrankin, this is disappointing. Now try it with the 24" LED display
__________________
Switched March 2008 - currently using:
13" rMBP 2.5Ghz/256GB | iPad 3 Wi-Fi 32GB | Apple TV
EasyRider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:29 PM   #105
Crevice
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrankin View Post
i got the "Atlona" dvi to mini displayport active converter a few minutes ago... got everything set up, plugged in and then turned everything on... a nothing happened... did command f3 still nothing... so i plugged the hdmi to dvi cable into my other monitor changed the resolution to 1080p ... plugged it back in to the converter, still nothing... then i turned the converter off unplugged from imac... turned it back on and then plugged it back into the imac... this time the screen switched to a completely black screen ... so in conclusion lol sounds like this way doesn't work either but ill still keep messing with it and let you guys know... oh and btw i have a hdmi to mini dp passive adapter and that for sure doesnt work...

so i manned up like someone once said on here and the outcome was bad.. lol
Well you are good man, keep trying! Haha, looks like we are going to have to wait for the belkin adapter. I am just curious how there cable is going work. If you look around the net, everyone is asking about this function, I hope we find out soon.
Crevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:33 PM   #106
zrankin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyRider View Post
Thanks zrankin, this is disappointing. Now try it with the 24" LED display
yeah its definitely disappointing lol and no thanks im gonna have to start selling everything i have so i can eat haha... cmd f2 is the right sequence but that didnt work either
__________________
32gb Black Iphone 4
zrankin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 01:45 PM   #107
zrankin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
ive messed with resolutions, thats not working, rebooted with connected and on still nothing ... it definitely recognizes that something is connected now bc i can cmd f2 and it switches black, waits,waits,waits and then switches back to mac..
__________________
32gb Black Iphone 4
zrankin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 02:23 PM   #108
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrankin View Post
ive messed with resolutions, thats not working, rebooted with connected and on still nothing ... it definitely recognizes that something is connected now bc i can cmd f2 and it switches black, waits,waits,waits and then switches back to mac..
It's most likely the resolution. I think Atlona suggests a scaler in addition to the DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter if you are going to depart from the 1920x1200 resolution that is supported by the adapter. For example, Atlona says this on their website:

Quote:
Note: HDMI source such as PS3 or Apple TV could also be used; however since output resolutions of the sources don`t match with the display you would also need to add an HDMI to HDMI scaler AT-HD560 between source and AT-DP200
Further, this resolution issue has been discussed in previous posts.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 02:44 PM   #109
sn00pie
macrumors 6502a
 
sn00pie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: United States
I'm pretty sure Apple is working on an adapter for this. I'd imagine we'll see something very soon.
sn00pie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 04:09 PM   #110
Crevice
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc View Post
It's most likely the resolution. I think Atlona suggests a scaler in addition to the DVI to Mini DisplayPort adapter if you are going to depart from the 1920x1200 resolution that is supported by the adapter. For example, Atlona says this on their website:



Further, this resolution issue has been discussed in previous posts.
Zrankin...You could be the first to do it, you are almost there...buy the scaler and you will be there...you can do it...do it for all of us, show us we can follow in your footsteps...be our guinea pig!
Crevice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 06:06 PM   #111
zrankin
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crevice View Post
Zrankin...You could be the first to do it, you are almost there...buy the scaler and you will be there...you can do it...do it for all of us, show us we can follow in your footsteps...be our guinea pig!
lol im not gonna waste anymore money ... i think ill just wait and use my perfect 24" lg... but this is the missing key = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_5548wt_1167 ... so if ppl are willing to donate i'd be willing to test it lol
__________________
32gb Black Iphone 4
zrankin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 07:26 PM   #112
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by zrankin View Post
lol im not gonna waste anymore money ... i think ill just wait and use my perfect 24" lg... but this is the missing key = http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_5548wt_1167 ... so if ppl are willing to donate i'd be willing to test it lol
That unit seems to have the same maximum output resolution as the bare Atlona video converter (1920x1200). There may not be any scalers that go as high as 2560x1440 or if they do they could be gigantically expensive. I think someone will have to produce a unit that is built specifically for the 27" iMac, I guess the Belkin unit will be it.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2009, 10:31 PM   #113
glitch44
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sn00pie View Post
I'm pretty sure Apple is working on an adapter for this. I'd imagine we'll see something very soon.
Yes, previously in the thread: info. It seems people missed it.
glitch44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:09 AM   #114
IChing
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch44 View Post
Yes, previously in the thread: info. It seems people missed it.
Belkin will have the adapter ready in January. I found a link but am posting on my iPhone. Read it from an insider from belkin
IChing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 10:07 AM   #115
moritzbaer
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
hello,
I´m from germany. Can you explane me exactly whether i can connect my xbox 360 to my apple led cinema display??
Os this converter correct? http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=508267
moritzbaer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:14 AM   #116
Frozentoast
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by IChing View Post
Belkin will have the adapter ready in January. I found a link but am posting on my iPhone. Read it from an insider from belkin
You are referring to this excerpt:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the dual Mini DisplayPort cable from Belkin won't let you input video from other devices. For that you'll have to wait until January. Details on what Belkin's cooking up are scant, so we can't offer much information about the forthcoming adapter other than that it's on the way and it does more than connect two Macs. But given that you can output the iMac over HDMI, DVI, and other formats with the Mini DisplayPort adapter cable, we'd expect that any updated input adapter would include those formats as well. Our hope is that, similar to all-in-ones from a variety of PC vendors, the new cable from Belkin will allow you to input video to the iMac from game consoles, cable boxes, Blu-ray players, HD camcorders, and other such devices currently bound to your television. The appeal of such capability should be obvious, but we'll unfortunately have to wait until the adapter hits before we can test it out.
Apple iMac 27-inch Desktop reviews - CNET Reviews
__________________
illustrography
very graphic artist
Frozentoast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 04:47 PM   #117
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozentoast View Post
You are referring to this excerpt:
Quote:
Unfortunately, the dual Mini DisplayPort cable from Belkin won't let you input video from other devices. For that you'll have to wait until January. Details on what Belkin's cooking up are scant, so we can't offer much information about the forthcoming adapter other than that it's on the way and it does more than connect two Macs. But given that you can output the iMac over HDMI, DVI, and other formats with the Mini DisplayPort adapter cable, we'd expect that any updated input adapter would include those formats as well. Our hope is that, similar to all-in-ones from a variety of PC vendors, the new cable from Belkin will allow you to input video to the iMac from game consoles, cable boxes, Blu-ray players, HD camcorders, and other such devices currently bound to your television. The appeal of such capability should be obvious, but we'll unfortunately have to wait until the adapter hits before we can test it out.
Apple iMac 27-inch Desktop reviews - CNET Reviews
Problem is, this is likely to be a fairly expensive device. Thus, those who think that they'll just be able to use a cheap, twenty dollar plus adapter are going to be seriously disappointed. I can well imagine that this type of video converter to support the full 2560x1440 resolution on the 27" iMac could run upwards of $200 (U.S.). The real problem appears to be that high resolution. Some of the PC products that support HDMI input run at 1920x1080, so they're basically nothing more than a 1080p TV set.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2009, 06:53 PM   #118
Frozentoast
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Manchester, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc View Post
Problem is, this is likely to be a fairly expensive device. Thus, those who think that they'll just be able to use a cheap, twenty dollar plus adapter are going to be seriously disappointed. I can well imagine that this type of video converter to support the full 2560x1440 resolution on the 27" iMac could run upwards of $200 (U.S.).
That isn't an unreasonable price if something such as this worked seamlessly and allowed lag-free gaming.
__________________
illustrography
very graphic artist
Frozentoast is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 01:19 AM   #119
jordwest
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
If the solution is going to be an active converter (ie expensive and needs to be powered by usb) how about just going for a USB digital TV receiver with a video input? Or maybe there exists a dedicated video input device.

Then again, maybe it would be too laggy for gaming.
jordwest is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 03:28 AM   #120
fpnc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpnc
Problem is, this is likely to be a fairly expensive device. Thus, those who think that they'll just be able to use a cheap, twenty dollar plus adapter are going to be seriously disappointed. I can well imagine that this type of video converter to support the full 2560x1440 resolution on the 27" iMac could run upwards of $200 (U.S.). The real problem appears to be that high resolution. Some of the PC products that support HDMI input run at 1920x1080, so they're basically nothing more than a 1080p TV set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozentoast View Post
That isn't an unreasonable price if something such as this worked seamlessly and allowed lag-free gaming.
That might be true. However, that won't satisfy those legions of users who have been outright insisting that it will only require a $20 cable to do HDMI/DVI input.

I'm not saying that $200 would be unfair given the apparent technical issues involved, just that the backlash is going to be pretty significant if the cost is really that high.
fpnc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:23 AM   #121
XboxEvolved
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Yeah I just read CNETs review and I thought that was cool, especially since Im finally getting around to having some extra cash (my advice people stay the hell away from buying on credit) by January and want to get the i7 27'. I just am not sure how the whole sound thing works. This also works out cuz I wanted to buy a Samsung LED eventually, and now I could go for another while until I went out and bought one.
__________________
24' Early 2009 iMac, 3.06 Ghz, 8GB, 1TB || 16GB Space Gray iPhone 5S || 64GB Wifi+Cellular Silver iPad Air
XboxEvolved is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:43 AM   #122
spenwat
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
I'm hoping to use this iMac as a monitor for my windows machine, instead of waiting for one of these active converters that could cost up to $200 should I just get a new video card with a displayport output for $150 like the HD 5750? Will this work just like it would with a MB of MBP?
spenwat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:49 AM   #123
glitch44
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by spenwat View Post
I'm hoping to use this iMac as a monitor for my windows machine, instead of waiting for one of these active converters that could cost up to $200 should I just get a new video card with a displayport output for $150 like the HD 5750? Will this work just like it would with a MB of MBP?
read this entire thread:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...99#post8681699
glitch44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 05:28 AM   #124
bajee
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Belkin HDMI to Mini Display Port Adaptor

guys how about this?

made by belkin:

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...uct_Id=508267#
bajee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2009, 05:45 AM   #125
IChing
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I found this maybe someone can tell us if it would work?

We've got some good techies here so
I thought I'd throw this in for discussion



Kanex Mini DisplayPort Adapter To HDMI 1080p Video w/ Digital Audio

Price: $69.99
UPC: 094922327727
Sku: MDPHDMITOS






Bring a true digital experience to your home theater with our fully digital Mini DisplayPort adapter that supports 1080p video and digital audio for AppleŽ MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iMac.

With audio limitation from Mini Displayport we've combined AppleŽ Mini Jack digital audio output with Mini DisplayPort digital video output into a single HDMI output solution to bring a true audio video experience with full HD 1080p video and full digital audio 5.1 support. Powered by USB so no external power source is needed.

Features
Design for AppleŽ Unibody 2009 Models. MacBook, MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iMac
Supports Mini DisplayPort 1.1a input, USB 2.0, AppleŽ Mini Jack Optical Audio Input
Input Video Signal: Mini DisplayPort
Input Audio Signal: AppleŽ Mini Jack
Supports HDMI 165MHz/1.65Gbps per channel (4.95 Gbps all channel) bandwidth
Supports HDMI resolution of up to 1080p
Supports HDMI 8 bit per channel (24 bit all channel) deep color
Supports uncompressed 5.1 channel audio such as LPCM
Supports compressed 5.1 channel audio such as DTS Digital, Dolby Digital

http://kanexlive.com/products/item.aspx?id=3495


I'm buying a 27 in January and hope the issue will be resolved by then
IChing is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can I play Xbox 360 (HDMI) on iMac Mid 2011 21.5"? Gozumaki iMac 2 Nov 26, 2013 03:10 AM
OS X: Xbox 360 to iMac 27 inch. RocYourSox Mac and PC Games 7 Apr 20, 2013 07:54 PM
Use xbox 360 on iMac 27"(late 2012 model) BatmanIsABoss iMac 5 Mar 18, 2013 02:27 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC