Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afoessel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
I am aware of Apple Remote control of volume for music (radio, songs, etc). I really like the simplicity of the concept: one remote for key functions.

I'd like to have similar functionality to control volume of movies with the same very simple experience achieved by the apple remote. How can I achieve movie volume control without reaching for the home theater remote or having to add a complex (complex = many buttons) programmable remote? I am looking for:

a. Any known hack on Apple TV to enable movie volume control with apple remote?

b. Any "small and simple" programmable remote that I can use to replace apple remote ("small" = like apple remote; "simple" = very few buttons).

Finally, my apologies if this was resolved in another thread. I searched without success. Please indicate where to look.

Thanks!

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008
I believe for surround audio that the AppleTV cannot do anything with volume; it only passes this signal through. In other words, I don't think it's possible for the AppleTV to control movie volume. (I'm not 100% sure of this. so maybe someone who knows more will chime in.)

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
AppleTV's volume is just line out. The sound volume is controlled at the output. (TV speakers or home theater amp)

Think of it this way, your DVD player doesn't have a volume control does it? Same principle.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
AppleTV's volume is just line out. The sound volume is controlled at the output. (TV speakers or home theater amp)

Think of it this way, your DVD player doesn't have a volume control does it? Same principle.

Agreed, but the AppleTV CAN control the volume when you're playing music using only the Apple Remote. For whatever reason it is not available during video playback.

My best guest is because pressing the up button once gives you the track time, twice gives you the movie/tv show information, ratings, etc. As another tip, by just pressing the down button you can skip ahead at larger intervals on monst videos. (I say most because it seems like it only works for some of my videos... try it out, press down and you can see small vertical lines in the progress bar.

mchalebk

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2008

Actually, the AppleTV can control volume for music. It was added in version 2.3. Here's a quote (from http://db.tidbits.com/article/9875): "Finally, the Apple TV gains a feature that's been missing from day one: you can control volume (in music only) using the Apple remote."

I just don't think it's technically possible for the AppleTV to control volume for movies (at least not if they have a surround soundtrack).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.