Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ebony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
I've been struggling all week trying to share a drive out from a mac and mount it remotely onto a windows 7 machine. Also I haven't been able to see any of my macs in the network in windows explorer on the windows 7 machine.

Eventually I found a solution, which I thought others may find useful.

Goto Start Menu
Search for: Local
Hit Enter
Select Local Security Policy
Goto Local Policies> Security Options
Double Click on Network security: LAN Manager Authentication
Change level to: Send LM # LTLM Responses

Then,

Goto Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP
De-select Require 128-bit encryption
Hit OK

I found this somewhere else on the web so can't take the credit, but it works for me and I can see my whole network, macs, windows and shared folders from either, all on windows 7 now.

brianjer

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for this information. It worked first time.

Mac Pro Quad Intel
Powerbookk G4
PC Windows 7
PS3 instead of Apple TV

ebony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2007
what settings would i have to change in leopard?

To see the windows folders on the mac, as long as the windows 7 machine is on the same network you should just see the windows host name in the shared list in finder.

Any folders you've shared out on the windows side will be listed once you select the host name.

You shouldn't have to change any settings in leopard.

And as long as you've shared out the folders on leopard, you should see them on the windows side. If not make sure you have file sharing turned on in system preferences, sharing, file sharing, and that the relevant folder is listed.

oopl

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2009
I've tried changing the settings, rebooting and have successfully had the Mac show up under network places in WIN7. It fails when trying to connect to it however.

Does anyone have this problem?

Zeitcatcher

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2009
fixed AEBS external drive connection issues.

Thanks to this solution, I've resolved an issue with not being able to connect to Airport Extreme network drive. It used to say that the password was wrong, but after those changes I've been able to connect to it without any problems. Thanks for sharing.

toldaddy

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2009
perfect!

This worked perfectly for my iMac, but my mac pro isn't showing up on windows 7. However both macs can see the PC now. Suggestions?

ro-76

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2008
Hi

I tried this to get a Win7 and Leopard MacBook to share files. I made the changes in the security policy as above, and both are on the same router. I also can share without any problems when I dual boot XP on the PC.

I can now access the mac files on the PC, and the PC shows up in Finder, but when I try to access it, I get "connecting...", but then "connection failed".

Any advice?

Thanks.

Inglo

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2009
There's no group policy editor in 7 Home Premium

Any idea what to do without being able to edit those settings?

I have vuze media server running on my macbook pro and Windows 7 can see that without difficulty.

intrloper9

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
Hi guys,

I'm new to this board. I joined this forum specifically b/c of this thread. I too have been having a lot of trouble networking my Windows 7 computer with my Macbook Pro (which is running OS X 10.5.8... not the newest OS which is Leopard, I believe).

I have HomeGroup set up on the Win7 computer and everything is set to Share On, but that shouldn't matter since HomeGroup is not an option with Mac computers yet.

I also followed all the steps in the initial post of this thread, though I noticed a few of the steps weren't exactly the same as how they were described. For instance:

Select Local Security Policy

I don't have this option in my left nav bar. Closest thing I have is just "Local Policies" and then below it, once i expand the menu, "Security Options".

I assume that's what you meant. So I go into there and then I click "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level".

You have Double Click on Network security: LAN Manager Authentication listed as the step. Again, I assume this is what you meant.

You then have Change level to: Send LM # LTLM Responses listed as your next step.

I don't have anything that lists that. Closest thing I have is "Send LM & NTLM responses"... so I assume you just made a typo on that when writing NTLM as LTLM?

So I selected my first option in the drop-down: "Send LM & NTLM responses".

Last, you have:

Goto Network security: Minimum session security for NTLM SSP

That I have, but I have it listed twice. Once for "clients" and once for "servers". You didn't specify which one I should De-select Require 128-bit encryption for. So I just did it for both. I hope that was right.

After doing all of this, I rebooted both my PC and my MAC, and I still don't see the Win7 shared drives showing up on my Mac Shared Devices Finder. In fact, there's nothing there right now.

So I then delved in further, and made sure my entire 'Dennis' (pictures, documents, videos, etc) folder was shared. I then went into said folder and individually Shared each folder within it. I did this by right clicking each, going to Properties, then to Sharing, then make sure they were Shared. I then went yet another step further and clicked 'Advanced Sharing' and made sure they were Shared there too. (this was probably redundant and unnecessary, since the 'root' folder was already Shared... but I wanted to be thorough).

After doing all of this, and rebooting again... I still don't see the Win7 drive on my Mac.

On the Mac end, everything is set to share in System Preferences. So that, when I go into my Win7 'Network Places', I see my Mac drive... but it's only the shared printer. (and even that gives me an error msg when I click it).

So currently, I'm screwed. Any other options or ideas?

intrloper9

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
Small addition to this:

If I go into 'Network' on my Win7 computer, I see my shared PC folders there. So it appears to be working and sharing on the Windows side. I just can't get my Macbook Pro to recognize it yet.

I also can't get my Win7 computer to recognize anything but my printer on the Macbook Pro end.

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
I have always been able to access my windows shares from my Mac by doing the following:

1. Click GO
2. Select "Connect to Server"
3. Type smb://192.168.2.100/ <---The computers IP address that has the shared folders
4. Hit Connect

The above works without making any of the changes and has worked with XP, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008.

Small addition to this:

If I go into 'Network' on my Win7 computer, I see my shared PC folders there. So it appears to be working and sharing on the Windows side. I just can't get my Macbook Pro to recognize it yet.

I also can't get my Win7 computer to recognize anything but my printer on the Macbook Pro end.

intrloper9

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
I have always been able to access my windows shares from my Mac by doing the following:

1. Click GO
2. Select "Connect to Server"
3. Type smb://192.168.2.100/ <---The computers IP address that has the shared folders
4. Hit Connect

The above works without making any of the changes and has worked with XP, Windows 7, Windows Server 2008.

When I do this, it seems to connect, but then I get prompted to enter in a Name and Password, which is odd since I don't have a password on my file sharing from the Win 7. I think specifically turned that off actually.

So I then switch to 'Guest' and that doesn't work either.

So it seems like I'm close now, but still can't complete the process.

intrloper9

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
Update: I went into the Network Shared Settings on Windows and tweaked it some more. Not everything was set to full share in there.

So now, when I 'Connect to Server' from the Mac at smb://192.168.1.100/ it works. But only as a Guest.

I then get a connection made, and it asks me to mount a drive called 'Users'. But once I do, there's nothing inside it. So I tried to tweak the IP address extension by adding /users/dennis to it. But the same thing happens.

How do I find out from Windows 7 what the exact network path should be so I can connect to my proper user account in the Mac and access all my shared folders?

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
There are a few ways to do this. You can just enter the user name and password that you always use when you use the windows computer. If you use an account that doesn't have a password, you can create a new user account and give it a password. Also make sure you Right Click on the shared folder and make sure you have the User name that your trying to use listed in the Security tab or have EVERYONE listed.

Update: I went into the Network Shared Settings on Windows and tweaked it some more. Not everything was set to full share in there.

So now, when I 'Connect to Server' from the Mac at smb://192.168.1.100/ it works. But only as a Guest.

I then get a connection made, and it asks me to mount a drive called 'Users'. But once I do, there's nothing inside it. So I tried to tweak the IP address extension by adding /users/dennis to it. But the same thing happens.

How do I find out from Windows 7 what the exact network path should be so I can connect to my proper user account in the Mac and access all my shared folders?

intrloper9

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
Thanks. Adding a password to my Windows User account seemed to do the trick. The only annoying thing still, is that I can now see my Shared folders... but I'm seeing all the hidden files too. Not a big deal, but if there's a fix, let me know please.

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
Why don"t you want to see your shared folders ? Isn't that the point ? :)

Anyway if you only want to see a specific folder, just put the exact path. Such as:

smb://192.168.2.100/SharedFolder/

Also if you don't want to have to enter your account password everytime your computer boots, click on RUN and enter Control Userpassword2 and hit enter. Uncheck the box at the top.

Thanks. Adding a password to my Windows User account seemed to do the trick. The only annoying thing still, is that I can now see my Shared folders... but I'm seeing all the hidden files too. Not a big deal, but if there's a fix, let me know please.

intrloper9

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2009
Hi,

No, seeing the Shared Folders is fine. But I'm also seeing all the hidden files within those folders. This is something I've never had to deal with when networking two computers.

Is there a way to not see all the Hidden Files on my PC from my Mac?

Also, I went into Run, and tried about 10 different combinations of typing "Control User Password" but nothing ever came up.

ilkevinli

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
NYC
I see. I dont think there is a way to hide the hidden files. I don't have any hidden files in my shares so I never really looked into it.

You need to type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes.

Hi,

No, seeing the Shared Folders is fine. But I'm also seeing all the hidden files within those folders. This is something I've never had to deal with when networking two computers.

Is there a way to not see all the Hidden Files on my PC from my Mac?

Also, I went into Run, and tried about 10 different combinations of typing "Control User Password" but nothing ever came up.

RobLan87

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
I apologize I hate bringing up these old topics but I have come to a bump in the road. I have successfully gotten my Macbook to see my PC running Windows 7 Professional. My PC can see my Room Mate's PC also running Windows 7 Professional. My PC cannot see my Macbook, in any way. I have followed the steps here and still no longer. I think I may be missing something. Is there a special way I have to connect to my Macbook? Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

RobLan87

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
*Update* I left my computer for a bit came back and suddenly my Macbook was showing up. Wierd, oh well it works now, THANKS!

duanevalencia

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
Not working

Ok... I have run across this "fix" on several websites. I am an intermediate computer user but it never fails that the descriptions posted on these site never match what I see on my computer.

I have an iMac 2.0ghz 20" OsX 10.5.8
Just bought a PC laptop with Win7

I can see the mac (some cryptic MAC09809384) in the Network tab in the left pane. When I click on it, all I see are the shared PRINTERS.

Trying the above security setting adjustments...

Typing LOCAL in the SEARCH menu brings up a dialog called SERVICES which then displays SERVICES(local).

There are no SECURITY POLICIES or LOCAL POLICIES or POLICIES or SECURITY or anything that is close to what is described here.

When setting up the laptop, it asked if I wanted to run a HOMEGROUP or WORKGROUP.... I chose HOMEGROUP (possibly a mistake?)... But in the COMPUTER NAME PANEL, it shows the WORKGROUP button selected and the name of the workgroup is WORKGROUP. Yet in the LEFT PANE of the explorer window it says HOMEGROUP. (jeez, no wonder I'm confused)...

So, anyway.... I just want to access files that are stored on my iMac from the laptop. I have programs that exist in both systems and I need to work on the same files from both.

Any help is appreciated. I just don't want to feel like an idiot anymore!

Duane

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.