Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
NY
anyone install windows XP on the macbook pro with boot camp beta then if you install steam does it work good?

:apple:

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
If you are looking to run just Counter-Strike, or Half-Life, or any thing relating to that made by Valve, then you could simply purchase this uber slick program called Crossover: http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

It allows you to run Windows applications natively on Mac OS X, with out even the need of installing the Windows OS. There are videos on Youtube of people playing CS online, on their Intel Mac, on Mac OS X natively, using Crossover.

It's pretty tight :cool:

UPDATE: Found this video, linked on their home-page, about their product running Team Fortress 2 natively, with very, very good frame-rates. They compare it to the rest of the competition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCd5CQB914w&eurl=http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxmac/

A bit geeky, but gets the point across. No, I'm not in this video :p

Peace

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
NY
thanks i need windows XP for my work anyway so might as well put counter-strike on it

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yes it'll run extremely well on MBP. Even the latest Half Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 runs well on MBP. Assuming you have enough RAM of course.

Ernis*Lovas

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2007
Lithuania
Yes i need to run only counter strike :rolleyes: but the bigest problem i can not find any downloads of counter strike for Mac, even i can't find where to buy it, so meybe u can help me with that? Thank you!!! :D:D:D

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8MMaI5T2b0 then how should i understand this? :p cheap photoshop trick or? :p:p:p meybe its not created special for iMac but i believe its posible someone run it with some other programs in it while changing game files for iMac, i hope u understand :p

Perhaps they ran it using Cross Over, since Team Fortress 2 using HL2 engine works in Cross Over, then it should handle HL1 engine used by Counter Strike.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
So, u trying to say... Its posible? :eek::D:D:D:p:apple:

To run PC games in Mac OS, there are few choices:

- Cider (works only with intel macs, with certain pc games; an engine reads pc game files with almost no modification necessary, example Battlefield 2142, Cider engine can be reused with other games, usually there are some bugs with unofficial cider ports)
- CrossOver (runs windows apps and games without windows, so minimal overhead caused by windoze, even runs TF2 ok on MacBooks)
- Parallels (slower than VMWare, supports some older games)
- VMWare (basic 3d support, support some older games, might be slower than CrossOver in some cases, but probably supports more games than CrossOver)

But if you have intel mac, and really want games, then bootcamp might make sense. If you have to get windows, get XP, preferably corporate version. Do not get Vista.
- Bootcamp (fastest performance if you want to install a crappy OS on a beautiful computer, few compatibility issues, except windows drivers, etc.)

There are also
- Mac Native games (fewer selection than pcs, but generally work at full speed, Counter-Strike is NOT ported and probably never will be)

forrestmc4

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
Washington, DC
I regularly play steam based games such as CS:Source and Half-Life 2 on my macbook with CrossOver. It is a great software solution. Note: You must still pay for a steam account. CrossOver is a Wine-based solution that does not include applications with it. You simply install them yourself using the app.

italiano40

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 7, 2007
NY
on tiger it runs pretty good, but vmware and boot camp works so well on leopard just use one of those

gaffdeck36

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2008
w.e

ummm i tried bootcamp but my computer(pc from before) already came with windows in it but i only have an upgrade windows home xp and it says you need the full version. so crossover wont work for leopard?

Gamoe

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
Let me just say that although it's not Counter Strike, there is a good, free alternative called Urban Terror, and it looks like there a good number of people playing it, too.

RonaldMACDonald

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
Installing CS

This is an informative thread. However I get a little confused. It says that Windows can be installed in Mac using BootCamp so you can RUN many PC-based games, especially Counter Strike. My question is can I completely INSTALL Counter Strike in it?

What I'm trying to say is that once I get the Windows installed in my Mac and then boot in it, can I then install Counter Strike into it just like I do normal Windows? Or is it just playable using only CD?

Has anyone tried it? Have you encountered any problem? Anybody?

BTW: I'm planning to play CS offline, that is with bots. ^_^

SpeedFleX

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Interwebz
This is an informative thread. However I get a little confused. It says that Windows can be installed in Mac using BootCamp so you can RUN many PC-based games, especially Counter Strike. My question is can I completely INSTALL Counter Strike in it?

What I'm trying to say is that once I get the Windows installed in my Mac and then boot in it, can I then install Counter Strike into it just like I do normal Windows? Or is it just playable using only CD?

Has anyone tried it? Have you encountered any problem? Anybody?

BTW: I'm planning to play CS offline, that is with bots. ^_^

If you install Windows wiith boot camp it will dual boot OSX and Windows, and the windows is a normal version with no cut off features, so yes you can install steam and play counterstrike

RonaldMACDonald

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2009
If you install Windows wiith boot camp it will dual boot OSX and Windows, and the windows is a normal version with no cut off features, so yes you can install steam and play counterstrike

I'm not planning to install "steam". I just want to know if I can COMPLETELY INSTALL Counter Strike into Windows XP in my MacBook Pro??? Can I install files in the Windows XP partition and use/play them like in a normal PC???

Thanks for the patience. ^_^

SpeedFleX

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2009
Interwebz
well if you are talking about counterstrike 1.5 then yes, counterstrike 1.6 wont work without steam unless you are talking about other methods which may work but I havent tried it yet and prolly wont.

But windows on a mac is like windows on a pc, there are no differences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.