Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Got #7 spot on the team!

Now it gets much harder, a month and a half at least.

The team is doing great with 230k PPD 
we should maintain our rank at least, but I have a feeling many windows teams have not discovered the bigadv units yet. Rumor is if GPU3 is stable, it might make it to Linux.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Got #7 spot on the team!

we should maintain our rank at least, but I have a feeling many windows teams have not discovered the bigadv units yet. Rumor is if GPU3 is stable, it might make it to Linux.

congrats. i sure hope GPU3 makes it linux. that would really get us some more points

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Originally Posted by SciFrog
Got #7 spot on the team!

The higher you get the lonelier you are :p I'll be there soon enough...

I was thinking bigadv units weren't available on windows, just Mac and linux, maybe I misread that.

congrats. i sure hope GPU3 makes it linux. that would really get us some more points

If gpu3 runs well on linux a lot of people will start getting more points I suspect - like me - I just haven't had time to mess with gpu2 for a while so I hope they get it out soon!!

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
Well it is not supported, same as running GPU on Linux... Only difference is that they are so many doing so that they figured it out...

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
We just had a monster record day, 430k points!

We now average 258k per day, slightly above our current rank.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
^ thanks, it's pretty crazy, sometimes i get as much output a day as i would in a month a year ago!

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
It is almost becoming that unless you do bigadv units, why bother...
The top end iMac now gets as much as 7 times the top previous generation iMac...

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
^yeah almost seems unfair to ppl that want to compete but dont have access to high end hardware. i guess if you look at it from an aggregate standpoint then low point crunchers make a bit of a diff.

the amount of power sucked from the wall per unit would be WAY less i would imagine. from an environmental standpoint it wouldnt make sense

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
^yeah almost seems unfair to ppl that want to compete but dont have access to high end hardware. i guess if you look at it from an aggregate standpoint then low point crunchers make a bit of a diff.

the amount of power sucked from the wall per unit would be WAY less i would imagine. from an environmental standpoint it wouldnt make sense

That's why I dropped the G5 after I saw how little it was doing against the Mac Pro and even the low end amd's, it just wasn't worth it in terms of the electric bill.

And speaking of electric bills... I'm just kind of guessing here but I think folding is costing me about $50 a month :eek:

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
I'm just kind of guessing here but I think folding is costing me about $50 a month :eek:
holy crap dude, thats why i fold at work. since big adv i shut off my 4ghz hackie folder

how many machines do you have running?

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
5 here at home, although the mac pro must use as much power as the four other combined...

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
holy crap dude, thats why i fold at work. since big adv i shut off my 4ghz hackie folder

how many machines do you have running?

8 and I would never be allowed to do any folding at work, even though I work in IT at a large biotech firm...

fobfob

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2008
Folks, I'm trying to run FAH on my i7 iMac. I put in "-bigadv -smp 8 -local " into the 'extra parameters' tab of the Settings app. I've got 8 processes going and it all looks good.

Apart from entering "3446" as the team number, do I need a passkey?

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Folks, I'm trying to run FAH on my i7 iMac. I put in "-bigadv -smp 8 -local " into the 'extra parameters' tab of the Settings app. I've got 8 processes going and it all looks good.

Apart from entering "3446" as the team number, do I need a passkey?

yes, you need a passkey to get the bonus. and you won't get the bonus until you have 10 units with that passkey.

but please let us know how long it takes to do a frame. i would like to know how that machine does

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
yes, you need a passkey to get the bonus. and you won't get the bonus until you have 10 units with that passkey.

but please let us know how long it takes to do a frame. i would like to know how that machine does

That sounds like a great machine that could do better than my new mac pro according to the front page here at MacRumors :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.