Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fox11

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
Hi all- For the past few days, my screen has been going in and out of being entirely covered by 1px white lines that occasionally flicker blue or something. Like, when I'm typing (as I am now) if the window is positioned one pixel off, the blinking cursor won't appear (and on my black screensaver, it looks more like it's white/light grey because literally every other 1px line is white). Well, this morning it got weird again, but it hasn't gone back to normal!

I have a Mid-2007 Santa Rosa Macbook Pro, 2.4 Ghz Core 2 Duo- LED Screen, backlight works fine and if I turn it completely down ('off') the problem persists. I have Boot Camp installed, and the problem persists when booting into Windows as well.

I looked around and tried a few fixes to no avail (slept the screen, reset the PRAM, messed with the resolution a bit).

I took a screenshot and everything shows up normal. I had to finish a paper I was working on, and the screen was getting unbearable, so I tried plugging it into a mate's external lcd and the image came up completely fine, no vertical lines!

So, what could this be, and what could I do to fix it? Could this be the infamous problem with the Nvidia 8600GT M graphics card- so would I have to get the logic board repaired!? (UGH I hope not) Could it just be a connection issue? I did install a new hard drive, a new stick of memory, and Leopard, but that was months ago! Anything else I might be missing? Thanks, and I hope this problem isn't too serious! :(

P.S.-on a side-note, has anybody done the upgrade to the latest firmware for the fans (SMC something)? Should I give that a try (or should I do it anyway, regardless of whether it could help)? When it was released, I heard of some bad experiences, so I stayed away.

sascha h-k

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2004
vienna / austria
call apple, it seems to be a graphiccard problem with nvidia, they will exchange the motherboard for free if it's the "right" model ..

apple extended the warranty for this problem.

Fox11

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
What?!

I was just backing up some files (just in case something happens) and-

the screen JUST went back to normal! What the heck?!

Could this still be explained by a faulty gpu/logic board? What is going on?

Fox11

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2009
:(

Screen is being weird again-

I'm now using the MBP with an external LCD with the MPB LCD disabled until I have time to take it to the Apple Store and get it sorted out...

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Could also be a loose display cable. Would explain why it works sometimes and sometimes does not. I'd just take it into the store. The GPU issue is covered even if you don't have AppleCare.

merovinqian

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
I had the same problem with mid-2007 mbp. Vertical lines as described from time to time, they replaced my logic board.

I changed the ram and hdd moths ago that happened too :) but thats hardly the case.

I think it was only a loosen cable, because if I took the screenshot, the picture of the screen was allright.

gdboijason

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
You have a defective LCD. Call Apple to get it replaced, if you are still under warranty. If not, be prepared to cough up 300+ dollars.

MacConchie

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2011
Solution?

hey Fox11... I've just started having the same issue. What became of yours? Was it the graphics card? Did apple fix it under the extended warranty, free of charge?

JesperDK

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2011
same problem

Hi, I had the same problem.
Suddenly the screen on my macbook pro 2,4 ghz core 2 duo started to flickr. However the flickering stopped and I ended up with with vertical lines and a kind of green colored screen.
Because I need my mac for work, I ( being a bit desperate ) bought a new one. Have been thinking about upgrading for a while... but only later this year.
Anyway... in the process of migrating the files to new mac, the screen on the old macbook suddenly appeared normal again!? very strange.
So about 5-6 days with vertical lines and now its seems to be working again ( but for how long ? ).

Hiyaimcool1

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2013
I had the same issue after I replaced my ram. I thought it was my display at first, but then I figured out that one of my ram chips was out just a LITTLE bit, therefor causing display issues

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.