Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
How hard is it really?

I was thinking about upgrading my 80gb hdd to this hdd (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136345)

does anyone know of a better hdd for the 12inch 1.5ghz computer, and furthermore, this HD should work right?
:eek:

Have you opened up your PB before? I have done this upgrade. And while I didn't find it difficult, I am also very experienced in this. This repair is not for the novice or the faint of heart. It is, however, doable. Head on over to iFixit.com or powerbookmedic.com for instructions.

Yes, this drive should work, as it is PATA standard compliant.

InLikeALion

macrumors 6502a
I agree with Relznuk. I've done it, and for me it wasn't hard. But I'm also patient, even handed, and have opened up and worked on everything from my car to guitars to pc's.

If you recognize that you are impatient or not good at slowly working with tiny parts, then I'd say it would be hard and not worth attempting yourself. Find a friend who has experience and ask/pay them to do it.

i4k20c

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 10, 2005
I agree with Relznuk. I've done it, and for me it wasn't hard. But I'm also patient, even handed, and have opened up and worked on everything from my car to guitars to pc's.

If you recognize that you are impatient or not good at slowly working with tiny parts, then I'd say it would be hard and not worth attempting yourself. Find a friend who has experience and ask/pay them to do it.

Yeah. Truth is I haven't done much with computers, worked with a few desktop pc's

however, I do love to work on cars!

I asked a friend who has replaced a hdd in the old 15inch powerbooks, and he said he would help and do it all, or guide me along the way if i wanted to play around with it..

so i think im going to order it do it that way.

now to find my leopard, and ms office discs and begin the backup process. :(

agbot

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
Silicon Valley
I just installed that exact drive in my 15" Alu PB a couple days ago. I'm comfortable with that sort of thing, but it's really not bad. Just lots of tiny screws. It can be helpful to put each step/group of screws in their own bowl/container to keep track of things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.