Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Altarf09

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
I recently replaced my hard drive on my Powerbook G4. I tried to load the OS with the original model specific grey disk that I got when I bought my notebook. When I get to the part where I have to choose the destination where the OS needs to be installed I don't see my hard drive on the display for me to select. The box is empty.
I opened disk utility to see if it will recognize my hard drive and I do see a 60Gb hard drive on it.

Any idea why this is happening?

Thank you.

Relznuk

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2009
UT, USA
I recently replaced my hard drive on my Powerbook G4. I tried to load the OS with the original model specific grey disk that I got when I bought my notebook. When I get to the part where I have to choose the destination where the OS needs to be installed I don't see my hard drive on the display for me to select. The box is empty.
I opened disk utility to see if it will recognize my hard drive and I do see a 60Gb hard drive on it.

Any idea why this is happening?

Thank you.

You need to initialize the hard drive. In Disk Utility, click on the disk, then click on the "erase" tab that appears, and format the disk as HFS+ Extended (Journaled).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.