Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
I like most Apple stores, but I think this one looks not right. It's nice on the outside, but the inside is just some tables with Apple products laid nicely.

What's throwing you off is the lack of a mass of people milling about. Ultimately that's a design element as well.

casik

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2007
Alberta
hmmm... I would say that above all else apple still values innovation and the "wow" factor over anything else like being green. I'm sure there is a solid green house like effect with being in a all glass building, but I have to say that i'm pretty sure apple has looked into how green the building really is. It is nice to see some architecture tho that doesn't look like a copy or like crap. The high ceilings will be nice for the high volume of people going through the store... I wonder how high the ceilings are on the lower level....

WoFat

macrumors member
May 26, 2008
Green My Butt

I like extravagance, even if it comes at the expense of some bush in the jungle ("Rain Forest" for all you touchy - feely folk out there).

DesignerOnMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2007
For those people who post that Apple Isn't Green!

What have you done as an individual to make your life green? Don't accept plastic bags when you shop? Bring your own cloth bags? Do you recycle your trash? Have fluorescent bulbs through your house? Turn off all lights at night? Shut down your computer when not in use? Traded in your huge SUV for a fuel efficient car? Sold your car and take public transportation or ride your bike to work? Do your laundry during off peak electric hours?

Just a few questions to see what your doing in your life to be greener!

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
My initial reaction was wow, that's stunning. Then I come on here and read all the uninformed experts rattling on about heating bills and green credentials, as if these things had never entered Apple's minds :(

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I'm waiting for the scene where an armored truck crashes through the front of the building and several machine gun weilding robots jump out of the back and shoot all the glass to shards.

CUT-TO

"DROID DOES"

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
1 November 2009

124439-upper_west_side_2_500.jpg

By the way, the street runs north-south, the right side of the store is north - so it gets good sun exposure.

Good one!

So employees will be well tanned. :cool:

Gorgeous store!

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
What have you done as an individual to make your life green? Don't accept plastic bags when you shop? Bring your own cloth bags? Do you recycle your trash? Have fluorescent bulbs through your house? Turn off all lights at night? Shut down your computer when not in use? Traded in your huge SUV for a fuel efficient car? Sold your car and take public transportation or ride your bike to work? Do your laundry during off peak electric hours?

We aren't the ones going around advertising that we're the greenest computer company...

1) I use my backpack instead of plastic bags, which means I walk to the grocery store.

2) I compost and recycle.

3) I refuse to use mercury CFL or fluorescent tubes for that matter. I use simple tungsten bulbs on dimmers. They are as efficient, put out better light, last as long or longer then CFL's and are 100% recyclable or rebuildable.

4) My computer is always shutdown at night and unplugged. MY electronic devices are on a powerstrip that gets shutoff when not in use. Gadgets consume up to 25% of their power while being "off".

5) I don't have an SUV, my car is a whistle clean 20 year old recycled car that gets 30mpg city and 33mpg highway.

6)My bike is my daily driver.

7)I do my laundry late at night and air dry when I can.

8)I do all these things, not because I give a rats ass about the environment, but because I care about the health and well being of others. Saving money means I can donate more time and money toward helping others. Not polluting waterways with harmful chemicals in CFLs means I am doing less to hurt others. Going "green" and being holier-then-thou is pointless if you are not going to realize that their are REAL moral and civic responsibilities outside of animals.

When Apple wants to comply and make their entire way of life green, then I will listen to them when they complain about the US Chamber of Commerce and tout doing everything they can.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Guys, you don't get the idea behind the design, yes it's big, yes it's tall, but it is an homage to the Proscenium Stage.

It's a nod to the neighborhood.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proscenium

Excellent point. Also consider this in context of the location:

At night the store is a beacon visible for several blocks, especially for those approaching by car or on foot from the south. The glow of the ceiling lights, the backlit logo and the back-lit wall graphics are brighter than anything on Broadway. As you approach closer, the towering height of the storefront becomes apparent.

It's meant to create drama from the outside, not just up close, but also from a distance, and as one approaches. I'm hoping someone posts a video that shows this. I don't think a static photo could capture the impact.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom

OK since you asked, but admittedly for someone living in the EU this is ridiculously easy:
Don't accept plastic bags when you shop?
Check.

Bring your own cloth bags?
Check.

Do you recycle your trash?
Check.

Have fluorescent bulbs through your house?
We use energy saving bulbs.

Turn off all lights at night?
What a strange question. Of course I do. Why would I keep my lights on while I'm asleep? And we only light a room in use.

Shut down your computer when not in use?
Check.

Traded in your huge SUV for a fuel efficient car?
Never owned a huge SUV — yes, for an American that must be a difficult one to get to grips with…

Sold your car and take public transportation or ride your bike to work?
Check. I cycle to the train station *gasp* or I even walk! You know the thing you do with your feet…

Do your laundry during off peak electric hours?
Check.

Now that I've answered you, what's your score?
If I may ask… How much of your own food do you grow? And I don't mean the stuff that grows around the rims of your discarded polystyrene tubs…

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I can tell you, by looking at this building, without knowing any of the actual HVAC systems involved, as an architect; this is a tremendous challenge. Seeing as how their are NO physical systems employed to deal with heat loss and heat gain, besides heavy structural glass likely made in China, I can tell you this is a very, very inefficient building.

Have you considered the fact that the products themselves are enormous generators of heat, and that Apple Stores in general have a serious cooling problem? By allowing the heat to move upward from the ceiling and away from customers, perhaps it is easier for Apple to create a quiet, comfortable environment at the customer level. Just a thought.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota

This.

I hate (absolutely HATE) when people hop in here with the "Screw [insert company/person here] for not being green" attitude when there is a great chance they are not being 'green' themselves. At least Apple has taken steps to being green, would you rather they just say screw it and start being as wasteful as possible?

The elitist attitude some people have here is amazing, I swear some people here are just looking for things to complain about. Oh well.

Anyone here want to guess how much electricity is used by all the servers you hit while browsing the web that run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year?

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Totally ungreen and a waste of space. They could add 2 more useful floors inside it, and still keep the huge open front facade for effect. 2 thumbs down for efficiency, 1 up for effect. :(

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Anyone here want to guess how much electricity is used by all the servers you hit while browsing the web that run 24 hours a day, 365 days a year?

I was with ya, until that last comment. I save a huge amount of travel cost by doing as much online as possible. Whatever the servers cost, it's a heck of a lot greener than actually being there in person.

BTW, the energy footprint of servers is going down rapidly-- this is seen as a huge area of cost savings in IT. Money talks.

Van man Jerry

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2009
Actually, that hits home exactly the key point of the issue. A professional can tell you this is inefficient. If they general public looks at this project and doesn't get the sense this is eco-friendly IF it is eco-friendly, then it has failed. I know this building is inefficient, the public doesn't "know" but if they think it isn't, Apple has dropped the ball on their green message.

Who is the design firm? As a LEED AP, 70% ARE, I would like to see the envelope numbers. I guess well find out when it's published. The center city phila. Store has a better chance. Existing building. Same firm???

As a Eco friendly company, I believe goes beyond most. I guess if they truly believed they were Eco friendly, they would make the I phone from cardboard.

z4n3

Jun 2, 2008
This.

I hate (absolutely HATE) when people hop in here with the "Screw [insert company/person here] for not being green" attitude when there is a great chance they are not being 'green' themselves. At least Apple has taken steps to being green, would you rather they just say screw it and start being as wasteful as possible?

The elitist attitude some people have here is amazing, I swear some people here are just looking for things to complain about. Oh well.

Could not have put it better myself....THANK YOU uberamd :D

GQB

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Totally ungreen and a waste of space. They could add 2 more useful floors inside it, and still keep the huge open front facade for effect. 2 thumbs down for efficiency, 1 up for effect. :(

I don't think that you're justified in proclaiming that this building is 'not green' based on a few photos. You haven't examined the engineering details so you no now of what you speak.
The building could easily be quite efficient using the south-facing glass for heat in winter and good ventilation and air flow for expulsion of hot air in summer.
I don't know and neither do you.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I was with ya, until that last comment. I save a huge amount of travel cost by doing as much online as possible. Whatever the servers cost, it's a heck of a lot greener than actually being there in person.

BTW, the energy footprint of servers is going down rapidly-- this is seen as a huge area of cost savings in IT. Money talks.

No doubt that doing online banking and what not saves money, I am completely with you. But web browsing, online gaming, etc is what I was talking about.

I work at a University and I run the servers in one of the colleges server rooms. It is always cold in there (air conditioned to 68 F), and we have many large servers going year round non stop. That uses quite a bit of electricity, and our building is LEED certified (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design). The larger university server rooms have many more servers and very large generators going year round. This stuff eats energy, and this is just one one university campus.

fifthworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008

Unfortunately, to myself and to many people here, this is exactly what appear Apple is saying with this store: "Screw it and start being as wasteful as possible!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.