Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luthrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Dear All,

I am a proud owner of an Apple Macbook Pro 15 inch since Feb 2009. I am a converted user from PC to MAC and preach the benefits of Apple OS X et al to colleagues, friends and family.

This morning I noticed some slight peeling on the bottom right side (near trackpad) of my Macbook Pro. At first I did not realise what it was, I thought it might be some surface marking / dust. I wiped the area with a dry cloth at which point a small part of the surface came away.

Here is a link showing images that I have just taken. Need some constructive advice from the forum on what to do!?!:confused:

UnibodyMacbookProSurfacePeeling

phixiuz

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2009
Too much acid on your hands or something?

Definately not normal, first time I see this aswell, never thought this could happen with normal usage...

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
I would bet big money they won't do anything about that. They will claim you damaged it somehow. Can't hurt to go ask but don't get your hopes up I would guess.

luthrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
phixiuz - No Acid or other chemicals used

harperjones99 - I suspect you are right as I am already having major issues with my Apple Cinema Display 24 inch (march 2009). Dark patches on screen. They have replaced the panel now I am getting a light brown vignette on the right handside of the screen. Apple store saying there is nothing they can do, as this is common across all ACD.!

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
phixiuz - No Acid or other chemicals used

harperjones99 - I suspect you are right as I am already having major issues with my Apple Cinema Display 24 inch (march 2009). Dark patches on screen. They have replaced the panel now I am getting a light brown vignette on the right handside of the screen. Apple store saying there is nothing they can do, as this is common across all ACD.!

Yep...I am a new Mac convert and while I love the OS I find the hardware working quality (fit and finish is beautiful but I mean the guts) and service as dreadful as any company which has me angry I spent so much getting into this. I do not see myself buying Apple again after my experiences unless something drastically changes with quality/service. For the prices they charge there should be a clear increase is QC. Sorry about the ACD that sucks...if you have the time and willpower stick it to em.

dan5.5

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2008
You can get a moshi palmguard. It will help protect your laptop from further damage, and cover the peeling

luthrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
harperjones99 - thanks you highlight the constraints that I have time and will. I feel the same that if an individual spends in excess of £1500 on a laptop then quality should be 100%. I am meticulous with my possessions and am struggling with such quality issues.

If anybody has suggestions on what to do please let me know. If there are any serious comments about fixes please share.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
You can get a moshi palmguard. It will help protect your laptop from further damage, and cover the peeling

I had a pack of old PDA screen protectors that I made my own out of...one fit the track pad perfectly and I put one on each side of it with about 10mm wrapped over the front edge and it works great. I could cut up the rest and give it full coverage but this works for where my hands are 99% of the time.

Luthrar it's clearly most likely a defect in the coating but like you know they will always try to blame the user first unless you get the right guy in the right mood. I hope you get results. I would definitely take it in and give it a shot.

I know this is a less than ideal solution but if in the end Apple doesn't help at all I would do this:

1. Sand down the area to smooth the edges of the peeling area into the undamaged area
2. Get some silver paint to match as close as possible and paint this area (maybe model paints would be an easy way to get a small amount of a metallic silver?) If it looks bad you can always sand it back off easily and it's not like you did any damage to the case.
3. Put some type of palm guard over it like the Moshi or my home made example when dry and call it a day.

luthrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions. This maybe a stretching request but It would really help. Do you have images of your solutions?? Again sorry to ask for the extra effort.

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods
There may be an issue with the anodizing process here. These are not painted, but treated with an anodized coating, which is supposed to hold up to normal wear and tear for the useful life of the machine. I have never seen a newer Unibody MB or MBP with "peeling" finish.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Thanks guys, I appreciate the suggestions. This maybe a stretching request but It would really help. Do you have images of your solutions?? Again sorry to ask for the extra effort.

Mine is pretty low rent..I used 3 of the self adhesive PDA LCD screen protectors from an old pack in the drawer(one on track pad and one on either side of it wrapped over the front edge about 10mm or so. It made the trackpad a bit sticker than the lovely smooth glass but it smoothed up with use and I don't notice that it changes pad sensitivity at all. Don't remember what they cost:

p1010941.jpg

USB drive for scale:

p1010942g.jpg

luthrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Harperjones99 - Thanks again - Nice suggestions however painting is something I will avoid (ref Mobi comments).

Mobi - I am now more inclined to believe that the anodizing of my macbook pro may not be up to (the) mark / scratch (pardon the pun)

I do wonder if anyone else has had this issue.

luthrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Mine is pretty low rent..I used 3 of the self adhesive PDA LCD screen protectors from an old pack in the drawer(one on track pad and one on either side of it wrapped over the front edge about 10mm or so. It made the trackpad a bit sticker than the lovely smooth glass but it smoothed up with use and I don't notice that it changes pad sensitivity at all. Don't remember what they cost:

p1010941.jpg

USB drive for scale:

p1010942g.jpg

Great thanks for the images. That was quick!
This might be what I end up having to do if Apple don't respond favourably.
Anyone know of receptive Apple staff in Manchester, UK????

luthrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I am afraid you are screwed. I have never met ANYONE from Manchester I liked ;)

Perhaps this is why I am suffering. Perhaps Apple share the same view and opinion. "Lets send some CR£$ to those guys in Manchester, UK":p

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
Apple probably won't do anything about it, but I don't know if it's because of "self damage"
they just don't cover cosmetic issues, and that seems pretty cosmetic. I don't see how that can really effect performance of the laptop at all.

luthrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Pardon me for being picky, but I do believe the properties of the unibody ( Aluminium anodized - made from one block . . . ) are not just cosmetic. My macbook pro is well looked after and cleaned with Iclear for the screen and a slightly damp cloth daily. I am meticulous and also I never let anyone else use the machine. I just do not expect this sort of issue. Granted If I had dropped the machine or accidentally scratched it then fair dos. This is "Surface Peeling"!!!!!! :rolleyes:

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Pardon me for being picky, but I do believe the properties of the unibody ( Aluminium anodized - made from one block . . . ) are not just cosmetic. My macbook pro is well looked after and cleaned with Iclear for the screen and a slightly damp cloth daily. I am meticulous and also I never let anyone else use the machine. I just do not expect this sort of issue. Granted If I had dropped the machine or accidentally scratched it then fair dos. This is "Surface Peeling"!!!!!! :rolleyes:

I agree cosmetic or not it's not what one can reasonably expect from the product. There is a standard and it's not picky or unreasonable to be upset at this. A rusty car is just cosmetic and doesn't affect its running but nobody would stand for that on a new car either if it occurred due to poor finishing.

luthrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I agree cosmetic or not it's not what one can reasonably expect from the product. There is a standard and it's not picky or unreasonable to be upset at this. A rusty car is just cosmetic and doesn't affect its running but nobody would stand for that on a new car either if it occurred due to poor finishing.

The Analogy is fitting and correct. Surely apple should honor some level and standard of quality across their product range.

Carressa

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
Wow, I've never seen anything like that before. and if you bought it this year I would still take it in and have them look at it ...that shouldn't happen. They may not help you but I would try all the same. I always worry about scratching on my MBP too. I really like harperjones99's solution. I usually just take those free apple stickers they give me and toss them down where my hands usually sit just in case. I hope they fix it for you:(

luthrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Wow, I've never seen anything like that before. and if you bought it this year I would still take it in and have them look at it ...that shouldn't happen. They may not help you but I would try all the same. I always worry about scratching on my MBP too. I really like harperjones99's solution. I usually just take those free apple stickers they give me and toss them down where my hands usually sit just in case. I hope they fix it for you:(

Thanks Carressa. Harperjones99 does seem to be on the ball with good suggestions and comments. Carressa what on earth do you do for a living to afford all that great kit????

Without being ill willed or negative I do hope that others have had the same issue. It is so strange that this has happened and clear that it is not due to scratching or a drop etc.

Carressa

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
Thanks Carressa. Harperjones99 does seem to be on the ball with good suggestions and comments. Carressa what on earth do you do for a living to afford all that great kit????

My Husband and I work too much:D and have no kids. I also happen to be the kinda female that prefers Electronic Gadgets over pretty much everything else:)

luthrar

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Well guys and gals thank you very much for the comments, suggestions and feedback. I will not be able to do much now unitl 10th December when I return from travels. I will post an update then and let you know what Apple thinks, says, does or does not do. For those of you in the States have a great Thanks giving.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.