Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
My wall charger works fine with my older Nano. However, it won't charge my new 3rd gen iPod Touch.

Does anyone know why this occurs?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Probably is one of the older chargers that use firewall to charge your ipod. Newer ipods no longer support firewall. Buy a new charger. There are firewalls to usb adapters, but they probably cost as much as a new charger. Or use the adapter that came with your touch, that should charge both your nano and touch.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Probably is one of the older chargers that use firewall to charge your ipod. Newer ipods no longer support firewall. Buy a new charger. There are firewalls to usb adapters, but they probably cost as much as a new charger. Or use the adapter that came with your touch, that should charge both your nano and touch.
Firewire? :rolleyes:

Kimba

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
Ventura County, California
I got a charger not supported message when I first tried the Griffin charger I bought a couple years ago for my 5G (Video) iPod. However, I tried unplugging the charger's dock cable and replacing it with the dock connector that came with my iPod Touch and the charger worked fine.

whome1550

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2009
well, let's hope this one will be fixed. but the good thing also about this is that the genuine one only works also for the genuine products.
coz sometimes, the generic ones may possibly inflict damage to those genuines

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I'm guessing that a "firewire" charger has a firewire output that requires a USB adapter.

My charger in this case is a USB charger. I'm not completely averse to buying a new one if I have to. It's just that I know this charger is not broken. Clearly they have changed something in the new ipod touch or I'm not understanding something?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'm guessing that a "firewire" charger has a firewire output that requires a USB adapter.

My charger in this case is a USB charger. I'm not completely averse to buying a new one if I have to. It's just that I know this charger is not broken. Clearly they have changed something in the new ipod touch or I'm not understanding something?

Are you sure it's USB? The firewire wall chargers look exactly like an USB wall charger. If it charges your nano but doesn't charge your touch, it has to be a firewire charger -- as far as I know, that's the only difference between the older and newer ipods as far as charging behavior is concerned.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It only has a USB connector, no firewire. What I am plugging directly into it is the USB cable that came with my 3rd gen iPod Touch 3 weeks ago. Therefore, it's not a firewire charger.

I guess this is an unsolved mystery and I'll have to go out and buy a new charger.

agargar

macrumors member
May 14, 2008
It is a known issue that the ipods won´t charge with all chargers.
It is true that new generations do not charge with firewire.
But even with USB it is not so easy.
USB uses 4 conductors: ground, power and two data.
Most USB devices just ignore the data connectors when charging and so do the chargers.
The ipod doesn't. First it tries to establish a connection with a kind of Handshake.
If it gets an answer, it charges.
If not, it checks the voltage on the data pins. If it sees about 2.1 V and 2.4 V in those pins it will charge, otherwise won't.
At least this was like this with the Ipod touch 1.G and nanos 2G. I suppose it is the same with the newest ones.
Some chargers put this voltages on the data pins, some others don't.
If you have fun doing things by yourself (instead of spending 10$ for another charger) you could try this workaround:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5460557/

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
It is a known issue that the ipods won´t charge with all chargers.
It is true that new generations do not charge with firewire.
But even with USB it is not so easy.
USB uses 4 conductors: ground, power and two data.
Most USB devices just ignore the data connectors when charging and so do the chargers.
The ipod doesn't. First it tries to establish a connection with a kind of Handshake.
If it gets an answer, it charges.
If not, it checks the voltage on the data pins. If it sees about 2.1 V and 2.4 V in those pins it will charge, otherwise won't.
At least this was like this with the Ipod touch 1.G and nanos 2G. I suppose it is the same with the newest ones.
Some chargers put this voltages on the data pins, some others don't.
If you have fun doing things by yourself (instead of spending 10$ for another charger) you could try this workaround:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/5460557/

Thank you! That was a most informative post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.