Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ukhousemafia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Hello, when i start my imac it shows the apple logo, then the circle starts spinning and after a couple minutes it just shuts off. Please help

BTW i have windows on it as well so when i hold option it lets me open windows but not os

dandaman2

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
with the disk or did you try it w/o disk?
I might go ahead an try an archive-install. sorry 'bout your imac, that is a terrible position to be it; I'm quite the tinkerer and have been in that position plenty. I've even started keeping my reinstall disks in my laptop bag!

dandaman2

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Why yes, exactly that disk. Hold down C during start up; this will force the mac to boot to the disk. If it's successful I think you'll want to do a reinstall.

Since it's a bit to late to backup, you're going to want to go to "advanced" on the screen where you select your disk, and select "Archive and Install."

There are those who would say to be sure you uncheck "Keep settings and applications" (likely not the exact phrasing as this is all from memory :)). I usually do because chances are, the root of my issues is in the systems folder and not in my account's library folder.

Click continue and finish the reinstall, then restart.

If you follow these steps and the computer does not start up after reinstall or doesn't start up from the disk, let us know and we at MacForums will be happy to help.

ukhousemafia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 12, 2009
Ok so I used my MAcBook install disc and it said I can't use it and I can't find my iMac disc, can I still do a reinstall without a disc ?

dandaman2

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
No, you can't. You need your iMac disks. If you've done a 10.x upgrade at somepoint (i. e. Leopard to Snow Leopard) you may use that disk as well.

Mike Macintosh

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
Washington State
Ok so I used my MAcBook install disc and it said I can't use it and I can't find my iMac disc, can I still do a reinstall without a disc ?
Nope, you need to have your iMac install disc or have a upgrade disc like Leopard or Snow Leopard, I say buy one of those from Apple and then try your situation again, but without these discs your pretty much screwed.

Fifia

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2012
Mine does the same and I tried everything without the disk(which failed) and I lost this disk in my messy office. If there is a way to fix this without the disk, I'd be very happy. If not, I will continue my search. And also, mine is an iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.