Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
I guess this proves the workflow is working, but still stuck on why it doesn't fire up automatically as a Folder Action :confused:

Hi Paul,

I'm glad to hear you're making progress. Let's take a look and see if we can get your folder actions working. Please follow the steps listed below.

Also, as I was writing this, I realized that the Home directory you have listed in the Batch Rip Terminal output has your username as "Paul". The capitalization of the username in your home directory tells me that you may have changed the name of your user account or Home Folder at some point. This may lead to a lot of issues with permissions and links to your home directory, which may be causing some issues. If the steps outlined below still do not work. Try creating a new user account and try the workflow on the new user account.

TEST ONE:
  1. Navigate to /Users/Paul/Library/LaunchAgents/
  2. Select the following files and move them to the trash:
    • com.apple.FolderActions.enabled.plist
    • com.apple.FolderActions.folders.plist
  3. Create a new folder on your desktop named "test folder"
  4. Right-click on the "test folder" and Choose: Services > Folder Actions Setup…
  5. The Folder Action Setup Utility should launch and present the "Choose a Script to Attach:" pane
  6. Select the item named "add - new item alert.scpt", and Click > Attach
  7. Next, toggle the "Enable Folder Actions" check-box at the top of the window off and on. Uncheck to disable it, then Re-check the check-box to enable it.
  8. Close the Folder Action Setup Utility window.
  9. Now let's test your action. Drag any item into the "test folder" on your Desktop.
  10. A dialog box should open indicating whether a new item was added.
  11. If successful, congratulations you have a working folder action.

TEST TWO:
Next we're going to test the folder action on your /Volumes directory.
  1. Open a new Finder window.
  2. In the Main Menu, Select > Go > Go to Folder… (CMD+SHIFT+G).
  3. A drop-down window will appear in the Finder.
  4. In the "Go to the folder" text field, type: /Volumes
  5. Choose > Go
  6. Select the Volumes folder and attach the "add new item alert.scpt" as we did in the previous test by Right-clicking on the "Volumes" folder and Choosing: Services > Folder Actions Setup…
  7. In the "Choose a Script to Attach:" pane, Select the item named "add - new item alert.scpt", and Click > Attach
  8. Now let's test your action. Insert a DVD or mount a network drive
  9. A dialog box should open indicating whether the new item was added.
  10. If successful, congratulations we're almost there.

TEST THREE:
Next we're going to test the Batch Rip folder action on your /Volumes directory.
  1. Open a new Finder window.
  2. In the Main Menu, Select > Go > Go to Folder… (CMD+SHIFT+G).
  3. A drop-down window will appear in the Finder.
  4. In the "Go to the folder" text field, type: /Volumes
  5. Choose > Go
  6. Select the Volumes folder and attach the "Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Folder Action).workflow" as we did in the previous test by Right-clicking on the "Volumes" folder and Choosing: Services > Folder Actions Setup…
  7. In the "Choose a Script to Attach:" pane, Select the item named "Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Folder Action).workflow", and Click > Attach
  8. If the workflow is not in the list, you need to be sure it is installed in: /Users/Paul/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions/Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Folder Action).workflow
  9. Next we're going to turn off the "add new item alert.scpt" added from the previous test.
  10. In Folder Actions Setup, Select the Volumes folder on the left side panel.
  11. Select the item "add new item alert.scpt" and un-check the check-box to deactivate it. The "Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Folder Action).workflow" should remain checked/active.
  12. Now let's test your action. Insert a DVD and pray.
  13. If successful, congratulations you should be good to go.
  14. If not, try reactivating the "add new item alert.scpt" and turning off the "Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Folder Action).workflow"

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks, mac.jedi

PaulCaden

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2006
Also, as I was writing this, I realized that the Home directory you have listed in the Batch Rip Terminal output has your username as "Paul". The capitalization of the username in your home directory tells me that you may have changed the name of your user account or Home Folder at some point.

I have never changed the user account name or home folder. The reason why it is capitalised is when I did the clean installation of SL, I replaced the offered lower case 'paul' with 'Paul' as the main account name. I always do this.

TEST ONE:
Success!

TEST TWO:
Success!

TEST THREE:
Success

Looks like all is working as intended :D Many thanks for not giving up on this one and for all the help...

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
I have never changed the user account name or home folder. The reason why it is capitalised is when I did the clean installation of SL, I replaced the offered lower case 'paul' with 'Paul' as the main account name. I always do this.

Success!

Success!

Success

Looks like all is working as intended :D Many thanks for not giving up on this one and for all the help...

Great news Paul! I'm happy to help. I'm sure this process will help others as well! Thanks for sticking with it!

mac.jedi

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
mac.jedi,

Fabulous work and tutorial.

Is there any way to easily modify the automator workflow to convert AVI/MKV to MP4/M4V?

I'd like to be able to right-click on an AVI or folder of AVIs, select the Batch Encode service, chose one of several presets (Apple TV, iPhone, iPod, Custom), and let it run. The end result would be a folder of encoded and properly tagged MP4s.

Can this be done?

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
That's strange. You should have already had read/write access since you're logged in with that account. Did you ever change your user/login name on this account? Sometimes that will cause some of your permissions to get screwed up. If anyone else is reading this: don't ever do that, create a new account.

So you got it working okay?

So I'm running into this now to (w/v1.03 on SL 10.6.2). Going through your tutorial, I'm stuck on the step 10 "(Choose Save As > Save folder action as: Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Folder Action), replacing the existing file. Note: Folder Actions are saved in ~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions.)" of the Creating your Batch Rip Folder Action section. I get the "You don't have permission" error.

I changed the permissions to the Automator folder and enclosed items, per the suggestion of the post above the one you replied...no go.

I don't recall changing the user login name on this account and I just verified it's the same one I've used forever and on other machines. I do have another user in there with admin rights though, which I use for XBMC stuff for my AppleTV. Could that be a problem?

Thoughts? Ideas?

Sidenote: I did have my first install attempt fail. I had a terminal window open, so I quit that, and tried again successfully. Weird.

UPDATE: Since nothing was happening using the default action when I stuck a disc in the drive, I did the following, and now all is golden (and I can save my Automator file).
1) Open the Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Folder Action) in Automator per the tutorial.
2) Go to the ~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions folder and move the Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Folder Action) file off to the Desktop (for safe keeping)
3) Back to Automator and make any changes you'd like and save the file as Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Folder Action) to the ~/Library/Workflows/Applications/Folder Actions folder
4) Plug in disc and hopefully you will get the pop-up window after the disc mounts

Seems to me something weird going on with permissions on the Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Folder Action) file but I couldn't figure it out. YMMV on the steps above but they worked for me.

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I'm a little confused on the TV Show encoding part. The Batch Rip but a folder called SURVIVOR1 in the Batch Rip TV folder. Per the instructions I renamed this folder to SURVIVOR - S1D1 and ran the Finder Menu - Services - Batch Rip • Batch Encode service.

The script found 5 tracks, and Handbrake started, but it only processed one of the tracks (SURVIVOR - S1D1-5.m4v). Am I supposed to be naming the VOB's in the ripped folder (which appear to have 6 1gb files)? How are others doing this? Thx

Code:
Last login: Sun Nov 22 13:35:21 on ttys000
/Users/chrispy/Library/Automator/Batch\ Encode.action/Contents/Resources/batchEncode.sh ; exit;
minirawk:~ chrispy$ /Users/chrispy/Library/Automator/Batch\ Encode.action/Contents/Resources/batchEncode.sh ; exit;

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
batchEncode.sh v1.0.1

Start: Sun Nov 22 13:49:21 MST 2009
  Input directory 1: /Users/chrispy/Movies/Batch Rip Movies
  Input directory 2: /Users/chrispy/Movies/Batch Rip TV
  Output directory: /Users/chrispy/Movies/Batch Encode
  Use optical Drive: No
  Encode HD Sources: No
  Auto-add movie tags: No
  Retire Existing File: No
  Growl me when complete: No
  Use tsMuxer: No
  Encode TV Shows between: 20-120 mins
  Encode Movies between: 80-180 mins
  Preferred Audio Language: English
  Will Encode: SD/DVD, SD

WILL PROCESS THE FOLLOWING VIDEOS:
  SURVIVOR - S1D1

PROCESSING: SURVIVOR - S1D1 

*Scanning Folder: 'SURVIVOR - S1D1'
  Will encode the following tracks: 5 

*Creating SURVIVOR - S1D1-5.m4v
Using AC3/DVD-toolArgs: -e x264  -q 20.0 -a 1,1 -E ca_aac,ac3 -B 160,160 -6 dpl2,auto -R 48,Auto -D 0.0,0.0 -f mp4 -4 -X 720 --loose-anamorphic --decomb --detelecine -m -x cabac=0:ref=2:mixed-refs=1:me=umh

Muxing: this may take awhile...(28.64 fps, avg 17.61 fps, ETA 00h00m00s)

*Adding Meta Tags to SURVIVOR - S1D1-5.m4v

PROCESSING COMPLETE: SURVIVOR - S1D1
  End: Sun Nov 22 14:25:26 MST 2009
logout

[Process completed]

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Hi mac.jedi,

On the whole I have got this working pretty well now with your 1.0.3 release but am having trouble tagging the following movies:

The Thomas Crown Affair (1999).m4v
Alien³ (1992).m4v (note this is Alien 3 with the 3 superscript)
The Bourne Ultimatum (2007).m4v
Shooter (2007).m4v
Three (2005).m4v
K-19 - The Widowmaker (2002).m4v

Note that I have processed 60 other movies with no issues so I think the above files may be with an issue with TMDB or in the case of the Alien 3 movie caused by special characters in the movie name.

Note that I didn't have any issues with the "Rename Movie Items" step and the above filenames are what was passed back from it.

I tried to figure out what was going wrong with these by following the main.command in the "Add Movie Tags" action but I can't seem to nail it down. I'd appreciate it if you could take a look.

With the exception of the Alien movie the others all successfully attach the poster image but the iTunes tags are missing. The movie file appears to be processed by Atomic Parsley as I get a temp file created so I think something must be going wrong in Atomic Parsley or else the parameters being sent to it might be bad.

Many thanks,
Craig.

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
Thanks for the guide. I gave it a go today on two normal DVDs and just checked the box HD (SD). Everything got converted and tagged correctly. The only problem I have is I can't add these two movies to my 2nd gen touch. Isn't it supposed to use the universal setting on Handbrake?

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Code:
 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PROCESSING: SURVIVOR - S1D1 

*Scanning Folder: 'SURVIVOR - S1D1'
  Will encode the following tracks: 5 

*Adding Meta Tags to SURVIVOR - S1D1-5.m4v

Hi TuckBodi,

I'm on va-ca, so might take me a while to get back to you again.

It looks like the action is seeing the source as a movie rather than a TV Show. The tell tale sign is that it is trying to add the iTunes tags. First make sure the source folder is located in the Batch Rip TV folder, next try using the Add TV Show comment service on the source folder.

I hope this helps, thanks, mac.jedi

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
Hi TuckBodi,

I'm on va-ca, so might take me a while to get back to you again.

It looks like the action is seeing the source as a movie rather than a TV Show. The tell tale sign is that it is trying to add the iTunes tags. First make sure the source folder is located in the Batch Rip TV folder, next try using the Add TV Show comment service on the source folder.

I hope this helps, thanks, mac.jedi

Thanks for replying mac.jedi and while on vacation no less! Couple of things:
- I had set the Batch Encode to default as a TV Show so didn't think I had to set the Spotlight Comment. But even after setting the comment it still did the same thing.
- BUT, after looking at my disc a little closer I realized I had thrown in the Season 1 - Special Feature "The Greatest and Most Outrageous Moments" which is a single show/documentary disc.
- To get it to encode I had to tell it it was a movie and then it seemed to encode okay (although it took over 5 hrs and the size of the 2hr 15min movie is nearly 4gb, which seems pretty high). Guess I could have adjusted the TV min/max settings to see if that helped on the TV side, but I'm happy with what I have.

Thanks for your help!

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
I had set the Batch Encode to default as a TV Show so didn't think I had to set the Spotlight Comment. But even after setting the comment it still did the same thing.
I'll test the default video kind on my end to make sure it's still working properly. Note, that the default only works when the action is set to run automatically … no dialogs asking for video kind.

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Hi mac.jedi,

On the whole I have got this working pretty well now with your 1.0.3 release but am having trouble tagging the following movies:

The Thomas Crown Affair (1999).m4v
Alien³ (1992).m4v (note this is Alien 3 with the 3 superscript)
The Bourne Ultimatum (2007).m4v
Shooter (2007).m4v
Three (2005).m4v
K-19 - The Widowmaker (2002).m4v

Note that I have processed 60 other movies with no issues so I think the above files may be with an issue with TMDB or in the case of the Alien 3 movie caused by special characters in the movie name.

Note that I didn't have any issues with the "Rename Movie Items" step and the above filenames are what was passed back from it.

I tried to figure out what was going wrong with these by following the main.command in the "Add Movie Tags" action but I can't seem to nail it down. I'd appreciate it if you could take a look.

With the exception of the Alien movie the others all successfully attach the poster image but the iTunes tags are missing. The movie file appears to be processed by Atomic Parsley as I get a temp file created so I think something must be going wrong in Atomic Parsley or else the parameters being sent to it might be bad.

Many thanks,
Craig.

Hi Craig,

I tested the titles you listed and there were some issues with the data being returned from themoviedb.org … spaces at the end of the titles and special characters in cast/crew names. Since the database content is user submitted, these kind of errors can happen. I've written a subroutine which should take care of these issues. It'll be included in the next release. If you want, I'll send you a link to a beta of the new version that you can test, if you'd like … just let me know.

I was successful with all titles, except for "Three" which appears to have no data: http://www.themoviedb.org/movie/13367

If you wanna give a little back, you can spend a little time updating themoviedb.org for that movie. Note that may take a day or so for the db cache to update with the new data.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, mac.jedi

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Thanks for the guide. I gave it a go today on two normal DVDs and just checked the box HD (SD). Everything got converted and tagged correctly. The only problem I have is I can't add these two movies to my 2nd gen touch. Isn't it supposed to use the universal setting on Handbrake?

Hi MCRunning,

Thanks for posting! The default is a slightly modified version of HB's universal setting (ca_aac instead of faac). Which version of HandBrakeCLI are you using? Also, which DVD's are you trying to copy?

Note that the HD (SD) setting only works on HD sources. It should have no effect for DVD sources. The DVD setting is on by default.

Thanks, mac.jedi

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
mac.jedi,

Fabulous work and tutorial.

Is there any way to easily modify the automator workflow to convert AVI/MKV to MP4/M4V?

I'd like to be able to right-click on an AVI or folder of AVIs, select the Batch Encode service, chose one of several presets (Apple TV, iPhone, iPod, Custom), and let it run. The end result would be a folder of encoded and properly tagged MP4s.

Can this be done?

Hi Idgit,

Thanks for posting! I'm sorry, but I don't believe HandBrake supports AVI anymore. For Batch Encode, the input types supported are DVD-ROM, BD-ROM, VIDEO_TS, BDMV, m2ts & mkv.

Thanks, mac.jedi

TuckBodi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
I'll test the default video kind on my end to make sure it's still working properly. Note, that the default only works when the action is set to run automatically … no dialogs asking for video kind.

Yeah, that explains it...I didn't have it set to run automatically. I'm also starting to think this was an oddity disc, because while it was a TV show, it was long like a movie and really a documentary. Tagging on it was odd because thetvdb showed it as a special, not as an episode, and it'll probably have to be hand-tagged. Non-issue.

On a sidenote, I did do an actual TV show (Stephen King's The Stand), which had two episodes per side, and everything worked great..except it looks like the cover art was applied to the original (the icon changed) while the metatags were applied to the temp file. Is that supposed to happen? Once I feel comfortable with the files not getting hosed/corrupted I'll be turning off the temp file so this may be a non-issue too.

Awesome tool and as I get more into it I'm sure I'll have some more questions and suggestions. Thanks for making this and the patience & prompt responses!

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Hi,

Anyone else having trouble using encoded DVD's with their iPod/iPhone? I've just ripped 20 or so films and only just got around to trying one of them on my iPhone and it says it isn't compatible! :(

In the past I just used the Handbrake "Universal" encoding settings which allowed me to play the files on iPhone or Apple TV or Computer. Is this not the case with the default settings in the Batch Encode action? Anything I can do to make these movies playable on my iPhone other than re-encode them all?

Here is the line I used to have in my old batchEncode.scpt file:
Code:
property encodeSettings : "--preset=\"Universal\" --subtitle-scan --native-language eng" -- Note: you must escape quotes for presets.

Thanks,
Craig.

ps. I know, I should have tried them on my iPhone sooner... :p

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Hi,

Anyone else having trouble using encoded DVD's with their iPod/iPhone? I've just ripped 20 or so films and only just got around to trying one of them on my iPhone and it says it isn't compatible! :(

In the past I just used the Handbrake "Universal" encoding settings which allowed me to play the files on iPhone or Apple TV or Computer. Is this not the case with the default settings in the Batch Encode action? Anything I can do to make these movies playable on my iPhone other than re-encode them all?

Here is the line I used to have in my old batchEncode.scpt file:
Code:
property encodeSettings : "--preset=\"Universal\" --subtitle-scan --native-language eng" -- Note: you must escape quotes for presets.

Thanks,
Craig.

ps. I know, I should have tried them on my iPhone sooner... :p

Hi Craig,

I'm sorry your encodes aren't making it to your iPhone. There is some noise on the HandBrake site related to a change in either iTunes or HB that is causing compatibility problems, but I'm not sure if your issue is related or not. The default setting for batch encode is basically hb's universal preset, but it has changed a few times through HB's development to 0.9.4. I'm currently testing v1.0.4 of The Batch Encode action that improves compatibility with the latest release of HB. I did a test encode yesterday and sync'd it to my iPhone with no problems. I'll be releasing v1.0.4 shortly. In the meantime, you can try to use a custom encode setting to see if you get better results. Try the code below:
Code:
--preset="Universal"

I hope this helps. Thanks, mac.jedi

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Hi Craig,

I'm sorry your encodes aren't making it to your iPhone. There is some noise on the HandBrake site related to a change in either iTunes or HB that is causing compatibility problems, but I'm not sure if your issue is related or not. The default setting for batch encode is basically hb's universal preset, but it has changed a few times through HB's development to 0.9.4. I'm currently testing v1.0.4 of The Batch Encode action that improves compatibility with the latest release of HB. I did a test encode yesterday and sync'd it to my iPhone with no problems. I'll be releasing v1.0.4 shortly. In the meantime, you can try to use a custom encode setting to see if you get better results. Try the code below:
Code:
--preset="Universal"

I hope this helps. Thanks, mac.jedi

Hi mac.jedi,
No need to apologise, you are doing great work! This little hiccup is all part of the process.

I've installed Handbrake 0.9.4 and have just kicked off an encode using the following settings which I am setting as custom DVD encode settings in my Batch Encode (Service) workflow. This is just the Universal preset as extracted using the -z CLI option with the subtitle scan and native language switch added. I have found that these are required to ensure that the subtitles are shown where there are short foreign language scenes with english subtitles within an otherwise english audio track. There may be a better way to achieve this of course.

Code:
-e x264  -q 20.0 -a 1,1 -E faac,ac3 -B 160,160 -6 dpl2,auto -R 48,Auto -D 0.0,0.0 -f mp4 -X 720 --loose-anamorphic --subtitle-scan --native-language eng -m -x cabac=0:ref=2:me=umh:bframes=0:8x8dct=0:trellis=0:subme=6

I wondered if the issue was to do with the use of ca_aac in your version versus faac in the Universal preset? Most of the rest seems very similar other than the x264 special options which I don't know much about.

Anyway, I'll find out in the morning if these settings are more successful as there should be four movies encoded and waiting for me.

Thanks,
Craig.

Edit: Forget what I said about the subtitle scan. It causes the movies to fail to encode. I think it is due to the fact it becomes a two pass process and the controlling script doesn't expect this. Maybe the subtitles will work okay, I'll find out tomorrow. Running the encodes without the subtitle scan and native language switch.

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Edit: Forget what I said about the subtitle scan. It causes the movies to fail to encode. I think it is due to the fact it becomes a two pass process and the controlling script doesn't expect this. Maybe the subtitles will work okay, I'll find out tomorrow. Running the encodes without the subtitle scan and native language switch.

Hi Craig,

I just tried your settings in Terminal and it looks like the [ --subtitle-scan ] command is no longer supported. You need to use [ --subtitle "scan" ]. I tried running it and the hb output said I needed to use it with --subtitle-burn. I haven't really gotten into subs yet, so my knowledge is limited, but it looks like it works, encoding a file with subs now.

Check out the subtitle arg info in the HBCLI help, it looks like the HB wiki is still showing the old commands: /path/to/HandBrakeCLI -h

Thanks,

mac.jedi

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Announcement: Batch Rip Actions Updated

ANNOUNCEMENT: BATCH RIP ACTIONS UPDATED

Update 2009-12-02

Release Notes
Batch Rip Actions for Automator 1.0.4

Everything
  • Provides general fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and functionality of Batch Rip Actions for Automator. In other words, I fixed a lot of stuff, but forgot write them all down.
  • Updated installer package, should provide greater compatibility for those with unique system configurations.
  • Batch Rip • Batch Rip (Folder Action).workflow has been replaced by the new Batch Rip Dispatcher LaunchAgent.
  • Tutorial has been updated to reflect the changes of v1.0.4.

Batch Rip Dispatcher.action - NEW ACTION

• This action controls the Batch Rip Dispatcher LaunchAgent which acts like a folder action to automatically launch Batch Rip when a disc is inserted.
  • IMPORTANT: The Batch Rip Folder Action is no longer supported. You need to Enable Batch Rip Dispatcher by running the Service after it is installed.

Tag Inspector.action - NEW ACTION

• This action displays all the iTunes metadata present in the input file.

Get Source Info from HandBrake.action - NEW ACTION

• This action scans each source with HandBrakeCLI and saves the info to a text file.

Batch Rip.action - UPDATED
  • Updated to version 1.0.4
  • Added support for Batch Rip Dispatcher
  • Changed the way variables are passed to the shell
  • Added an option to skip discs that already exist in the output folder or append the name of new copy.
  • Added an option to save Terminal output to ~/Library/Logs.

Batch Encode.action - UPDATED
  • Updated to version 1.0.4
  • Improved compatibility with HandBrake v0.9.4.
  • Fixed min/max title selection for Movies, where movies were returning more than one title.
  • Changed the way variables are passed to the shell, improves stability when running multiple instances
  • Added ISO8859-1 character substitution in meta-tag info.
  • The HandBrakeCLI title scan is now saved as a text file to the source directory.
  • Added an option to display a verbose activity log for HandBrake.
  • Terminal output from last session is now saved in ~/Library/Logs.

Add Movie Tags.action - UPDATED
  • Added support for Search & Tag. If enabled, will display a search field and return a list of matches instead of using filename.
  • General improvements in returning titles, handling metadata and processing cover art.
  • Added option to remove all tags from the input file when the "Add tags" option is off.

Add TV Tags.action - UPDATED
  • General improvements in returning episode info, handling metadata and processing cover art.
  • Added option to remove all tags from the input file when the "Add tags" option is off.

Rename Movie Items.action - UPDATED
  • Added underscore replacement when using file/folder name as search criteria.
  • Added ISO8859-1 character substitution.
  • General improvements in returning matching titles.

Add Movie Poster.action - UPDATED
  • Added underscore replacement when using file name as search criteria.
  • Added ISO8859-1 character substitution.
  • General improvements in returning matching titles.

Happy Encoding!
mac.jedi

Idgit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Hi Idgit,

Thanks for posting! I'm sorry, but I don't believe HandBrake supports AVI anymore. For Batch Encode, the input types supported are DVD-ROM, BD-ROM, VIDEO_TS, BDMV, m2ts & mkv.

Thanks, mac.jedi

Actually, Handbrake 0.94 still supports AVI input, but no longer outputs to AVI.

I have a bunch of old AVI rips (made with ffmpegX and MacTheRipper) that I would like to transcode to MP4/M4V. Is there any way I could modify your Automator actions to accept XviD/DivX AVI input types?

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Actually, Handbrake 0.94 still supports AVI input, but no longer outputs to AVI.

I have a bunch of old AVI rips (made with ffmpegX and MacTheRipper) that I would like to transcode to MP4/M4V. Is there any way I could modify your Automator actions to accept XviD/DivX AVI input types?

Hi Idgit,

Thanks for posting! It's definitely possible, but it would take quite a bit of work. There are a lot of sections in the code that would need to be updated to support it and unfortunately, it's not a feature I plan on adding.

Your best bet would be to create a shell script that loops through a folder of AVI's and encodes them with HB using the settings you desire. You can then tag those files using the actions provided. I think I may still have a basic batch script laying around if you're interested. Just let me know and I'll try to dig it up.

Thanks again, mac.jedi

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Announcement: Batch Rip Actions Updated

ANNOUNCEMENT: BATCH RIP ACTIONS UPDATED

I did a stealth update to Batch Rip.action and Batch Encode.action at about 8:30AM PST. I highly recommend re-downloading and re-installing to replace the actions if you downloaded v1.0.4 last night or this morning.

The Dirt - The change was a small one, the line that sent the variables (your settings) to Terminal was set as a background process. In some instances the Service would quit too early before issuing the complete command to Terminal. This only happened once during testing, but it happened again this morning. So, I thought I'd issue a quick fix.

Happy Encoding, mac.jedi

mac.jedi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2008
The O.C.
Announcement: Batch Rip Actions Updated, Again.

ANNOUNCEMENT: BATCH RIP ACTIONS UPDATED, AGAIN.

I did another update to Batch Rip.action and Batch Encode.action at about 4:30PM PST. I highly recommend re-downloading and re-installing to replace the actions if you've previously downloaded v1.0.4.

The fix I made earlier, didn't fix the issue. Should be resolved now. Sorry for all the updates.

Happy Encoding, mac.jedi

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Hi mac.jedi,

Thanks for your latest updates, I am just ripping a disc using them just now.

Further to my last post about subtitles, it appears that your suggested approach using the new command line options works fine so thanks for pointing that out.

The new rename and movie tagging actions are working better as I had previously had issues with "Alien 3 (1992)" where the 3 was in superscript. I am also now able to tag "Shooter (2007)", "The Bourne Ultimatum (2007)", "The Thomas Crown Affair (1999)" and "Three (2005)". These were a bit different because I could previously rename them but not tag them. All work fine now.

Thanks again, keep up the good work! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.