Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
What would be the best one to buy? I like eMacs but the G5 looks sooo nice. I know I probably won't be able to use any for very long but whatever. What is the best?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
the powermac is best obviously lol

as far as best for your money, id get a used/new intel mini as i get the impression you dont need a powermac as you are alos considering an emac

just my thoughtd

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
ehh I don't really want a mini. I like doing some audio/photo/video editing. I would really like a g5 quad or MP or iMac i7 but that won't happen soon. I may just go for a 1.42 eMac and 1.8 dual g5

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
ehh I don't really want a mini. I like doing some audio/photo/video editing. I would really like a g5 quad or MP or iMac i7 but that won't happen soon. I may just go for a 1.42 eMac and 1.8 dual g5

you do realize a mini will blow away that emac and imac out of the water right in terms od performance? esp in the editing you listed

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
i just bought a 2.3 for the same reason i got alot of **** i understand if u dnt want the mini but if the 2.0 is a dual core from late 2005 then get that and why would you want an emac and a g5?

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
you do realize a mini will blow away that emac and imac out of the water right in terms od performance? esp in the editing you listed

I wouldn't use the eMac for editing and probably not the g5 either. Thats why I'm working on my Snow Leopard Hackintosh

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
hello

the eMac G4 1.42 64mb graphic ram and 160gb hdd if upgraded to 1gb or if you like to 2 gb ram (thats how much the eMac supports ) best of all it does not suffer from the bad capacitor issue , is good enough for photoshop , rendering with vue7 and poser 5 , its also good enough for ripping films , and
best of all it has a nice crt screen build in which offers true colours

ok it might not be blistering fast but its a workhorse , it does not complain about anything it just does what you ask it to do

the powermac g5 dual 1.8 is faster yes , but more expensive and you need a screen too

same for the mini it is a better performer (the 2 ghz onwards models ) but then to cost a lot more and you need a screen too

leaves the iMac g5 which hmm just dont get a model where the motherboard was build between 2003 and end 2004 as they suffered from bad capacitors
and the picture quality not to bad but if you want true colors its wasted money

ok if you are someone who is in stress all the time ,
you cant even make coffee without a stopwatch in your hand
you even stop your time when sleeping
as you are worried you might have wasted a second

then you need a Mac pro 8core 2.93 with 32gb ram as everything else is to slow anyway

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
it does not complain about anything it just does what you ask it to do

Except run Snow Leopard.

Honestly, a new or used recent model Mac mini will be way faster than all but a quad core G5 (and even then it'll be close for many things) and it'll be a whole hell of a lot cheaper.

And while CRTs have the potential for better color than an LCD panel, I'd take a moderately priced LCD over a 6-year old CRT with who-knows how many hours on it.

brisbaneguy29

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Brisbane
I got a G5 Quad, and it is still a great machine. I just bought an i7 iMac to replace it, but this machine, I still use every day, and is a very reliable workhorse. I suppose I will sell it now the new iMac is here, but I must say, it is certainly not a slow machine, even by todays standards.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
He mentioned dual G5s so iMac G5s are out of the question :p.

I'd go for either of those G5s as long as it has 8 memory slots. Upgrade to 3-4+gb and it will be a great machine. Even an SSD+HDD will bring it new life. If you can get either machine for <$300 is also the question as you don't want to spend much more than that on those.

Badger^2

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2009
Sacramento
i still vote for a mini. $429/$499 refurbs right now, hurry

I wouldn't use the eMac for editing and probably not the g5 either. Thats why I'm working on my Snow Leopard Hackintosh

If you arent going to use your new/used G4/G5/emac/mini for any of that, then why mention it?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
he said (the thread starter that is) he might not keep them for long
so the eMac offers really good value for money as everything you need is there and its stylish too i love mine
and as he`s already looking for a eMac money seems to be a issue

and none of the powerpc will run snow leopard as its a intel Mac only operating system
and for the price of one intel mini
i get two eMac 1.42 which will do fine ..would bring multi tasking to a new level
i payed even less then a mini cost ,
for my powerMac 2.5 quad with 16gb ram and 2 x 1tb inside
leopard runs just fine

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
The PowerMac with maxed out RAM will blow the eMac out of the water, and with a good graphics card would likely be about on par with a current Mini for basic media work -- maybe better if you upgrade some of the internals. If you don't feel a need to always have the newest shiniest software, it's a machine that could last you several more years. Other than the Intel vs. PPC issue, the one thing the Mini has over the PowerMac right now is power usage.

Definitely. Plus a new mini would cost less than a used G5 would.

If it does, there's a reason for that -- meaning that the G5 is still a much more desirable machine to certain users. But what I'm seeing is that prices are currently on par; if anything, the G5 costs a bit less ($400-600) if you buy it from eBay or Craigslist rather from a reseller (who are currently buying them up for $250 and selling them for $650).

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
i bought my eMac g4 1.42 at ebay for £142 ,
i bought my powermac g5 quad 2.5 at ebay for £230
ok i must admit it was a good deal , seller did put it in the motorcycle category under honda
nobody did bid against me :D

so always search whole ebay you will be surprised what you find in totally wrong category
i bought my chevy too at ebay .it was in the television category

raysfan81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
i bought my eMac g4 1.42 at ebay for £142 ,
i bought my powermac g5 quad 2.5 at ebay for £230
ok i must admit it was a good deal , seller did put it in the motorcycle category under honda
nobody did bid against me :D

so always search whole ebay you will be surprised what you find in totally wrong category
i bought my chevy too at ebay .it was in the television category

wow i need to look in random categories for g5 quads now

you wouldn't happen to know of any on eBay now would you??????

I just found one listed und PC desktops.... now really are people that dumb?

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
that g5 says it displays no video. The emac looks good but i wouldent recommend it unless you will be uisng it for less than 3 months

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
wow i need to look in random categories for g5 quads now

you wouldn't happen to know of any on eBay now would you??????

I just found one listed und PC desktops.... now really are people that dumb?

no comment :)
it always happens when people have listed something then ebay ask something like "would you like to sell a similar item" or something like that , so they just say yes and keep listing .. thats how things end up in totally wrong category`s ..

and sorry i dont know of any at the moment .
but its worth to keep your eye`s open ;)

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
that g5 says it displays no video. The emac looks good but i wouldent recommend it unless you will be uisng it for less than 3 months

i think the eMac is a really good deal
apple did not build in a sellf destruction mechanism it them :eek:
it wont blow up after 3 month
but i would upgrade the ram at least to 1gb

i have fitted a digital tv usb stick on mine to view and record films
and cut out the commercial minutes

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
why less than 3 months

well, i just think that if you can get a g5 or an emac, get the g5 idk why 3 months lol but if you just want a temporary computer than get the emac if you want one for like 1-2 years get a g5. Emacs r great though i loved mine

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.