Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ceek

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2008
NY
Aside from wanting to maintain my status as super-husband in my wife's eyes, I desperately need to find out why Photoshop CS4 is crashing my wife's computer. She downloaded it last night as a gift from her sister-in-law (yey!), and I just sat down to give her a tutorial. Alas, every time I try and Place a picture on a new canvas, the entire computer locks up (except for the mouse icon). Not even Command/Option/Esc will shake it. Any ideas?

G5, 10.5.8, 250Gb HD w/ 81Gb free, 2Gb SDRAM

.: ceek :.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
CS4 on a G5? Err, good luck with that one. Adobe system requirements ask for a dual CPU G5 at the minimum, not the single as found in the iMacs. It's locking up as it doesn't have enough grunt.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Have you restarted the computer after installation? Also, repair your permissions with Disk Utility. If that doesn't help, reinstall the Photoshop

ceek

macrumors member
Original poster
May 14, 2008
NY
Hmmmm, OK. Thanks for the info. I run it fine on my 2008 iMac in my office.

I'll try repairing disc permissions and let you know.

.:ceek:.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
CS4 on a G5? Err, good luck with that one. Adobe system requirements ask for a dual CPU G5 at the minimum, not the single as found in the iMacs. It's locking up as it doesn't have enough grunt.

hmmm, according to the system requirements that Adobe posts here, they don't require a dual G5 :confused:

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
hmmm, according to the system requirements that Adobe posts here, they don't require a dual G5 :confused:

I eat my hat, although I swear I'd read dual G5s only. That said, a 1.8Ghz G5 is going to be pretty low in terms of performance, no matter how you look at it. The OP's description sounds pretty much like too much load being placed on the system.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I eat my hat, although I swear I'd read dual G5s only. That said, a 1.8Ghz G5 is going to be pretty low in terms of performance, no matter how you look at it. The OP's description sounds pretty much like too much load being placed on the system.

He/she should check his Activity Monitor so the usage of CPU and RAM are visible.

It would be slow instead of a total lockup if it's hardware related

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Alas, every time I try and Place a picture on a new canvas, the entire computer locks up (except for the mouse icon). Not even Command/Option/Esc will shake it.

Is this the only repeatable instance of Photoshop locking up? Can you create new documents and work with those i.e. drawing or painting on new layers, running filters etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.