Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Since it's a slow and lazy Saturday at home, I decided to get the PS3 folding. So now I have the MP, my MacBook, two of 6 unix machines, my wife's iMac, and my PS3 folding.........what have you guys done to me? ;)

All the folding happiness will be coming to a close on Dec 7th though. That's when the movers show up to do the final packing and ship all my household goods. I should be back up and running full-on by mid Jan.

PS3's give good ppd, and as far as what WE have done to you... check the water - bwahaha!

Here is a link to Atlas's machine stats, it's freeking awesome to look at!!!!!

MacProCpo

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2008
The water here in Japan IS a bit freaky :p

I KNOW!!! Where's the "drool" emotiocon! Each one of his GPU monsters is making 66K ppd....and he's got FIVE OF THEM!!!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
PS3's give good ppd, and as far as what WE have done to you... check the water - bwahaha!

yeah i've got my PS3 folding when i'm not using it. i think it gets about 1,000 ppd (not sure though, but i think i read that somewhere)

thanks for that link!

The water here in Japan IS a bit freaky :p

I KNOW!!! Where's the "drool" emotiocon! Each one of his GPU monsters is making 66K ppd....and he's got FIVE OF THEM!!!

man that's crazy!

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I now have 2 gpu's running which should put up some additional points. I have stopped the cpu folding on that machine, it wasn't doing nearly as many ppd in windows as it was in linux. Hopefully I can push over the 400k ppw mark but we shall see.

I am used to win xp at work but win 7 has been a challenge to figure out, so many things have changed...

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I now have 2 gpu's running which should put up some additional points. I have stopped the cpu folding on that machine, it wasn't doing nearly as many ppd in windows as it was in linux. Hopefully I can push over the 400k ppw mark but we shall see.

I am used to win xp at work but win 7 has been a challenge to figure out, so many things have changed...

nice. both 275s? how do you keep up with the wattage?

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
nice. both 275s? how do you keep up with the wattage?

I have my fingers crossed! one of them is connected to the power supply for another machine :eek: it seems to be working for now but I will have to get some bigger psu's soon. The one you are getting looks like a good deal.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I have my fingers crossed! one of them is connected to the power supply for another machine :eek: it seems to be working for now but I will have to get some bigger psu's soon. The one you are getting looks like a good deal.

oh ok. yeah i've heard of people doing that though. yeah, better get a bigger psu soon though

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Hey twoodcc, You are putting up a boatload of wu's, 41 for today, that is impressive and loads of points too. When I get home tonight I'm ordering 2 psu's and another windows 7 so I can get all 4 of my gpu's folding.

I think I will add another 2 gpu's (to make 6) and forget about another whole machine for now, that 12 core mac pro they are talking about on the front page looks mighty tempting to wait for.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
Hey twoodcc, You are putting up a boatload of wu's, 41 for today, that is impressive and loads of points too. When I get home tonight I'm ordering 2 psu's and another windows 7 so I can get all 4 of my gpu's folding.

I think I will add another 2 gpu's (to make 6) and forget about another whole machine for now, that 12 core mac pro they are talking about on the front page looks mighty tempting to wait for.

thanks! yeah the bigadv units are nice, but i'm starting to think the gpus is where it's at. i'm already thinking of putting another gpu in my i7 machine (the one i've been running bigadv units on).

which 2 gpus are you thinking about adding?

yeah that 12 core mac pro will be tempting, but i bet the price won't be though

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
But you have to run windows... GPU3 will apparently allow macs to run the gpu client because of open CL, and also help ATI which are fairings very poorly right now in Folding.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
But you have to run windows... GPU3 will apparently allow macs to run the gpu client because of open CL, and also help ATI which are fairings very poorly right now in Folding.

yeah i know, which stinks, but at least windows 7 is a little better.

here's the problem for me and the bigadv units: i can't really use the computer for anything else. but with the gpus going, i can still use the system.

gpu3 will be good, but still, apple doesn't allow for all the video cards though

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
thanks! yeah the bigadv units are nice, but i'm starting to think the gpus is where it's at. i'm already thinking of putting another gpu in my i7 machine (the one i've been running bigadv units on).

which 2 gpus are you thinking about adding?

yeah that 12 core mac pro will be tempting, but i bet the price won't be though

It's amazing how much the the price has increased for "pro" macs over the years, though if you look at comparable dell's or hp's they are often more expensive than a high end mac pro (without the add on's, Apple want's too much for memory and hdd's).

I was thinking of maybe 2 more gtx 275's, that would make 4 275's and 2 260's. 3 would go on the i7 machine and 3 on the amd 965 and since I didn't have much luck with windows 7 running normal units well on the amd I may not get the normal cpu units running on the i7 either, all of those gpu's will make up for any difference though. That will probably be it for new horse power for a while, I may have to live with the idea that I will never catch up to mc68k :rolleyes: or even atlasfolding :D

lordonuthin

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
yeah i know, which stinks, but at least windows 7 is a little better.

here's the problem for me and the bigadv units: i can't really use the computer for anything else. but with the gpus going, i can still use the system.

gpu3 will be good, but still, apple doesn't allow for all the video cards though

At least with my mac pro it is quite usable while running bigadv units, it doesn't feel slow at all and the wu doesn't slow down very much.

Are there gpu, pci-e, power connectors inside the mac pro? I forgot to look the last time I had mine open.

I will sell my 2 copies of win 7, and go back to linux, when gpu3 is up and running, it would be nice not to have to buy another copy right now but I don't want to wait for gpu3, which could be weeks or months before it is ready. I guess it is out for alpha testing, I don't think I'll bother until it's past the beta stage.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
It's amazing how much the the price has increased for "pro" macs over the years, though if you look at comparable dell's or hp's they are often more expensive than a high end mac pro (without the add on's, Apple want's too much for memory and hdd's).

I was thinking of maybe 2 more gtx 275's, that would make 4 275's and 2 260's. 3 would go on the i7 machine and 3 on the amd 965 and since I didn't have much luck with windows 7 running normal units well on the amd I may not get the normal cpu units running on the i7 either, all of those gpu's will make up for any difference though. That will probably be it for new horse power for a while, I may have to live with the idea that I will never catch up to mc68k :rolleyes: or even atlasfolding :D

yeah, the mac pro is just out of my price range now. when it was first released in 2006, you got 4 cores, which was the most at the time, for $2499. i could deal with that. but now 8 cores cost $3299, and i'm sure the 12 cores will be the same, if not even more.

oh ok. i'm not sure if i want to get 260s or 250s. i know the 260s get almost 2k more ppd than the 250GTS, but it might not be worth the price. i'm still thinking about it.

yeah right now i'm just running gpu units. i wonder which uses more power, gpu or bigadv?

At least with my mac pro it is quite usable while running bigadv units, it doesn't feel slow at all and the wu doesn't slow down very much.

Are there gpu, pci-e, power connectors inside the mac pro? I forgot to look the last time I had mine open.

I will sell my 2 copies of win 7, and go back to linux, when gpu3 is up and running, it would be nice not to have to buy another copy right now but I don't want to wait for gpu3, which could be weeks or months before it is ready. I guess it is out for alpha testing, I don't think I'll bother until it's past the beta stage.

my mac pro is too slow for the bigadv units, and the regular ones only get about 3500 ppd. i'm getting over 15,000 ppd with the 4 gpus.

your mac pro might have those connections. mine has 2 x 6-pin connectors for video cards. i really didn't look for any 4-pin connectors.

i don't even know where to look for the alpha gpu3. but yeah, i'll wait. i wonder how long the wait will be though

SciFrog

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2008
BTW no more points will be recredited for the stats mishap earlier last months. They lost the data and did some estimations... Nothing else will be given...

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
i'm already over it, in the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter too much. if i were to be credited all the stuff over the years i should have been im sure id have 100s of thousands more points :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.