Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

incognitoguile

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2009
This is my second post, so bear with me!

I searched battery on this forum and it seems the threads to do with battery pop up often, but most of them end up with people flaming the OP for posting 'another battery thread'. I looked over those threads and looked at how to use the battery recommendations in the booklet and on the apple website. The advice seems vague to me.

I just got my macbook 4 hours ago, I completely charged the battery, and now I'm about to boot it up.

I know not to always keep the charger plugged in, and also to 'occasionally let the juices flow'.

This is as specific as apple gets with how to maximize battery:

'An ideal use would be a commuter who uses her MacBook Pro on the train, then plugs it in at the office to charge.'

So the best way to use your macbook battery would be to drain it to 20% once a day (during the train ride) and then plug it in and keep it at a 100% for the rest of the day (in the office)? That's what that example suggests.

It's similar to what I will do.
=====
Morning: Plugged in.

Noon: On battery in lectures (I'm a college kid)

Afternoon: Plugged in

Night: Plugged in

I sleep: unplug at 100%? (Should I unplug at 100% at night, or should I drain to 50%?)
======

1. So am I correct in deducing that the best way to use a macbook is to drain battery to 20% once or twice a day, and then keep it plugged in for the rest?

~~~
2. Also, where would be a good place to find really cheap deals for a macbook sleeve or cover. The macshell looks amazing, but it's like $30, and I'm a poor college kid (who afforded this macbook because of parents pitching in). A cheap macshell like thing would be ideal, but I think I want like a $5 sleeve? (13")

J the Ninja

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008
Best advice I can give is: plug in when you have an outlet handy. Running off the battery during lecture is plenty to keep your battery "exercised." I'd keep the charger in the rest of the time. And don't concern yourself with the fact that it is plugged in all weekend. As for keeping your battery loosened-up during breaks, just cave the urge to remove all the cables and sit with it on the couch every so often. :p

My battery (bought the machine 10/15/08, full capacity for this battery is 4600mAh)

Code:
Jasons-MacBook-Pro:~ Jason$ pmset -g rawlog
pmset is in RAW logging mode now. Hit ctrl-c to exit.
 * Battery matched at registry = 9731
  external connected = yes
  battery present = yes
  battery charging = no
  cap = 4360/4385
  time remaining = 1:36
  current = 0
  cycle count = 87/500
  location = 0

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.