Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bulldog VII

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 10, 2007
London
Hi all

I have the new 3G iphone & I was wondering how to easily transfer the pictures from it to my mac book. The only way I can see too is by emailing the picture.

I'm sure there must be another way, but I can't see it

It's not normally a problem, but I'm about to cycle from Lands End to John O'Groats (1000 miles) & mobile phone reception will be hit & miss in Scotland highlands (so I've been told)

Thanks in advance

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Hi all

I have the new 3G iphone & I was wondering how to easily transfer the pictures from it to my mac book. The only way I can see too is by emailing the picture.

I'm sure there must be another way, but I can't see it

It's not normally a problem, but I'm about to cycle from Lands End to John O'Groats (1000 miles) & mobile phone reception will be hit & miss in Scotland highlands (so I've been told)

Thanks in advance
For PC users, just plug the phone in and drag the file...same as plugging in a digital camera.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
If you have iPhoto, it works the best. Make sure you have the latest updates.

Otherwise, use image capture, in the applications folder.

Hdunlopclark

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
U.K.
If you conect the iphone to the macbook then open iPhoto your iphone should appear in the left hand toolbar like in iTunes then click on it and at the bottom of the programs window you can then click import.
Hope this helped!

nfg315

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
NYC
iphoto automatically opens and asks me to import as soon as i plug the phone in to sync...you may just need to check a setting box or something

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I dont like iphoto so the easiest way to do it is using image capture, just plug in your iphone launch image capture from your applications folder and import all images or just selected images into any folder you want.

LovelyFlight

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Hello,

I am having a similar issue. I am not able to transfer my photos from my iPhone to my MacBook. Image Capture says "No Image Capture device connected", similarly, iPhoto does not display the iPhone on the left hand side.
Please help :)

cababah

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2009
SF Bay Area, CA
sometimes you have to re-open iphoto several times or re-connect the iphone to get it to show up in the menu tree..it is finnicky at times.

LovelyFlight

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Still not working...not only that, but I can't use BlueTooth either...I am resorting to emailing my tens of pictures, 5 at a time :confused:

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Still not working...not only that, but I can't use BlueTooth either...I am resorting to emailing my tens of pictures, 5 at a time :confused:

Senuti is another software that you could use.

FYI, you can select more than 5 pics to email. Just select more than 5 and then click copy. Then paste them into an email.

Edit: I forgot about iPhone Explorer, which will also work.

LovelyFlight

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009

FYI, you can select more than 5 pics to email. Just select more than 5 and then click copy. Then paste them into an email.

Thanks! I'll try that.

But the question remains: why does it not work? After all the money spent and all the marketing on how great Apple is for this stuff....shouldn't these things work?

LovelyFlight

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Use the Camera PrefPane. You can have it download iPhone photos to wherever you want on your HDD without using iPhoto.

Thank you! I tried but it still does not see my iPhone. It's not displayed as a camera. It's as though my macbook doesn't know there is a camera plugged in. I am using the iPhone connector. Still only iTunes detects it.

LovelyFlight

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Thanks! I'll try that.

But the question remains: why does it not work? After all the money spent and all the marketing on how great Apple is for this stuff....shouldn't these things work?

Senuti seems to work great for music, but not pictures.

LovelyFlight

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009

I just downloaded and installed iPhone Explorer, but it's not starting. I also took your advice on copy/paste. Thank you :)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
I just downloaded and installed iPhone Explorer, but it's not starting. I also took your advice on copy/paste. Thank you :)

Hmmm, it starts for me. Did you get it from here?

http://www.iphone-explorer.com/

I'll admit I've only used the PC version, so I can't attest to the Mac version. However, this software was brought up in an older thread, where someone used it on a Mac.

You could also use this from the same software developer:

http://www.podphototransfer.com/

BTW, looking at your latest posts, you might need to reinstall iTunes. It almost looks like the drivers are missing for your iPhone, since you can't see it on the Mac.

LovelyFlight

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
Have you tried checking this on another computer or another USB port? Have you rebooted your Mac?

I tried a PC (both 7 and XP) and it did not see it. I rebooted the Mac. I also rebooted the phone. I should try with another cord. But I only have one iPhone charger. This has worked in the past. It's only yesterday that I noticed it stopped working. It's as though my phone stopped communicating that it's a camera. And the bluetooth also stopped working (it connects; other devices see it, but I cannot do any transfers and it doesn't see the other devices).

MasterDev

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
I tried a PC (both 7 and XP) and it did not see it. I rebooted the Mac. I also rebooted the phone. I should try with another cord. But I only have one iPhone charger. This has worked in the past. It's only yesterday that I noticed it stopped working. It's as though my phone stopped communicating that it's a camera. And the bluetooth also stopped working (it connects; other devices see it, but I cannot do any transfers and it doesn't see the other devices).

Take the phone to Apple. It's probably the phone.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009

Once you get everything off you want, try doing a restore in DFU mode and see if it's recognized properly after that.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
I agree with -aggie- that a restore may be in order. I would suggest that before you resort to that, however, you try another USB cable. You might be surprised how often that is the problem.

LovelyFlight

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
I agree with -aggie- that a restore may be in order. I would suggest that before you resort to that, however, you try another USB cable. You might be surprised how often that is the problem.

I am pretty sure it's the cable too. At least it's a hardware issue for sure. The cable is a little loose; I taped it tight. If that doesn't work, I'm taking to Apple. Thank you.

LovelyFlight

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2009
I went to the Apple store today. I didn't know this, but the iPhone's bluetooth is only for wireless headset, it cannot be used to transfer files.

I was told by one of the technicians that there is water damage in my dock and there is nothing that can be done except to exchange my phone for $225. He also told me that I was lucky iTunes saw it at all. None of their macbooks' iTunes in the store was able to see my iPhone. So when I got home I was very worried and I plugged my phone into my macbook, rebooted the macbook and lord behold!!! There was my iPhone sitting pretty in my drivers list!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.