Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
So I had Skype in Leopard and it worked fine. However, ever since upgrading to SL, whenever I try to launch a video chat or go to the video prefs in Skype, it says the camera is in use by another application. I have the latest version of Skype installed, and I have uninstalled and re-installed it several times. I have repaired permissions and still nothing works. I have quit every application and launched it and it still says this. Anyone have any suggestions?

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Yea I restarted and I checked the activity monitor and widgets, but it still comes up with that message. My friend has the same problem on his brand new (as of today) MBP where the camera does not work in Skype.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Have you tried other applications and see if it works? Photo Booth or something

Yea I did and it does work in Photo Booth and iChat. It seems to be a problem with Skype itself.

macsrule25

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2009
So I had Skype in Leopard and it worked fine. However, ever since upgrading to SL, whenever I try to launch a video chat or go to the video prefs in Skype, it says the camera is in use by another application. I have the latest version of Skype installed, and I have uninstalled and re-installed it several times. I have repaired permissions and still nothing works. I have quit every application and launched it and it still says this. Anyone have any suggestions?
try unplugging it before starting it. then replug it into a different USB port.

tman07

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2009
im actually on skype (video chatting) right now in Snow Leo.... so i know it works! Do you have ANY other apps running that my be using your camera? Is your camera light on?

mwmiller

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
Similar problem - more info

I have the same problem on the same machine (13" MBP) - iChat video works but Skype video gives me the same message (camera in use). I have done all the things Shado has done - reloaded Skype, tossed the preferences. I have successfully skype video'd with my friend who has Snow Leopard on a 24" iMac (I see my friend but of course my friend does not see me). Any help is appreciated.

mwmiller

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2009
I have the same problem on the same machine (13" MBP) - iChat video works but Skype video gives me the same message (camera in use). I have done all the things Shado has done - reloaded Skype, tossed the preferences. I have successfully skype video'd with my friend who has Snow Leopard on a 24" iMac (I see my friend but of course my friend does not see me). Any help is appreciated.

Well 15 minutes later with the help of Google I found a reference that refers to "setting" up the audio and video in Skype. Turns out (duh!) that I have my MBP connected to the Apple 24" monitor with its own built-in iSight and I had to specify that I was using the "Display iSight" as opposed to the "Built-in iSight". Sorry for clogging up the thread.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Hi Folks. I found a solution that worked for me:

Close Skype
go to /Library/QuickTime/
DELETE this file: CamCamX5.component
Open and login skype ;-)

Please give credit to our french brothers:
http://forum.mac4ever.com/post607938.html#p607938

:)

Thanks for the suggestion man but I don't have that file in my Library/Quicktime folder. I only have AC3MovieImport.component and Perian.component.

Edit: Fixed it. I started up Quicktime X and recorded a short video using the iSight camera. Then when I opened Skype, the video camera worked fine. Hope this helps people.

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
I suddenly started getting the same Skype "Camera is in Use By Another Application" error after uploadeding a whole bunch of QT codecs to the /library yesterday.

CamCamX5.component must have been one in the pack. After deleting it everything works

Thanks LouZerpa and http://forum.mac4ever.com/post607938.html#p607938

Nice. I don't have the CamCamX5.component in my Library so I can't remove that. So every time I want to video chat with someone I have to record a short video in Quicktime X and then it works. Pretty annoying but o well.

lokeybh

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2010
Nice. I don't have the CamCamX5.component in my Library so I can't remove that. So every time I want to video chat with someone I have to record a short video in Quicktime X and then it works. Pretty annoying but o well.

Make sure you do not go to your 'user'/Library..., start from your harddrive (often Macintosh HD) /Library/QuickTime ... you will find it there if it exists. Worked for me!

Mr. Zooterpust

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2010
It worked for me.

I've been trying to solve this problem for a very long time and finally today, ten months after your original post, Google sent me to this forum. So ten months after the fact, thanks for the answer that solved my problem.

Hi Folks. I found a solution that worked for me:

Close Skype
go to /Library/QuickTime/
DELETE this file: CamCamX5.component
Open and login skype ;-)

Please give credit to our french brothers:
http://forum.mac4ever.com/post607938.html#p607938

:)

donjuan2009

macrumors member
May 13, 2009
If you have oovoo that is a problem you need to close the program, oovoo takes control of you video camera and will not let you use it..

siliconfarm.com

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2010
blame google

For me the googletalk plugin was the issue.
I quit the process from the activity monitor, it crashed firefox where gmail was open, but the camera was available again.

niiiiiick

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2010
Tried it all

Don't have CamCamX5.component. Tried deleting everything in /Library/QuickTime. Tried recording a video in QuickTime. Skype still is saying my iSight Camera is in use by another application. Anymore ideas?

lucaguti

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2011
now Quick Time crashes!

Don't have CamCamX5.component. Tried deleting everything in /Library/QuickTime. Tried recording a video in QuickTime. Skype still is saying my iSight Camera is in use by another application. Anymore ideas?

Same problem: don't have that CamCamX5 component and recording a video with Quick Time is impossible because it crashes as soon as I try recording. Camera works fine in Photo Booth and iChat though!
Any new ideas?

SHADO

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Beach
Mine kinda randomly started working again a while ago after I updated OSX and there was a Skype update issued. I have no idea what caused it to start working tho.

achi

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
退出 (You have to CLOSE SKYPE)
1. 進入左上 [finder] (left corner to enter)
img> http://www.u-file.net/f-uqi7898

2.按 Command+ F ( select: OTHER )
img> http://www.u-file.net/f-crl7881

3. 眼睛仔細找並打勾 [系統檔案]; 按[好] 退出 (search and select: SYSTEM
img> http://www.u-file.net/f-bjz6481

4. 照這樣選 [包含]; 後打入 [CamCamX5.component] 就可以找到[它] 刪除了!
(Select SYSTEM & INCLUDE; type in "CamCamX5.component;" now you'll see it, delete it, Skype Video works !! )
img> http://www.u-file.net/f-gjg6130

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.