Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingrj46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
This may be a very dumb question, but here is my situation. I am getting an Ibook G3 from a friend and it is kinda old, I think the HD is about 20gb and i am sure it is running panther. I would at least like it to run tiger, that is what i have in my intel mac mini. Is there a way to clone the HD of my mini and maybe get a slightly bigger HD for the ibook and just use the clone from the mini in the ibook? I dont want to put much money into the ibook as far as buying the os and such because im sure it has or will get the gpu problem sooner or later. I just want to know if it is possible to do this task. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Not unless it's an old Mac mini (IE: shipped with and running 10.4) and, even then, you're violating the license for the OS. The highest system supported by your G3 is Tiger (10.4). You can install 10.5 on it but you will need to hack the install CD to bypass the installer checks. 10.6 will never run on the G3 no matter what you do.

kingrj46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
Not unless it's an old Mac mini and, even then, you're violating the license for the OS. The highest system supported by your G3 is Tiger (10.4). You can install 10.5 on it but you will need to hack the install CD to bypass the installer checks. 10.6 will never run on the G3 no matter what you do.

Whats an old mac mini? I got mine like in 07..I really only want to put Tiger on it, not really leopard. This will not be a primary laptop but more for like maybe school papers and internet. That is why i dont want to invest much or any if i can avoid it. ebay has the install discs for tiger but probably at minimum spending about 50 bucks. a little much for a basic laptop i wont use much. i guess i gotta use it as is or find another solution

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
If your Mac mini uses an Intel processer there's no way that the hard drive can be cloned and used on a PowerPC iBook.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Tiger as well as Leopard has code for both Intel and PPC Macs. It's only the partition label that is different between the two and what keeps one from booting into the other. You could partition the iBook to APM(Apple Partition Map) using Disc Utility while it's connected to the Mini via Target Disc Mode(Firewire cable) and then using a cloning app to clone the disc over. Intel Macs use GUID.

kingrj46

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 29, 2007
I see, i may try that. I need to get the ibook first. My friend has not brought it to me yet. But thanks, i will see what I can do. Any other advice is appreciated as well..Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.