Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lacynpiper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2009
Hi All,

I'm new because, honestly, I haven't had any problems with my computer that my university's ITS department couldn't handle. I have now graduated and have a big problem. From the little bit I've read, it seems that my computer may have met the end of its life. I would LOVE some advice on what could be the problem and it it's possible or even feasible to fix it. Here's what happened:

I was on the internet. My computer had been running a little slower than usual, but that happens from time to time so I ignored it. Without any warning, it dies. Dead. Screen is black. CPU has stopped making noise. Dead silence. I flipped it over to check the battery. Just as it had said before it died, it was fully charged. It was and still is plugged into a replacement charging cord. I flip it back over and press the power button. It makes a similar sound to the one that it makes when I shut it down. So I pressed the power button, nothing happened. I wait 10 seconds and hold it down until it responds and it powered back up just fine. Perhaps slower than usual but I so rarely shut down my computer that I honestly am not sure. So far it hasn't done it again, but I haven't used it in 18 hours.

Oh and the stats:
2005 iBook G4
1.33 GHz PowerPC G4
768 MB RAM - both sets of memory have an "OK" status
Battery: Good status, 276 cycle count
Leopard OS

Thank you for any help!

MacOCD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
Hi All,

I'm new because, honestly, I haven't had any problems with my computer that my university's ITS department couldn't handle. I have now graduated and have a big problem. From the little bit I've read, it seems that my computer may have met the end of its life. I would LOVE some advice on what could be the problem and it it's possible or even feasible to fix it. Here's what happened:

I was on the internet. My computer had been running a little slower than usual, but that happens from time to time so I ignored it. Without any warning, it dies. Dead. Screen is black. CPU has stopped making noise. Dead silence. I flipped it over to check the battery. Just as it had said before it died, it was fully charged. It was and still is plugged into a replacement charging cord. I flip it back over and press the power button. It makes a similar sound to the one that it makes when I shut it down. So I pressed the power button, nothing happened. I wait 10 seconds and hold it down until it responds and it powered back up just fine. Perhaps slower than usual but I so rarely shut down my computer that I honestly am not sure. So far it hasn't done it again, but I haven't used it in 18 hours.

Oh and the stats:
2005 iBook G4
1.33 GHz PowerPC G4
768 MB RAM - both sets of memory have an "OK" status
Battery: Good status, 276 cycle count
Leopard OS

Thank you for any help!

I'm not an expert at this but the slowness may just be a full computer, you may want to use onyx to clean some cache files. Also about the shutting down, you may have a problem with the glue that holds your Heat Sink to your processor, sometimes this glue can wear off and if it gets hot, the computer will get confused and think the computer is way over heated, and internally shutdown to save the processor.

Again not an expert just going off what I know and similar experiences.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.