Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
every single time, whenever i try to restore, i get the itunes 1600 error.

i have no clue what im doing wrong. i have jailbroken/unlocked my 3GS before. i had to get a new one the other day because the battery kept draining too quickly (at stock, every setting was off), and somehow, mine just refuses to accept custom firmware. i literally can jailbreak/unlock any other iphone but my own. in fact, i just jailbroke and unlocked an iphone 3G at 3.1.2 using the exact same method ive done for my 3GS. ive tried my windows machine, my dads macbook pro, and my own macbook pro, and they ALL say that my phone has the 1600 error. i dont think its my usb cable or port, because ive tried both ports and my usb hub, as well as different cables.

last time i got this error, i believe i just turned off the internet. but now when i do that, itunes refuses to see my iphone (when its in DFU/recovery mode) because it cant connect to the internet.

of course, i can restore just perfectly with the stock firmware. i KNOW this phone is jailbreakable...what the heck should i do now?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Sounds like you got one of the more recent 3gs with the modified iBoot. You'll need to use blckra1n to jailbreak it, and it'll be a tethered jailbreak.

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
Wow, that's weird!

I'd try blackra1n anyway. I think pwnage tool sometimes had problems with previously unjailbroken 3gs.

i think i will. thats the only thing i didnt do. if that works, guess ill have to settle for that.

thanks for the input man, i appreciate it!

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
i re-ran blackra1n, got it to work, then after installing winterboard, it got stuck at the apple logo and kept restarting. i put it to recovery mode (turned it off manually, then held down just the home button and then plugged it into my computer), and i restored using custom firmware, and holy mother of god, it accepted it.

this has been the absolute most weird iphone ive ever seen.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
If your phone is not currently already jailbroken, you have to use PwnageTool to pwn your phone before you can install a custom firmware. Only a pwned phone can accept a pwned firmware. Tondo this, make sure your phone is connected to your computer, create a new custom firmware, and, when asked, say that your phone is not previously pwned. PwnageTool will then plement the 24Kpwn to bypass the signature check.

ETA: the reason installing the custom furmware worked after you used blackra1n is that blackra1n implements the 24kpwn, just like PwnageTool. This breaks the chain-of-trust and allows a custom firmware to be installed.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
160x errors are USB errors. I know the problem is solved, but it's better you know.

Next time you see 160x error, try another port, doesn't work, try rebooting laptop/desktop, doesn't work, try another computer.

If by this time it doesn't work, call Apple.

Moi un Mouton

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2008
Bracknell UK
160x errors are USB errors. I know the problem is solved, but it's better you know.

Next time you see 160x error, try another port, doesn't work, try rebooting laptop/desktop, doesn't work, try another computer.

Even demi-gods should read the thread, not just the title :)

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007

already did so and stated it in my OP :)

the latinist - trust me, i was doing exactly that. ive been jailbreaking/unlocking for years now and its never ever failed on me until now. thats what i thought too, but pwnage tool didnt even see my iphone 3GS when i wanted to put it in DFU mode (had to do it manually). it saw literally every other iphone but mine. i actually created 2 custom firmwares - one that i said no to if it was previously pwned and the other that i clicked yes to, just to see if that would make any difference. my old 3GS just accepted the custom firmware without any problem.

well now the issue is thankfully resolved :)

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
already did so and stated it in my OP :)

the latinist - trust me, i was doing exactly that. ive been jailbreaking/unlocking for years now and its never ever failed on me until now. thats what i thought too, but pwnage tool didnt even see my iphone 3GS when i wanted to put it in DFU mode (had to do it manually). it saw literally every other iphone but mine. i actually created 2 custom firmwares - one that i said no to if it was previously pwned and the other that i clicked yes to, just to see if that would make any difference. my old 3GS just accepted the custom firmware without any problem.

well now the issue is thankfully resolved :)

Clearly your other 3GS was already pwned. I don't think you understand: the pwning doesn't do anything to the custom firmware, it does something to iBoot. It happens right after you click "No" in PwnageTool. If you didn't have your phone plugged in or if it wasn't recognized by your computer at that time, it would not have been pwned. Unless PwnageTool told you your phone was pwned, it wasn't -- and that is why it wouldn't accept a custom firmware until after you blackra1ned it.

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
i am having this exact problem right now. i was having issues with my already pwned 3gs, so i decided it was time to start anew. i also decided the partition size i used before was too big, so i created a new ipsw with the default 608MB partition. pwned it just fine, but as with the last time i used the default partition size, sync speeds were painfully slow (i mean PAINFUL). don't know if it was due to the partition size, but last time i increased it and that solved all of my problems with USB transfers, so decided i'll just use the same ipsw as last time. well, fun fun, i go to reboot and put into recovery mode, and it won't go. just refused to get past the boot logo into recovery. :mad: so after trying like 10 times, i try DFU, and all i can get from that is the 1600 error.

what to do, what to do. unlike OP, I can NOT NOT NOT get into recovery mode, and can't get past 1600 error.

thinking, i still have my old 3.0 ipsw. AH HA! I'll use Saurik's server to validate my downgrade to 3.0, and then re-JB 3.1.2. 3.0 bing installed right now, and i get to save by 4.11 BB.

:D happy once again. just going to take an extra hour or so. oh well.

EDIT: Not so happy right now :( iPhone REFUSES to update to my custom ipsw, giving a 1604 error on 2 different computers while in Recovery mode and 1600 error if in DFU. So mad right now!!! at least our buddy Geohot got Blackra1n for us, though I didn't want to update my BB. Doing an iTunes 3.1.2 restore now, and its taking that for whatever reason. Don't understand why the pwnage tool ipsws wouldn't work (tried several). UGH!!!

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2007
i am having this exact problem right now. i was having issues with my already pwned 3gs, so i decided it was time to start anew. i also decided the partition size i used before was too big, so i created a new ipsw with the default 608MB partition. pwned it just fine, but as with the last time i used the default partition size, sync speeds were painfully slow (i mean PAINFUL). don't know if it was due to the partition size, but last time i increased it and that solved all of my problems with USB transfers, so decided i'll just use the same ipsw as last time. well, fun fun, i go to reboot and put into recovery mode, and it won't go. just refused to get past the boot logo into recovery. :mad: so after trying like 10 times, i try DFU, and all i can get from that is the 1600 error.

what to do, what to do. unlike OP, I can NOT NOT NOT get into recovery mode, and can't get past 1600 error.

thinking, i still have my old 3.0 ipsw. AH HA! I'll use Saurik's server to validate my downgrade to 3.0, and then re-JB 3.1.2. 3.0 bing installed right now, and i get to save by 4.11 BB.

:D happy once again. just going to take an extra hour or so. oh well.

lol jailbreak first using blackra1n. i was then able to put pwnage tools custom ipsw on it after :).

to get into DFU mode, turn off your iphone first first, then turn back on, holding down the power and home buttons together for exactly 10 seconds, then let go of the top power button, and then keep holding the home button until itunes says youve entered recovery mode. if it says it cant detect an ipod, just unplug and replug it back in - your iphone will stay in recovery mode still.

to get into recovery mode, leave itunes open and then unplug your iphone from the cable and turn it off. before turning it back on, hold the home button down while plugging the cable back in. itunes will then detect it in recovery mode. :)

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
lol jailbreak first using blackra1n. i was then able to put pwnage tools custom ipsw on it after :).

to get into DFU mode, turn off your iphone first first, then turn back on, holding down the power and home buttons together for exactly 10 seconds, then let go of the top power button, and then keep holding the home button until itunes says youve entered recovery mode. if it says it cant detect an ipod, just unplug and replug it back in - your iphone will stay in recovery mode still.

to get into recovery mode, leave itunes open and then unplug your iphone from the cable and turn it off. before turning it back on, hold the home button down while plugging the cable back in. itunes will then detect it in recovery mode. :)

thanks, but this i know! itunes/iphone still don't want to play nicely. finally got it to 3.1.2 with the 5 BB (wanted to keep my 4.11 - oh well), just ran BR, now waiting for Cydia to reorganize. this is taking WAAYYYYYYY longer that it should have. i should be asleep by now. :(

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
i'm so upset right now - i've restored to 3.1.2 twice now, and it is having problems booting, just sits on the apple logo FOREVER! just restored it - AGAIN - and booted up. ran blackra1n, took about 2 mins just to get into recovery mode, again sat there with apple logo, black rain ran, said waiting for reboot, and now just sitting with apple logo again, not doing anything. WTF? why is it taking so long to boot? i guess i'll just go to bed now and hope its all booted up in the morning.

i really really really don't want to have to take this thing into apple and get a replacement with a new bootrom. that would really ruin my day. i love being able to be jailbroken.

anyone have any insight as to what may be going on here?

scottuf

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2009
NPB, FL
an update if anyone cares...

left the phone syncing overnight (1am-7am) and of my 6000+ songs, it only got thru about 2500 so something still isn't right. also, it takes 4-5 min to reboot. i'm going to try to reinstall the pwned firmware that i had on it last time that worked. the problem is getting it into recovery mode to install that. holding the home button 20-30 seconds isn't taking, i have a feeling that i'll need to sit on it for much much longer. it doesn't even show up in system profiler, but if i wait long enough it boots.

maybe i'll try to downgrade one more time before pwning 3.1.2. this time i'll re-run redsn0w before upgrading to "re-pwn" it. maybe that's the missing step. UGH!!!

any ideas?

EDIT - PROBLEM SOLVED!!!

for those interested - problem was when i downgraded to 3.0 i didn't follow saurik's directions properly, i only restored once, should've restored twice. the 2nd time reformats the nand. i think by not doing that step the iphone was having problems booting, and all usb sync connections. i am now happily back on 3.1.2 FW, even though i have 5.11 BB, thanks to geohot, i can still unlock if needed. all is good once again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.