Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
10 day trial on Rock App... finally! It opens Google Maps and allows you to fake a location for a specific app. NO MORE BLACKOUTS for MLB or NBA apps!! Now we can watch sports that we want to no matter what state you're in! Anybody besides me download this? It just came out today.

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
I have it, used it with google maps and it appears to work. Don't really see much use for it though to be honest.

I thought websites that check where you live (such as hulu) used your IP and not any kind of GPS data so this app wouldn't apply to such websites. I'd imagine it would be the same for the apps you spoke of.
Did you actually try it?

megapopular

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 21, 2007
Yes, I've used it!

I used it... People who have MLB app or NBA app can be blocked from watching some games due to blackout rules. I'm in NY and couldn't watch NY Knicks basketball games... Live or replay... The Fake Location app works just like 3G unrestrictor where you select which apps you want it to work with, so for the NBA app, I chose to fake my location in Texas. Once that was done I was able to watch both live games and replays of NY Knicks games. I suppose you could trick location sharing apps to show you were in a different area, too. I'll do more testing with it today and will post it on here.

kAoTiX

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
Midlands, UK
Would be funny for google latitude to say you're right next to a friend and scare them when they think you're close by but they can't see you anywhere.
I can't honestly think of any other location based apps but I guess there must be some.

I also tried with TomTom but I couldn't get a GPS signal, didn't try very hard so it might still work. Surely the position would be static though.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I might actually get MLB next season if this really works. I thought it was pointless that I couldnt see my team when i was out of my house. I dont really watch any other teams until the playoffs roll around. Now Football is a different story, I can watch any football game so an NFL live app would rock

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
You don't need this app if you're going to use it with NBA League Pass. There's a deb file you can install using iFile which can fake your ZIP code, removing the blackout. There's a video tutorial on YouTube.

teaman27

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2010
Map not working FakeLocation app

I installed the app, but the map shows up all blue and I cannot see where I am moving the pointer to select the fake location. Any ideas?

TaylorJ

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
There are still national blackouts. Which happens almost every day. Even with fake location NBA league pass has national blackouts. You cant say no games are blacked out. You can only bypass the local restrictions since the app thinks your in ex. texas or whatever, but you cant bypass national blackouts.

jackrwx

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
I have used FakeLocation and LocationHolic. I think LocationHolic is much more easy to use. LocationHolic can be installed from Cydia.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.