Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pmakker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
Need some help here...All of a sudden my "Enter" key next to my space bar (Macbook Pro Santa Rosa) stopped working in OS X. However it still works in boot camp. This is annoying to me because I primarily use that key instead of the main return key. OS X doesn't seem to recognize me pushing this key at all. Even if I go to keyboard shortcuts and try to change any random thing to the enter key, nothing happens when I press that enter. It is as if it doesn't even know I'm pushing anything.

Please help:confused:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Have you popped the key off and cleaned under it? Maybe try some compressed air first. Was anything spilled on it?

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
I know the keyboards vary around the world but I've yet to see an enter/return key next to the space bar.
Command/apple key is either side and option/alt next.

Check the System prefs > Keyboard > modifier keys > drop down list.

Have you installed software to change the command or option/alt keys into the windows key?

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
He said the key worked in bootcamp, read posts more carefully before replying.

Here's another constructive suggestion:

com.apple.keyboardtype.plist
It's not found in your User path,
just Library / Preferences

Maybe it's corrupt. (?) Won't hurt to find out, but don't delete it, just in case. Move it to the Desktop. (You can always put it back.) You might have to Restart to create a new one.

bocciaman

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
Enter key on full Mac keyboard not working

I had this problem where the "Enter" key on my numeric pad on my full, wired Mac keyboard wouldn't respond. So I did some searching and found it was related to a program called DoubleCommand, which made that single "Enter key into a "Command" key.

I re-mapped it and it finally worked.

drunkskeeterpilot

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2015
Need some help here...All of a sudden my "Enter" key next to my space bar (Macbook Pro Santa Rosa) stopped working in OS X. However it still works in boot camp. This is annoying to me because I primarily use that key instead of the main return key. OS X doesn't seem to recognize me pushing this key at all. Even if I go to keyboard shortcuts and try to change any random thing to the enter key, nothing happens when I press that enter. It is as if it doesn't even know I'm pushing anything.

Please help:confused:

If you're asking in the context of certain programs like TextWrangler specifically, that one has a preference to make Enter key produce a Return stroke. The Return and Enter keys are different on MAC than on Windows full keyboards, which see them both as the same key -- Enter (return).

ianGr

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
If you're asking in the context of certain programs like TextWrangler specifically, that one has a preference to make Enter key produce a Return stroke. The Return and Enter keys are different on MAC than on Windows full keyboards, which see them both as the same key -- Enter (return).
I've used Text Wrangler and BBEdit for many years and this problem only just struck me now, after recently upgrading to Big Sur. Simply setting that preference in BBEdit fixed this instantly. What were they thinking?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.