Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Hi Everyone.
I'm new to the iPhone. I just got it in October but I am still trying to figure out iTunes and the syncing thing.

Here's what happened: I bought the phone and synced it with my old Dell laptop using iTunes (not sure which version--maybe 8.x??). It took awhile be/c the laptop only had USB 1.0 but it worked OK. I even got the latest OS update for the iPhone. Then the laptop died; I mean dead. Considering it was 9 years old, I sprung for a new HP. I just downloaded iTunes 9.0.2.25 last night but when I go to sync the phone I get a message saying that says my iPhone was synced to another library (the other version of iTunes?) and that I could possibly OVERWRITE my apps (and who knows what else) if I continue.

I'm new to Apple products and have little experience with iTunes so I was hoping someone could shed some light on what is happening. Is there a way around this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I did do a search through the forums but came up empty. Even if someone could direct me to a thread that addresses this issue would be great.

Thanks,
Paul

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
I don't want to lose my photos and the apps that I bought. Also, all my contacts, a password app and a checkbook app. I didn't have any music yet.

My PC was acting strange so I started to back what I could up to CD before it died. After I made my initial post here on this forum I realized that I had actually made a backup of the iTunesSetup.exe program along with the following folders: Apple, Apple Software Update, Bonjour, iPod & iTunes. Do you think all my original data is in these files I backed up? If so, can I uninstall iTunes 9.0.2.25 and reinstall the version of iTunes I had on the old laptop and run it? I don't remember exactly where the previously mentioned folders came from on the C: drive. I'm thinking under Programs. I guess I'm wondering if iTunes is going to know where these files are to run and find all my old data.

Whew, what a mess.

Could I just run the latest iTunes I have now on the new laptop (9.0.2.25) and copy the necessary data files from what I was able to back up and sync that way?

Thanks again.
--Paul

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
I don't want to lose my photos and the apps that I bought. Also, all my contacts, a password app and a checkbook app. I didn't have any music yet.

My PC was acting strange so I started to back what I could up to CD before it died. After I made my initial post here on this forum I realized that I had actually made a backup of the iTunesSetup.exe program along with the following folders: Apple, Apple Software Update, Bonjour, iPod & iTunes. Do you think all my original data is in these files I backed up? If so, can I uninstall iTunes 9.0.2.25 and reinstall the version of iTunes I had on the old laptop and run it? I don't remember exactly where the previously mentioned folders came from on the C: drive. I'm thinking under Programs. I guess I'm wondering if iTunes is going to know where these files are to run and find all my old data.

Whew, what a mess.

Could I just run the latest iTunes I have now on the new laptop (9.0.2.25) and copy the necessary data files from what I was able to back up and sync that way?

Thanks again.
--Paul

Okay, first you can't sync anything, because you have nothing to sync. Restoring from a backup does a sync after, but you don't have anything on your computer to sync.

The backup would've been located in these folders depending on what OS you had:

On Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

On Windows Vista:
C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\AppleComputer\MobileSync\Backup

So, if you had those folders on your CD then you could copy the Backup folder from the CD to one of those locations when you installed iTunes.

Let me know what you have and we'll take it further from there depending on what you're options are. You'll be looking for the MobileSync folder on that CD.

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
I was running Win XP Home SP2. It appears I did not copy the files you have mentioned. I searched thru all the CDs and did not find them. Plan B? :(

Well, I guess I could have the data on my old HDD retrieved by a professional (I think the HDD might be OK) and then come back to you to walk me through it when I get the MobileSync folder back.

Or, if my old HDD is essentially OK, is it possible to retrieve the contents of the drive myself by buying an internal HDD enclosure? If I did that, could I see the data on the old HDD (Win XP) with my new PC (Win 7)?? I know nothing about internal HDD enclosures.

I guess it boils down to cost??

Thanks for helping me with this. If you think my situation warrants me going to a professional, let me know. I don't want to become a nuisance.

Best Regards,
--Paul

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
It's no problem helping you. That's what we're here for.

Okay, I'd forget about the old HD. If something goes wrong with what I'm about to tell you, then you can go see what you can do with it.

Here's what I'd do:

I have a post, which talks about how to get the iPhone backup off the iPhone onto your computer:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/8970184/

The software in that post is free except DiskAid, which costs $10, I believe. I got it for free. This will allow you to get everything off in some shape or form. It's not perfect, but it's something.

Sharepod, totally free, can be used to get pics off the iPhone. It's great software, and also can be used for music.

Funambol, which is now on a 90 day trial (I got it for free, and have it forever), can be used to make an online backup of your contacts. Do this! It's great if anything ever happens. However, you'll only have 90 days unless you want to do what is required by the website.

Now that you have everything in a safe place, you can then plug your iPhone into iTunes and click backup to backup your iPhone. If this works properly, you could skip the DiskAid above and then do the rest from that post on the backup you just made. Also, make sure to click transfer purchases under the iPhone icon on the left pane to get all your apps on to your computer, so they'll be available for syncing.

Now, restore the phone, it'll say it's going to erase everything. Let it, then at the end restore from the backup. Hopefully, you get most if not everything. Whatever you don't get, you can use the stuff you saved above to replace it. For contacts you can use Funambol to get the contacts. You'll need to get the contacts to Outlook later so you can have them for syncing, so make sure you sync them by checking them to be synced sometime after all this.

Hope this helps, and as always, YMMV. :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that you need to transfer purchases above before you restore. I added it in case you read this last.

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Thanks, aggie.

I downloaded and installed DiskAid (trial version) but it won't run. It shows up in the Task Manager but nothing on the screen. I even uninstalled and reinstalled but no go. I'm not going to bother with it be/c I only stand to lose about $14 worth of apps. I'll just rebuy those. Unless you know specifically know why it might not run on Win 7??

Win 7 also allowed me to see all the photos and vids on the iPhone so I just copied those to my PC's HDD.

I'm not too crazy about sending all my contacts to funambol's server on the internet somewhere. Is it secure?

I don't need menoob be/c I don't have any text messages to speak of.

I do have some notes in the NOTES program but nothing critical.

I'm off to download Backup Extractor now.

Just so I understand:
1) run funambol and save all my contacts (I'm assuming I can delete them off the server later?)
1.1) run the Backup Extractor to get the backup files off the iphone an onto my PC
2) run iTunes (latest version) and click "backup" to backup the phone (making sure I click "transfer purchases" so they are available for syncing later)
3) run iTunes and "restore" the phone letting iTunes overwrite everything on the phone.
4) then restore from the backup....which backup? The backup I made with the Backup Extractor or the backup iTunes just made from the data I'm trying to save off of the phone?
5) whatever contacts don't get transferred to the phone I can replace by using funambol
6) whatever apps don't make it I will have to rebuy.

As you can see I'm a little confused in 4)

I'm not going to do anything until see your next post.

--Paul

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
I'll answer you in red.

Thanks, aggie.

I downloaded and installed DiskAid (trial version) but it won't run. It shows up in the Task Manager but nothing on the screen. I even uninstalled and reinstalled but no go. I'm not going to bother with it be/c I only stand to lose about $14 worth of apps. I'll just rebuy those. You won't lose any apps. You're going to transfer purchases as you said below. Even if they didn't transfer, they're free for re-download as long as you sign on with your iTunes username. Unless you know specifically know why it might not run on Win 7?? I don't have Windows 7, so maybe the software is not written for it. It would say on the website.

Win 7 also allowed me to see all the photos and vids on the iPhone so I just copied those to my PC's HDD.

I'm not too crazy about sending all my contacts to funambol's server on the internet somewhere. Is it secure? Yes, it's very secure. There were other similar programs that would spam your contacts, but Funambol is not one of them. They have a privacy policy, which is why I recommend them.

I don't need menoob be/c I don't have any text messages to speak of.

I do have some notes in the NOTES program but nothing critical.

Notes, text messages, etc. can be obtained from the link I gave you and the software in that link.

I'm off to download Backup Extractor now.

Just so I understand:
1) run funambol and save all my contacts (I'm assuming I can delete them off the server later?) Yes, you can, but I'd leave them there for safety. You can't buy funambol. They'll extend the 90 days if you contribute to the website by helping with the app. Anyway, sync with Funambol. In settings, make sure you do a one way sync - from iPhone to Funambol.

2) run iTunes (latest version) and click "backup" to backup the phone (making sure I click "transfer purchases" so they are available for syncing later) The transfer purchases transfers the apps you talked about above.

Since you couldn't get DiskAid to work, it's here where you'll use Backup Extractor to work with the backup you just made. Don't do anything else in iTunes until you get all you can from the backup.

3) run iTunes and "restore" the phone letting iTunes overwrite everything on the phone. Yes, it's scary, but what are you gonna do.
4) then restore from the backup....which backup? The backup I made with the Backup Extractor or the backup iTunes just made from the data I'm trying to save off of the phone? Restore from the only backup you have (the one from iTunes). Backup Extractor doesn't make a backup; it reads the backup and extracts data.
5) whatever contacts don't get transferred to the phone I can replace by using funambol. Yes, Funambol is your failsafe.
6) whatever apps don't make it I will have to rebuy. No, see above.

As you can see I'm a little confused in 4)

I'm not going to do anything until see your next post.

Hopefully, I didn't miss anything in the steps. Take it slow and you should be okay. Read that link thoroughly and any links it goes to. If you aren't sure about something, make another post and ask. If I don't respond, it's because I'm asleep, but will get back to you when I can, if you can wait.
--Paul

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Awesome, thank you for the clarifications.

I'm fried. Going to bed. I will re-read everything and try tomorrow. I have to find some time tomorrow when I won't be interrupted. I'm in no hurry. I want to do this right. I appreciate your posts.

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Still alive.

Blizzard is here in the Northeast. Hope Bunnie Land is having nicer weather.

So I was able to run DiskAid but it wouldn't let me look at the Root directory be/c my phone isn't jail broke. I didn't fiddle with it anymore after that.

I uploaded all my contacts to funambol. That went good.

I ran iTunes and transferred my purchases...first I had to authorize my PC
Next I r-clicked and ran "backup". That went OK too.

I ran Backup Extractor and that wouldn't work be/c I forgot to uncheck the encryption in iTunes since Backup Extractor doesn't support an encrypted backup.

Now I am running Backup Extractor but be/c I'm using the free, unregistered version I am extracting each file manually. What a drag. Since we're snowed in I guess there isn't much else to do anyway. I'm starting to think that spending $24 might be worth it to extract everything at once. Any tips on how to do this faster/easier or is this just what it is?

If I understand this correctly, I will extract everything possible using Backup Extractor then I will run iTunes again and do a "restore".

If after the restore I don't have everything I had originally on the phone, then I have fun trying to reinsert all that stuff I just extracted, right? You'll certainly see more posts from me if that happens :)

Hope your weekend is snow free (unless you like snow)
--Paul

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Comments in Red.

Still alive.

Blizzard is here in the Northeast. Hope Bunnie Land is having nicer weather. ~20 inches here.

So I was able to run DiskAid but it wouldn't let me look at the Root directory be/c my phone isn't jail broke. I didn't fiddle with it anymore after that. I didn't think it had to be jailbroke to get to that. It's been so long since I used, maybe you're right.

I uploaded all my contacts to funambol. That went good.

I ran iTunes and transferred my purchases...first I had to authorize my PC
Next I r-clicked and ran "backup". That went OK too.

I ran Backup Extractor and that wouldn't work be/c I forgot to uncheck the encryption in iTunes since Backup Extractor doesn't support an encrypted backup. I supposed you backed it up again after you removed the encryption? I wouldn't encrypt backups, ever, but that's just me.

Now I am running Backup Extractor but be/c I'm using the free, unregistered version I am extracting each file manually. What a drag. Since we're snowed in I guess there isn't much else to do anyway. I'm starting to think that spending $24 might be worth it to extract everything at once. Any tips on how to do this faster/easier or is this just what it is?

The manual way is no big deal since your only getting a few files. Contacts, if you want, but you have the Funambol backup. Just make sure to read the way to get contacts that I talked about later in my post that I linked. You may not want to bother, since you won't be able to upload this info directly to the phone (maybe there's a way, but it's not important enough for me to find out). However, you'll have a hard copy of them if you have to manually reenter. Notes. Whatever else you need. You won't have to worry about pics or music, since you got all that already.

If I understand this correctly, I will extract everything possible using Backup Extractor then I will run iTunes again and do a "restore". Yes.

If after the restore I don't have everything I had originally on the phone, then I have fun trying to reinsert all that stuff I just extracted, right? You'll certainly see more posts from me if that happens :) After you start the restore, you'll get a message saying everything is going to be deleted, since it's the first time using on this computer. I don't remember if it says, "do you want to backup" (if it does say yes, even though you already did). After it goes through all the restoring, it will say do you want to restore as new or from a backup. Pick backup. Hopefully you should be good to go in a bit after getting this post.

Hope your weekend is snow free (unless you like snow)
--Paul

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
20"? Yipe. We got about 15" to 16". I've been shoveling all morning. Wouldn't it be funny if you lived in the next town over from me?

I appreciate the detail on what happens when I am doing the restore/backup for the final time with iTunes. It's good to know what to expect and that I am on the right track.

I'll let you know how I make out.

And yes, I did uncheck encrypted backup and backed it up again. Why do you not use the encryption--is it because you may have to do what you are helping me to do right now?

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
20"? Yipe. We got about 15" to 16". I've been shoveling all morning. Wouldn't it be funny if you lived in the next town over from me?

I appreciate the detail on what happens when I am doing the restore/backup for the final time with iTunes. It's good to know what to expect and that I am on the right track.

I'll let you know how I make out.

And yes, I did uncheck encrypted backup and backed it up again. Why do you not use the encryption--is it because you may have to do what you are helping me to do right now?

I don't encrypt, because I don't want to not be able to access the backup if I have to for some reason. I also don't see how someone is going to see my backup in my house, so why encrypt.

Please let me know how you make out.

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
OK so I was just about to run the restore in iTunes by r-clicking on my name on the left pane. There is a choice there that reads: Restore from Backup...

I'm assuming the three dots mean there might be another menu behind it but I don't want to click for fear of starting something I cannot reverse.
Is it possible that I could just "Restore from Backup" without doing the "restore" step? What I mean is, is this later version of iTunes different than what you have? I am running iTunes 9.0.2.25.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
I forget what the difference is between the left pane restore and the restore in the middle pane. To be safe, just do the restore from the middle pane and then later when it asks pick restore from backup.

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
It looks like everything except my App Store Apps made it to the phone. All the apps I had, however, do show up in iTunes when I click on the Applications button on the left pane under Libraries.

Could I r-click on my username in the left pane and click on "transfer purchases" and have them transfer to the iPhone? I know you said I could download them again from the App store but I would rather transfer them somehow since 2 of them have data I would like to keep.

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
It looks like everything except my App Store Apps made it to the phone. All the apps I had, however, do show up in iTunes when I click on the Applications button on the left pane under Libraries.

Could I r-click on my username in the left pane and click on "transfer purchases" and have them transfer to the iPhone? I know you said I could download them again from the App store but I would rather transfer them somehow since 2 of them have data I would like to keep.

This because you restored from the backup and you haven't synced yet.

So, now you're going to click on the middle pane again and sync your phone (after you go thru all stuff you're going to sync).

Anyway, click the apps part and after the sync you'll have your apps.

This a good time to sync your contacts, notes and calendar (if you had any calendar stuff) to Outlook. Some people never do that and it does come to bite them in the butt later.

Glad it looks like it worked for you. Thanks for letting me know.

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Yay!! It worked. I have everything. Even the password keeper and checkbook app still had all my data.

Mil Gracias, aggie.

You saved me from losing a lot of work and certain insanity. Now I'm off to check out external HDDs so I can back stuff up properly.

Read you around the forums :)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
BTW, I was wondering when you got your contacts. In other words, did you get them right after you restored from the backup? I had always thought contacts weren't contained in a backup, but are synced, which is why I ask.

Glad everything went well for you. :)

Edit: This link might answer my own question:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

In there it states the Address Book is backed up. I didn't catch that before. So, Address Book (contacts) seem to be backed up.

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
BTW, I was wondering when you got your contacts. In other words, did you get them right after you restored from the backup? I had always thought contacts weren't contained in a backup, but are synced, which is why I ask.

Glad everything went well for you. :)

Edit: This link might answer my own question:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1766

In there it states the Address Book is backed up. I didn't catch that before. So, Address Book (contacts) seem to be backed up.

Yes, all my contacts were restored with the backup. Right after the restoration from the backup I checked to see what was put back on the phone. Everything was there except the apps I purchased/downloaded for free.

I don't know about syncing with Outlook etc. Is that a separate syncing operation? I'm so new at using iTunes plus I don't even have Outlook right now.

Looking for a decent free email client. Thinking about Mozilla Thunderbird.

I'm glad everything went well too--largely due to your help, of course ;)

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Yes, all my contacts were restored with the backup. Right after the restoration from the backup I checked to see what was put back on the phone. Everything was there except the apps I purchased/downloaded for free.

I don't know about syncing with Outlook etc. Is that a separate syncing operation? I'm so new at using iTunes plus I don't even have Outlook right now.

Looking for a decent free email client. Thinking about Mozilla Thunderbird.

I'm glad everything went well too--largely due to your help, of course ;)

Well, if you don't have Outlook, you can use Windows Address Book (I see it's called Windows Contacts in Vista now....why can't they just leave things the same). The next time you do a sync, under the Info tab it'll have Contacts, Calendar, Notes, etc. During the sync it may say something like contacts are going to be replaced or merged, do you want to replace or merge. Merge is safer, but pay attention to what it says. You click on each to tell it what to program on your computer to sync with. It's just always better to have more than one place to get your stuff back (like the backup of your contacts in Funambol).

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
Well, if you don't have Outlook, you can use Windows Address Book (I see it's called Windows Contacts in Vista now....why can't they just leave things the same). The next time you do a sync, under the Info tab it'll have Contacts, Calendar, Notes, etc. During the sync it may say something like contacts are going to be replaced or merged, do you want to replace or merge. Merge is safer, but pay attention to what it says. You click on each to tell it what to program on your computer to sync with. It's just always better to have more than one place to get your stuff back (like the backup of your contacts in Funambol).

I have Win 7, what is it called in that? :p I ask because Win 7 doesn't come with Windows Mail anymore. So I downloaded Mozilla Thunderbird to give it a try. I've been so busy trying to get Thunderbird to work (success last night) that I haven't played with iTunes and syncing anymore yet since I restored the iPhone to it. Can Thunderbird can be synced to iTunes?

Is Windows Mail a free download now? I tried looking for it but no luck. Admittedly, I didn't expend a lot of effort looking for it.

pauliedoggs

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 13, 2009
I believe it's called Windows Contacts still in Win 7. You can either use that or Outlook. No Thunder bird.

Thanks, I found it. Strange to have a contacts feature without the email part :confused: Why did MicroSoft cheap out? They just didn't want to support the software anymore?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.