Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onedamngoal

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Would it be possible to remove the Trackpad/Button from the MB Air and install the Full-Sized Trackpad from a MB Pro. Has anyone else thought about this?

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I don't know how this would work thickness wise, I think it may be too thick to fit with the room inside the Air.

potdude

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2007
Do you want to know who has thought about this? Apple has and the fact that the Macbook Air doesn't come with a glass trackpad answers your question.

Would it be possible to remove the Trackpad/Button from the MB Air and install the Full-Sized Trackpad from a MB Pro. Has anyone else thought about this?

ayeying

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2007
Yay Area, CA
Do you want to know who has thought about this? Apple has and the fact that the Macbook Air doesn't come with a glass trackpad answers your question.

Just because Apple doesn't put one in doesn't exactly means it won't work. There might be issues, but unless someone try it, it's not fact its just speculation.

Mactagonist

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2008
NYC - Manhattan
I would love to see this mod work, after getting used to the buttonless trackpad of my MBP the rattely cheesy button on the MBA seems like a primitive relic! :)

here's hoping for the new trackpad in the next generation MBA!

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
The reason the current MBA's don't have them is because Apple could not fit the mechanism for it in at the thickness that the MBA is. I am sure that if Apple could have put in there they would have but right now there is no way of doing it without increasing the thickness of the machine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.